The end is nigh?

Park Life

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always previously been related to the tilt of the Earth. Not this time, and the rate of regression is unprecedented. Still, you're always going to get ostriches burying their heads in the sands until London disappears.

It's always previously been related to the tilt of the Earth. Not this time, and the rate of regression is unprecedented. Still, you're always going to get ostriches burying their heads in the sands until London disappears.

I don't see a problem

I don't see a problem

And Lowestoft. :lol:

I don't see a problem

And Lowestoft. ;)

We'll be the new Atlantis.

It's not totally straightforward but the evidence from ice cores suggest we're about as hot as at any time in the last 2 million years or so and it seems to have been changing very rapidly over the past 300 years

There isn't an awful lot of water percentage wise tied up in glaciers right now

flooding in the landahn area is made worse by extraction of ground water lowering the surface PLUS the fact that the south and east of Britain is tilting down as the north and west is rising as it rebounds from the last ice age

planting a few trees ain't going to make much of a difference TBH

It's not totally straightforward but the evidence from ice cores suggest we're about as hot as at any time in the last 2 million years or so and it seems to have been changing very rapidly over the past 300 years

There isn't an awful lot of water percentage wise tied up in glaciers right now

flooding in the landahn area is made worse by extraction of ground water lowering the surface PLUS the fact that the south and east of Britain is tilting down as the north and west is rising as it rebounds from the last ice age

planting a few trees ain't going to make much of a difference TBH

So is it over Rob?

Hey!

I'm listening to the Geologists here - "a thousand ages in thy sight is like an evening gone" - they take the longgggggggggggggg term - "whats a few hundred thousand years between friends?" is their attitude

As far as I can make out they say we're right at the top for "recent" interglacials - it could flatten off or just keep going up - CO2 tho is WAY over previous periods so there is a worry that the past is not a good guide to the future here......................... they term it "the breakdown of uniforimitarianism" and it has them worried

So? whats the worry?

Lets just start a campaign to get everyone to put a fridge in their back garden, plug it in and open the door.... nae hassle within a year or two we'll have brought the temperature down.

The chemicals/coolant used in fridges is a quite a contributor to global warming. ;)

So? whats the worry?

Lets just start a campaign to get everyone to put a fridge in their back garden, plug it in and open the door.... nae hassle within a year or two we'll have brought the temperature down.

The chemicals/coolant used in fridges is a quite a contributor to global warming. ;)

I thought that was the point of the joke?

So? whats the worry?

It was early, Parky had obviously had a heavy night ;)

So? whats the worry?

The chemicals/coolant used in fridges is a quite a contributor to global warming. :D

It was early, Parky had obviously had a heavy night ;)

;)

So? whats the worry?

Parky - that was 20 years ago...............

WAKE UP!!!

I don't see a problem

Me either.

Unfortunately they are already drawing up plans to waste who knows how many billions of pounds saving the place. <_<

(and we won't be able to get our hands on any of the new oil revenue released by the lack of ice, unless we can somehow claim our bit of the continental shelf reaches that far :D)

Still if we all use "eco-friendly" designer carrier bags it'll all be ok.

Just like if you stop smoking you'll never, ever die and more importantly never, ever be a drain on the NHS. ;);)

I don't see a problem

Me either.

Unfortunately they are already drawing up plans to waste who knows how many billions of pounds saving the place. <_<

(and we won't be able to get our hands on any of the new oil revenue released by the lack of ice, unless we can somehow claim our bit of the continental shelf reaches that far :D)

Just like if you stop smoking you'll never, ever die and more importantly never, ever be a drain on the NHS. ;);)

They're already drilling in the amazon.....shame.

I don't see a problem

Me either.

Unfortunately they are already drawing up plans to waste who knows how many billions of pounds saving the place. :blush:

They're already drilling in the amazon.....shame.

We could have a shot at claiming some of that, with the Falklands being relatively close. <_<

I don't see a problem

Me either.

You're a bit obessed with this new smoking law, aren't you?

I don't see a problem

Me either.

No more than many things. :blush:

It just amuses me (like many things) that people have this idea that stop smoking and you'll live in wonderful health for a very long time/forever (never mind that second hand smoke is pretty much harmless in most scenarios). You won't; age and entropy will rob you of all that you are and all that you have eventually.

I also find it interesting that a big part of the smoking issue is the cash drain on the NHS, but frankly people that die at 50-60 even after a disease that is expensive to treat are much BETTER for the economy than someone that lives to be 110 years old but requires full time (and very expensive) accommodation and nursing supervision for 30+ years of that existence (and this is, of course, the reason we have an ever rising retirement age).

It's just another example of NONE joined up thinking, trying to fix a current issue with no real thought of future effects.

Like with the current "eco" trendiness. 99% of it is either an outright CON (such as carbon offsetting or "green" taxes), or is just completely ineffective (an extra 3 billion people in the next 50 years on this planet more than wipe out even HUGE carbon reductions in the Western world).

That leaves us (humanity) with two basic choices:

1. real genuine draconian, but effective, actions - that will never happen for a myriad of reason.

or

2. working out what will happen and doing our best to mitigate it - which just isn't trendy as you can't "sell" failure and frankly is both very expensive and politically suicidal to really consider until it is too late.

It's pure comedy really, only with a tragic undercurrent.

I don't see a problem

Me either.

No more than many things. :blush:

It just amuses me (like many things) that people have this idea that stop smoking and you'll live in wonderful health for a very long time/forever (never mind that second hand smoke is pretty much harmless in most scenarios). You won't; age and entropy will rob you of all that you are and all that you have eventually.

I also find it interesting that a big part of the smoking issue is the cash drain on the NHS, but frankly people that die at 50-60 even after a disease that is expensive to treat are much BETTER for the economy than someone that lives to be 110 years old but requires full time (and very expensive) accommodation and nursing supervision for 30+ years of that existence (and this is, of course, the reason we have an ever rising retirement age).

It's just another example of NONE joined up thinking, trying to fix a current issue with no real thought of future effects.

Like with the current "eco" trendiness. 99% of it is either an outright CON (such as carbon offsetting or "green" taxes), or is just completely ineffective (an extra 3 billion people in the next 50 years on this planet more than wipe out even HUGE carbon reductions in the Western world).

That leaves us (humanity) with two basic choices:

1. real genuine draconian, but effective, actions - that will never happen for a myriad of reason.

or

2. working out what will happen and doing our best to mitigate it - which just isn't trendy as you can't "sell" failure and frankly is both very expensive and politically suicidal to really consider until it is too late.

It's pure comedy really, only with a tragic undercurrent.

Regarding smoking, it's easily the most important avoidable health hazard which is why there is a determined policy to erradicate it. No-one is saying you will live forever in perfect health if you don't smoke though. I agree that economically it makes little sense as it will lead to an increased elderly population, but disagree that it's an example of non-joined up thinking. You never know, it could just be possible that the government and health service actually want us to live longer lives. It's certainly pretty cynical to advocate smoking should be encouraged to actually kill people at a younger age. Interestingly btw, there is already evidence from Scotland that the smoking ban has significantly reduced CVD deaths.

Regarding the environment, I think you're right actually.

Regarding smoking, it's easily the most important avoidable health hazard which is why there is a determined policy to erradicate it.

Well except second hand smoke isn't actually a real health risk to most people in most situations, at all (which is the biggest issue I have with the campaign/ban, pretty much outright lying by a Government to its voters - in most other circumstance there would be a scandal and heads would roll for a similar thing - it's easily a bigger and more co-ordinated misleading than say the dodgy dossier etc.) .

No-one is saying you will live forever in perfect health if you don't smoke though.

Yes because that would be silly, but still the implication is often there (especially in the context of second hand smoke and the impact it will have on a non-smokers health, or in fact that by breathing in 2nd hand smoke people may as well be stabbing you in the throat and chest with a carving knife etc.).

I agree that economically it makes little sense as it will lead to an increased elderly population, but disagree that it's an example of non-joined up thinking. You never know, it could just be possible that the government and health service actually want us to live longer lives.

Only for more votes though, and only until they realise they have no money to actually PAY for it.

You've only got to go and see how bad elderly care is at the moment, never mind in another 10, 20 or 30 years time when there's even more to look after with even less money.

In an economic sense for a Government the best citizen are those that work and pay taxes until retirement age (be it 60, 65 or 70+ soon) and then drop dead the day after retirement.

The way things are going we may well eventually start to see elderly people left to die on the streets once they've used up all their savings and credit for care, either that or more direct euthanasia (it may sound impossible, but frankly it kinda occurs in nursing homes even now in a way).

It's certainly pretty cynical to advocate smoking should be encouraged to actually kill people at a younger age.

I'm not saying that, but I suspect things at least as harsh as that will eventually be agreed upon due to economic issues.

Interestingly btw, there is already evidence from Scotland that the smoking ban has significantly reduced CVD deaths.

I've seen that.

The stats are as spurious as hell IMO, for one the time period is basically 1 repetition (which isn't a repetition at all, and therefore has no validity - even though they claim "year on year" the period is actually 18 months or 1.5 years and so it is clearly pure political spin-doctoring) and secondly a 17% drop in heart attack admissions is far too big a drop to ever have occurred purely due to the smoking ban (within a year anyway). Even more so the 20% drop in non-smoker admissions for heart attacks.

It needs a longer time period to see if it is just a one off yearly fluctuation, but even if it is not then there is still clearly other factors there working at least as much (if not more) than any smoking ban in public places as even if second hand smoking WAS as dangerous as it it implied to be, there'd still be a longer drop off period for health effects to be seen than just 1 year, even more so with smokers who wouldn't suddenly become low heart attack risks after a life time of smoking, even if they did quit within a 12 month period.

Cynically I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some "new" way of recording heart attack admissions brought in around the time as the Scottish ban.

Regarding the environment, I think you're right actually.

Aye, even economic reports have slated "green" taxes as basically money making with no actual real "green" benefit.... and carbon offsetting has been slated in pretty much every way by ever conceivable group, to the point where I'm a bit amazed it's still legal.

And pretty much anything labeled "eco" has much more to do with marketing and £££'s than any "green" cause. "Eco" is the new "sex" for marketing, at least until people get bored and something else becomes fashionable.

17% drop in heart attacks after the ban

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinbu...ast/6986554.stm

100% increase in dodgy statistics IMO. ;)

9 hospitals over an 18 month period isn't a very large sample to begin with, but a 17% total drop and a 20% drop in non-smoker heart attack admissions is a HUGE drop for such a time scale.

(although interestingly this is another example of the "stop smoking and you will live forever" thing IMO)

So either there's some bias or fluctuation within the figures (given the small sample and time scale, that is fairly likely) or there's something else (possibly fishy) going on.