STEVEN TAYLOR has turned down a new five-year contract

Sever07

He's already set for life. If he thinks him being a Geordie is what sets him apart, then let him prove it by not moaning about his pay, it's the money grabbing barstards that should be getting cut. As for the assertion that this doesn't affect his play, that's got to be balls too.

Having your dad as your agent is pure daft too, much like Anelka and his brothers, coincidentally money grabbers too.

you seem in the know. How much was he offered?How much did he ask for? What were the terms of the contract?

How is he set for life? Does he have a trust fund from rich grandparentsd? has he shrewdly invested in various markets? Does he own great swathes of the Eastern European countryside?

:lol:

No you're right. He's just fucking slumming it in his massive house. Poor bastard. :yes

He's already set for life. If he thinks him being a Geordie is what sets him apart, then let him prove it by not moaning about his pay, it's the money grabbing barstards that should be getting cut. As for the assertion that this doesn't affect his play, that's got to be balls too.

Having your dad as your agent is pure daft too, much like Anelka and his brothers, coincidentally money grabbers too.

you seem in the know. How much was he offered?How much did he ask for? What were the terms of the contract?

How is he set for life? Does he have a trust fund from rich grandparentsd? has he shrewdly invested in various markets? Does he own great swathes of the Eastern European countryside?

:yes

No you're right. He's just fucking slumming it in his massive house. Poor bastard. :hunter:

:lol: I'm sure you'll note that at no point did I infer that he was "slumming it"

so, haway man, what's the particulars of the deal? I'm on tenter hooks here!

:lol:

I'm sure Oba can show him how to invest money in Nigeria.

and how to avoid a car jacking

:yes

I'm sure Oba can show him how to invest money in Nigeria.

and how to avoid a car jacking

....that he apparently wasn't even there for.. :lol:

10K may sound a lot to us but when you consider how much the other players are getting its an insult.

Owen got 10 times that for sitting on his backside for the best part of two years.

Under 21 captain no doubt soon in the senior team puts in 100% effort every game for us long term potential. Cant wait to get back when injured.

Give him a decent pay deal before some other club jumps in.

10K may sound a lot to us but when you consider how much the other players are getting its an insult.

Owen got 10 times that for sitting on his backside for the best part of two years.

Under 21 captain no doubt soon in the senior team puts in 100% effort every game for us long term potential. Cant wait to get back when injured.

Give him a decent pay deal before some other club jumps in.

Huddlestone and a lot of the Spurs young players are on the same as Taylor. I was surprised to find that Keane used to be thier highest earner last year on £32k basic.

His dad was a bit of a prick going public and coming out with some of the stuff he did, but if Taylor is asking to be at the same level as Milner and Zog then i think he's entitled to ask for that, he's in the same age bracket, has played more than Zog in the first team last season and has just been called up to the full England squad (albeit a bit too early).

If he was asking to match Owen's wages then we'd have a problem!

I think its fair enough him being bothered at the difference in wages between himself and the likes of Zog/Milner/Faye but hes gone about it the totally wrong way imo.

His "agent" (or as hes better known, his dad who saw a chance to sit on his arse and earn some of his kids money) should have kept his gob shut and negotiated properly. Quietly and confidently staking his clients case rather than shouting about how unfair it was and how he loves the club.

Spitting the dummy rarely wins the fans over tbh

I think its fair enough him being bothered at the difference in wages between himself and the likes of Zog/Milner/Faye but hes gone about it the totally wrong way imo.

His "agent" (or as hes better known, his dad who saw a chance to sit on his arse and earn some of his kids money) should have kept his gob shut and negotiated properly. Quietly and confidently staking his clients case rather than shouting about how unfair it was and how he loves the club.

Spitting the dummy rarely wins the fans over tbh

This is what happens when you hire a family member instead of a pro. Rarely works.

isn't it possible that rather than running to the press, the press ran to him?

How would the press know? negotiations arent public knowledge, it takes one of the two sides to make that information public before the press go running.

How would the press know? negotiations arent public knowledge, it takes one of the two sides to make that information public before the press go running.

I'm guessing people who've been reporting about the club for a while have contacts who'll drop them titbits now and then.

~I'm not saying he definitely didn't go to the press, just that I'm willing to keep an open mind is all.

I'm guessing people who've been reporting about the club for a while have contacts who'll drop them titbits now and then.

~I'm not saying he definitely didn't go to the press, just that I'm willing to keep an open mind is all.

I think even if he didnt go directly to them then his statement was poor to say the least.

I think even if he didnt go directly to them then his statement was poor to say the least.

Agreed. It might just be poor judgment, but it is that anyway.

Anyone know what his father does for a living?

What's this do?

wtf?

2 years on his contract, don't play fucking daft. His dad has gone off on one, nothing else to it

love to know where your insight is coming from.

really I do ;)

2 years on his contract, don't play fucking daft. His dad has gone off on one, nothing else to it

love to know where your insight is coming from.

really I do ;)

I'm just making it up, I really am, I imagined the whole thing, I really did.

It's not bad enough that I've just got in from a weekend of working on my new house and read the whole 'Taylor' thing going on but I see this as well -

Liverpool ready to fight for Newcastle defender

Newcastle's Steven Taylor could be a target for Liverpool. Taylor has not yet accepted a new contract offer from Newcastle and there is still uncertainty about his future.

Taylor is an England U.21 regular and one of the most promising young defenders in the Premiership. Liverpool might be a bit short of both central defenders and English players, and reports says that Rafael Benitez could try to sign Taylor in the January transfer window.

Though that was from some site called 'Soccervoice' so I'm not overly worried... in fact it bothers me a lot more that while away working on my house I met my new neighbour as well and it turns out he's a mackem ;)

Edited by Armchair Pundit

So fucking what? Steven Taylor keeps going on about the fact that playing for Newcastle United is the most important thing to him. If that's true then sign the contract and shut the fuck up!!!

He's been offered what he's been offered. If he's true to his word, he'll sign the contract. If he doesn't sign it, then his salary is more important to him and off he'll go.

N'Zog and Milner are nearer 1st team selection (both in terms of ability and in comparison to their peers), IMO...

N'Zog and Milner are nearer 1st team selection (both in terms of ability and in comparison to their peers), IMO...

There is definitely truth in that, Zoggy has shown he is decent at left-back and better in his favoured position. Being a natural left-footed player there can only be Enrique and Babayaro pushing for left-back and Duff for his favoured position.

As for Milner, with Nobby gone he seems to be the only right-sided player we have to play wide right. And he can also play wide left but I don't think he could unseat Zoggy on his current form.

He's been offered what he's been offered. If he's true to his word, he'll sign the contract. If he doesn't sign it, then his salary is more important to him and off he'll go.

Shearer loved the club, his contract still stipulated he had to be the best paid player at the club...

We have no idea what he's been offered so how can you possibly say that he should accept it? He's rejected this round of talks, it's hardly like he's rejected the contract and stormed off in a huff is it?

This smacks of people wanting to feel indignant about something, anything and this story will suffice.

We have no idea what he's been offered, no idea what he's asked for, no idea what the clauses and stipulations were, no idea the breakdown of the contract what-so-ever. I really don't think we should lose our heads over something as inconsequential as one round of contract talks when the player has another couple of years to go on his original.

you lot are a right bunch of drama queens

I don't think that's at all fair tbh Craig. Do you seriously believe Taylor should just say yes thank you to anything (and yes I know it's hardly minimum wage) just because he's playing for the club he supports?

Taylor still has a lot to learn to be the real top class player many seem to think he already is, but he's been one of the few bright spots over the last couple of years being easily our best defender. He's captain of the U21's and had a call up to the England full squad. Just because at the moment Milner and N'Zogbia don't have any competition in front of them for a place does that mean they should be automatically worth a considerably better contract than the lad?

Even if Roz and Cacapa are currently our best pairing they still have a long way to go before they are nailled on and Taylor remains very much part of the first team picture.

While I'm not too keen on this going to the press I do beleive he has at least earned parity with the other two youngsters. Especially when you consider N'Zogbia's performances and attitude last year!

Shearer loved the club, his contract still stipulated he had to be the best paid player at the club...

We have no idea what he's been offered so how can you possibly say that he should accept it? He's rejected this round of talks, it's hardly like he's rejected the contract and stormed off in a huff is it?

This smacks of people wanting to feel indignant about something, anything and this story will suffice.

We have no idea what he's been offered, no idea what he's asked for, no idea what the clauses and stipulations were, no idea the breakdown of the contract what-so-ever. I really don't think we should lose our heads over something as inconsequential as one round of contract talks when the player has another couple of years to go on his original.

you lot are a right bunch of drama queens

I believe Taylor should be paid a wage comparable to that of his peers ie Zog and Milner etc and more than the likes of Donkey Carr (ideally 50 times more but gained by dropping Carrs wage not raising Taylors). I dont believe he should sign any contract we offer just because he loves the club and I dont believe the club should use his loyalty as a stick to beat him with.

At the same time though I believe he should have enough media savvy to stop his fatha shouting the odds and slagging the club off after receiving their first offer.