6 years ago today

Jimbo

Watched the documnetary the other night called "The Falling Man" ;) was a bit disturbed by the way the Americans pursued it.....and we had a fire drill at work today whic I thought was a bit ill-timed ;)

It's an horrific thing, but everytime I am reminded of how long ago that was it acts as a selfish jog down memory lane as I do remember exactly where I was when I heard, what I was doing with my life etc. From that awful starting point I invariably map out my life from that date to the present.

(I don't mean nothing happened before 9/11 in my life, just that, because of my shocking memory, it's one of the few things I remember in stark clarity.)

I think its only human nature to react in that manner, previous generations have no-doubt done the same, the Kennedy assasination being one example.

It's an horrific thing, but everytime I am reminded of how long ago that was it acts as a selfish jog down memory lane as I do remember exactly where I was when I heard, what I was doing with my life etc. From that awful starting point I invariably map out my life from that date to the present.

(I don't mean nothing happened before 9/11 in my life, just that, because of my shocking memory, it's one of the few things I remember in stark clarity.)

Yeah, I know what you mean. It was at a "landmark" kind of time for me anyway - I'd just moved to Germany a few weeks earlier and was on the point of getting my first proper job - so it inevitably serves as a kind of yardstick for everything that followed. I was house-sharing with a fella who worked in security at the U.S. Consulate in Frankfurt, too, which made the whole experience a bit more surreal.

Was at work and it came up on our intranet thing about a plane crashing into one of the towers. The originally story made it out to be a small jet but when I found my sister and she told me it was on every channel the event became a big "bigger".

My cousin worked in the WTC for American Express. Her husband, dad and brother are all pilots for United Airlines. Her husband and kids were poorly that day so she stayed off to look after them. Her dad was piloting a plane to Tokyo and was sat on the runway waiting for clearance at JFK airport when the planes hit and his flight was abandoned. Her brother was in Dallas on a training course. Whatever anyone believes about it "not being their time" it certainly seemed that way on that day.

Was at work and it came up on our intranet thing about a plane crashing into one of the towers. The originally story made it out to be a small jet but when I found my sister and she told me it was on every channel the event became a big "bigger".

Was it really a plane though?

For the towers? Yes.

For the Pentagon.... who knows? ;)

For the towers? Yes.

For the Pentagon.... who knows? ;)

Explosives tbh

Don't start with the consipiracy shite.....

They found the remnants of fuselage of two aircraft in the rubble and a commercial jet engine dropped onto a pavement several blocks from the WTC immediately after the second plane hit.

I remember it clear as anything, one of the guys at the office was on a telnet bulletin board (those were the days!) and one of his mates in NYC was on there to and was telling them what was happening as it occurred. I remember him coming into my office and saying a plane had hit one of the towers and my first reaction being "what the fuck was it doing over Manhattan anyway?" Then I thought of that incident in Holland years back when a plane in trouble was out of control and hit a block of flats.

As soon as the second one hit, it was obvious what was going on....

;)

Aye I was getting ready for work (living in the US at the time) and had the telly on. Remember going down the hall and shouting for the then girlfriend to "come and see this. Some twat has flown a plane into the WTC". The second one happened as we were watching.

Got ready and went into work as normal but got there to find the place deserted. Rang my boss and she told me to go home (there were reports of the Golden Gate being a target, and the Transamerica building). Got on the bus home and remember this fucking nutcase Haight Ashbury 60s drug casualty telling everyone on the bus that "We're at war now. Nothing will ever be the same again" etc.

Spent the rest of the day watching on the news. Bizarre day.

Don't start with the consipiracy shite.....

They found the remnants of fuselage of two aircraft in the rubble and a commercial jet engine dropped onto a pavement several blocks from the WTC immediately after the second plane hit.

I remember it clear as anything, one of the guys at the office was on a telnet bulletin board (those were the days!) and one of his mates in NYC was on there to and was telling them what was happening as it occurred. I remember him coming into my office and saying a plane had hit one of the towers and my first reaction being "what the fuck was it doing over Manhattan anyway?" Then I thought of that incident in Holland years back when a plane in trouble was out of control and hit a block of flats.

As soon as the second one hit, it was obvious what was going on....

;)

The company immediately employed by the US government found evidence to fit their description of what happened? What are the chances? ;)

Our CEO at the time used to work one of the towers and decided to immediately send us all home. We all stayed and watched the TV for the rest of the afternoon.

I remember my Mrs telling me about the news as it broke, I thought it was just some twat in a small light-aircraft who got too close, only when I switched SKY News on did the full horror of the situation hit me, litterally spent the rest of the day glued to the TV.

Our CEO at the time used to work one of the towers and decided to immediately send us all home. We all stayed and watched the TV for the rest of the afternoon.

Anyone hear Chris Moyles making light of the situation?

What did he say?

Anyone hear Chris Moyles making light of the situation?

What did he say?

Said something about "typical Americans". I'm trying to find the transcript. It was before many details got through though.

I'd been knacker deep in my lass in our apartment in Greece from sunrise, popped down to the bar for some lunch to find a couple of Americans crying in front of the TV.

Felt bad for about a half hour but I'd just immaced my then lasses fanny so nowt was gonna spoil my mood that day! ;)