England v Israel

RlCO

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good game all round form England I thought. It's interesting that with a few of the 'big name' players unavailable, we turn out a cohesive display like that. Obviously against weaker opposition, but the banana skin was there and avoided. On top of that, Owen looked good and is getting sharper which is good for us. A goal will boost him and that's good.

I'm quite interested to see who gets the drop for Wed. SWP is starting to look like the player he could have been 2 years ago if he'd moved to Arsenal and I thought Barry was strong in midfield. It'll be interesting to see if he's dropped in favour of Hargreves. Will Heskey keep his place over Crouch?

I'm quite looking forward to Wed.

Good game all round form England I thought. It's interesting that with a few of the 'big name' players unavailable, we turn out a cohesive display like that. Obviously against weaker opposition, but the banana skin was there and avoided. On top of that, Owen looked good and is getting sharper which is good for us. A goal will boost him and that's good.

I'm quite interested to see who gets the drop for Wed. SWP is starting to look like the player he could have been 2 years ago if he'd moved to Arsenal and I thought Barry was strong in midfield. It'll be interesting to see if he's dropped in favour of Hargreves. Will Heskey keep his place over Crouch?

I'd drop Barry for Hargreaves even though he did well on saturday, but I'd keep Heskey in at the expense of Crouching Peter Hidden Talent.

I'd drop Barry for Hargreaves even though he did well on saturday, but I'd keep Heskey in at the expense of Crouching Peter Hidden Talent.

It is a bit scary to think of Heskey keeping someone out of the England side, but in Crouch's case maybe not so much.

Lampard should be dropped for the rest of his career tbh!

Had a much better game against Germany than Gerrard did against Israel.

Was he carrying an injury?

I'm not 100% certain how that relates to the "Lampard should be dropped for the rest of his career tbh!" post? Does he have to prove that he can play well injured? Does just playing well not count any more?

If I'd said "Gerrard should be dropped...." then I'd kinda get your point, but I didn't.

If we're comparing game for game in an England shirt, even you can't blindly say Lampard has performed to a better standard, more times than Gerrard.

It seems less and less about objectively stating which player deserves the position and more and more about your Lampard fetish getting an airing.

If we're comparing game for game in an England shirt, even you can't blindly say Lampard has performed to a better standard, more times than Gerrard.

It seems less and less about objectively stating which player deserves the position and more and more about your Lampard fetish getting an airing.

The original post basically made out that because of the ONE RESULT on Saturday that Lampard should never play again. Please enlighten me as to how I'm being unobjective? I think the England team should be picked on form. Lampard is the form English midfielder in the Premiership. That's nothing to do with a fetish tbh. I didn't actually bring him up anyway, I responded to a comment about him.

Gerrard hasn't played well for England for 2 years. Lampard hasn't played well for England for 2 years. Should either be dropped for the rest of their career? No. Objective enough for you?

Except Gerrard has played well at times recently for England (even getting a man of the match award), and has over the last two years almost always played better than his ball and chain.

Highly amusing.

Lampard got a man of the match award last year too. Means nothing really though does it.

2004 England player of the year = Lampard

2005 England player of the year = Lampard

I really don't understand why some people refuse to recognise that Gerrard hasn't played well for England for at least the last 18 months, yet claim that Lampard is worse than Fumaca. Agenda perhaps?

Except Gerrard has played well at times recently for England (even getting a man of the match award), and has over the last two years almost always played better than his ball and chain.

Highly amusing.

As funny as the truth can be I guess.

There's only room for one of the two in the centre for England and Gerrard has performed better for England over the last 2 years than Lampard quite simply (even Lampard's club form dipped considerably at one point). Take the WC for example, although neither brought the house down, Lampard was a complete waste of space, Gerrard was sub par yet scored, was more industrious...

Lampard was England's best player in and around euro 2004 no complaints about that... but who gives a crap about that now though. Bench-time long overdue for him.

I really don't understand why some people refuse to recognise that Gerrard hasn't played well for England for at least the last 18 months, yet claim that Lampard is worse than Fumaca. Agenda perhaps?

Maybe it has a lot to do about being true. No agendas, just about getting the best team out there for England, instead of going for the "yes man" choices.

Gerrad+Hargreaves would be my first choice too.

Everyone fit, everyone in form, I'd choose Gerrard and Hargreaves as my centre midfielders. Nothing against Lampard, that would just be my preference.

I wouldn't particularly disagree with that IF everyone was on form. In fact, let Gerrard play with a Liverpool shirt on under his England kit and he'd be the best player on the pitch.

Everyone fit, everyone in form, I'd choose Gerrard and Hargreaves as my centre midfielders. Nothing against Lampard, that would just be my preference.

I wouldn't particularly disagree with that IF everyone was on form. In fact, let Gerrard play with a Liverpool shirt on under his England kit and he'd be the best player on the pitch.

The same could be said for letting Lampard play with his Chelsea shirt on. I rate both players for their club - Gerrard is Liverpool's own Captain Fantastic and I think Lampard has a lot to do with how Chelsea tick.

However, I think the problem is that Lampard has suffered more in the midfield pairing than Gerrard has. Both have played badly, Gerrard just less so. The WC is a perfect example I guess.

I'd alternate the two with AN Other midfielder for example Gerrard - Hargreves, Lampard - Hargreves. Different pairings for different scenarios perhaps?

In fairness, Lampard had a good game against Germany. Gerrard had a good game against Andorra. Still, neither have them have consistently performed near to their club ability for England. I would probably start with Gerrard on the basis that he should be adding so much more to the team. That said, if it were Lampard as the only one of the two starting, I wouldn't be surprised to see him scoring as he does frequently for club.

In fairness, Lampard had a good game against Germany. Gerrard had a good game against Andorra. Still, neither have them have consistently performed near to their club ability for England. I would probably start with Gerrard on the basis that he should be adding so much more to the team. That said, if it were Lampard as the only one of the two starting, I wouldn't be surprised to see him scoring as he does frequently for club.

Another sensible post from you ;)

Another sensible post from you ;)

Yup, I think I'm now approaching double-figures in sensible posts from my 2442 here. ;)