Accident led to Beye’s Toon U-turn

bawan

NEWCASTLE new boy Habib Beye last night revealed how a freak training-ground accident rescued United’s long-running bid to land him . . .

After he had turned the Toon down back in June.

Beye finally joined the Magpies from Marseille minutes before the transfer window closed at midnight on Friday.

And the Sunday Sun can reveal that the Senegal international only put pen to paper after agreeing to compromise on his demand for a four-year contract by signing a three-year deal.

But Beye has also now confirmed he rebuffed a previous approach from Newcastle – and might have snubbed them again until a twist of fate changed his mind.

For he claims that seeing Marseille goalkeeper and close friend Cedric Carrasso rupture an Achilles tendon 10 days ago convinced him to take up the challenge of a move to Tyneside.

“I had the chance to join Newcastle more than a month before the start of the new season,” said Beye.

“I refused it because I wanted to play in the Champions League with Marseille and finish the final year of contract while keeping alive the possibility of prolonging my stay at ‘L’OM’.

“The offer from Newcastle, a big club, came again though, and it was a good financial proposal — it would be a lie to hide that fact.

“But seeing the injury to Cedric Carrasso was what really made me reflect.

“Like him, I am 29, and he was not injured because of a tackle, but because of what can happen to the human body as time goes by.

“If that kind of mishap had happened to me in the situation I was in at Marseille with the end of my contract, it would have made things very complicated.

“You have to think of these things and it’s for that reason that I accepted the challenge of moving to Newcastle.”

United’s interest in Beye — exclusively revealed by the Sunday Sun way back on June 10 — was maintained despite his unimpressive start to the season in France which saw him targeted by a faction of Marseille fans.

But the right-back added: “I thank the people at the club and the supporters, even if some of them attacked me lately. I would like to have taken those fans with me.

“I will keep my house in Marseille and go to live there after I retire.”

Edited by bawan

As long as he works hard and does well for us I don't really give a shit if his main reason for coming to us was the financial benefits.

Obviously every other player who has signed for us over the years has done it for their love of Newcastle United.