Zog: My Toon Euro Vision

Scottish Mag

CHARLES N'Zogbia believes there is no reason why Newcastle United cannot challenge for a place in the Champions League within the next few seasons.

The 21-year-old put pen to paper on a new five-year contract at St.James' Park last week, a deal which will keep him on Tyneside until 2012.

And, in that time, N'Zogbia is confident that the Magpies can challenge for a spot in Europe's premier competition.

"We have made a good start to this season and I think we have to aim for the a top six finish," the France Under-21 star told nufc.co.uk.

"After that why not the Champions League?"

"This is a big club with great fans and a fantastic stadium and we can challenge at the top of the table."

Before that N'Zogbia has set his sights on a European-placed finish this season, with the two-goal youngster impressed by the strength in-depth of the United squad.

"We have a good, big strong squad and there will be a lot of competition for places," he added. "Even in training I think you'll see a lot of competitveness and that is what you need."

Charles has kicked-off his campaign in scintillating fashion, landing both the nufc.co.uk Player and Goal of the Month awards despite operating in the more unfamiliar role of left-back.

But N'Zogbia insists he is happy to play in any position Big Sam asks of him, adding: "Even if I'm left-back I'm happy to do what the manager wants.

"I do not mind where I play and I feel I can play in any position, left-back, left-midfield or in the centre.

"I will do my best wherever I play and I'm very happy with my start to the season."

I get the feeling that if Ameobi had been the one saying these things, he'd be lambasted on here.

I get the feeling if Ameobi had been doing an interview he would have said he would like to get the number 9 shirt and break onto the international scene.