Trevor McDonald cleared of racism

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

TV's Sir Trevor cleared of racism

Broadcaster Sir Trevor McDonald has been cleared of making a racist remark about comedian Bernard Manning, despite more than 100 complaints to Ofcom.

The watchdog said the ex-newsreader had used strong language which was "clearly intended to parody Manning's own comedy" on his ITV1 series News Knight.

Any offence caused "was justified in the context", Ofcom ruled.

Sir Trevor referred to the late star as "a fat white bastard", but this was not judged to have breached Ofcom's code.

The broadcast, on 24 June, prompted 112 complaints.

Human error

Ofcom did, however, criticise ITV1's This Morning for failing to remove an expletive from a Lily Allen song it was using to accompany a fashion item on kaftans.

The broadcaster accepted the language was not suitable for live transmission and blamed human error during the 3 July edition of the magazine programme.

The BBC was also rebuked for showing a member of award-winning group Arctic Monkeys swearing at the Glastonbury Festival, in footage broadcast before the watershed.

"Had effective compliance procedures been in place, there should have been little difficulty in noting the offensive language and taking measures to ensure it was not transmitted," the regulator stated in its latest bulletin.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm Hypocrisy...

Is it?

Yes and no.

I saw it and though it was funny (if in "bad taste") and not at all racist, but if the tables had been turned it would have undoubtedly have been upheld as "racist".

Some sense at last:

Griffin Gets the Hook for Using N-Word

MIAMI (AP) — A standup routine by black comedian Eddie Griffin was stopped after he repeatedly used the N-word, a magazine's spokesman said Wednesday.

Griffin, who has appeared in movies such as "Undercover Brother" and "Date Movie" and the TV show "Malcolm & Eddie," was performing at a Black Enterprise magazine event in the Miami suburb of Doral on Friday when he was cut off after using profanities and the N-word, said Andrew Wadium, a spokesman for the publication.

"We believe that ending the performance was the appropriate action," Wadium said.

About 1,000 people registered for the performance.

Griffin's publicist, Jeff Abraham, didn't immediately return an e-mail and a call seeking comment.

The Rev. Al Sharpton, who attended a meeting held by the magazine in Miami but not the performance, said the crowd gave an ovation to Earl Graves, the magazine's publisher, when he came on stage after the 39-year-old Griffin was pulled, according to a statement on the Web site of Sharpton's National Action Network.

The statement said Sharpton "expressed gratitude that the nation's pre-eminent magazine for African-Americans stands behind the efforts of National Action Network in getting rid of the N-word."

Public discussion on the word's use increased last year following a tirade by "Seinfeld" actor Michael Richards, who used it repeatedly during a Los Angeles comedy routine and later issued a public apology.

The issue about racially insensitive remarks heated up earlier this year after talk show host Don Imus described black members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos" on April 4.

At its July convention in Detroit, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People held a mock funeral for the word.

Black leaders, including the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Sharpton, have challenged the entertainment industry and the American public to stop using the N-word and other racial slurs.

Tedious, hope the bastard end up on Celebrity Big Brother.

the most boring cunt that's ever read the news.

:icon_lol:

What qualities do you normally look for in a newsreader like? Other than being white of course.

What qualities do you normally look for in a newsreader like? Other than being white of course.

I think dood wants Trevor to be telling us the truth, y'know about how your kids will be being taught from the koran in 5 years time...

I think dood wants Trevor to be telling us the truth, y'know about how your kids will be being taught from the koran in 5 years time...

when do you think their numbers will stop growing or they will realise they shouldn't be forcing thier beliefs on us

what did you have to go and start him off for ?? :icon_lol:

what did you have to go and start him off for ?? ;)

But... but.... his ilk were saying that 5 years ago! Do I get my money back??

when do you think their numbers will stop growing or they will realise they shouldn't be forcing thier beliefs on us

:icon_lol: Aye I wish Trevor McDonald would stop forcing his black beliefs on me. Sometimes I have to turn the telly off before I start talking jive.

:icon_lol: Aye I wish Trevor McDonald would stop forcing his black beliefs on me. Sometimes I have to turn the telly off before I start talking jive.

I really like jah post mon.

:huh:

what did you have to go and start him off for ?? <_<

;)

see this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7002853.stm

how long do you think it will be before there is enough of them to influence such things so they are not unlawful, or do you think it will never happen.

Thick cunt

Or do you think they will realise they are wrong for forcing their beliefs on us

<_<

see this

how long do you think it will be before there is enough of them to influence such things so they are not unlawful, or do you think it will never happen.

Thick cunt

Or do you think they will realise they are wrong for forcing their beliefs on us

;) I think it'll be a while before anyone manages to make murder legal. And you have the fucking nerve to call others thick. <_<

Is murder legal in India btw?

<_<

see this

Thick cunt

;) When you say 'them and 'they', who exactly are you talking about?

The Indians, Fawlty! Love a bit of murder, they do! Won't be long til they're all at it!

at least some of our coppers aren't stupid cunts with their heads in the sand

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7001768.stm

hopefully this isnt' a lone voice. So you think that their numbers will not continue growing until they enforce their beliefs and laws on us ? When do you think they will stop doing this then