Jay McEveley settles in well to the Scotland team..

Scottish Mag

Perhaps it's just as well for Saulius Mikoliunas that Scotland eventually managed to beat Lithuania 3-1 and move up to second place in Group B.Otherwise the Hearts winger may have found retribution to be swift and painful.

The 23-year-old blatantly dived at Hampden to earn the penalty, converted by Tomas Danilivicius, which gave Lithuania an equaliser and threatened, for 16 minutes, to derail the home side's bid to qualify for Euro 2008.

Mikoliunas, no stranger to accusations of simulation in the SPL, threw himself over Darren Fletcher's outstretched leg and the unimpressive Slovenian referee, Damir Skomina, immediately pointed to the spot.

Derby County full-back Jay McEveley, like the rest of his team-mates, did not take kindly to being cheated. "Fletch didn't touch him," he said. "If we'd gone on to draw the game, nobody would have been happy.

"I came back to clear the ball after the lad knocked it past Fletch. He just fell over, but they were doing it all over the pitch and getting away with it.

"I spoke to him and he just said 'That's football.' I told him that the next time I was near him he was getting it. He told me I'd get a red card but I said it would be worth it."

"They were getting free-kicks which they didn't deserve. They cheated and, while it isn't right, there was nothing at all we could do about it at all."

David Weir was more sanguine about the penalty award but confessed to having misgivings when the Lithuanians drew level. "Of course it was a worry when it went to 1-1," he confessed. "We hadn't started the second-half particularly well and Lithuania came back into the game at that stage.

"It wasn't a penalty. I didn't have a good view of the incident but you could tell by the boys' reaction. Fortunately, we responded by using our anger in the right way.

"There is exuberance and youthfulness in this team, though, and they are never resigned to anything. This was a big step forward for the team and it gives us a lift for Wednesday.

"We have to go to Paris and be professional. We have to look to take something from that game and it's no use just saying that a point would be a bonus."

;)

Actually, he did look like a really good player when he was at Blackburn. Gone downhill since then.

Aye, playing Premiership football regularly and on the verge of qualifying for Euro 2008.

Actually, he did look like a really good player when he was at Blackburn. Gone downhill since then.

Aye, playing Premiership football regularly and on the verge of qualifying for Euro 2008.

Just like Emile Heskey!

Oh, wait.