Team V Derby

David Kelly

I know Gemmil hounded out the last person who used to start these threads ;) but now that we actually have some options and a manager that has some ideas on tactics, I think it's actually worth discussing.

Given, Beye, Faye & Enrique must surely all be in contention for starts, Martins probably didn't deserve to be left out in the first place, is Viduka fit?, can we push Charlie further forward and make the best use of him?

Personally I think Owen is on fire at the moment and it would be crazy not to make use of that but I can't really see where he fits into a 4-3-3 which I think is SA's preference for away games at least and a formation that does seem to suit us away from home.

For me I think I would go with the following but I'm far from certain.

4-4-2

Given - I've already stated my reasons for selecting him over Harper

Taylor - I thought he played well at rightback against Wigan and I've been pretty happy with him all season so I see no reason to get him straight out of the team because Beye is here. Also Allardyce seems to be wanting to give the foreign players plenty of time to integrate into the squad so there's no need to rush him.

Cacapa - Been very impressed with him every time I've seen him play for us or Lyon

Rozehal - Slotted in very nicely so far and looks like forming a strong partnership with Cacapa

Enrique - N'Zogbia has done well so far but I want to see him further forward and I would have thought Enrique has adequate time to fit in now. Also away to the bottom club is probably an ideal time for him to make his league debut.

Milner - Has looked bright early doors.

Geremi - I know he's not impressed everyone so far but I've liked what I have seen. He keeps posesion well and privides a strong presence in the middle of the park.

Butt - With going for a 4-4-2 away from home with two wingers I can't see any other way to go than with two strong centre mids and Butt has been playing well.

N'Zogbia - Probably our best player so far and certainly a big threat from midfield. Hopefully he can form a good partnership with Enrique and really go at their rightback.

Viduka - As long as he's fit. I thought he was looking much sharper before his knock against Wigan and I just think he's a far better foil for Owen than anyone else.

Owen - On fire as I mentioned earlier so I think he has to play.

Subs

Harper

Beye

Faye

Smith

Martins

Those players on the bench can help us cover pretty much every position on the pitch and with Martins and Smith I think we have players who can come on and change things going forward which I think is something we've lacked a bit so far.

I'm happy with that. Will be nice to say Jose get another run out and like the fact we can bring on Smith and Martins off the bench if we need to chase the game late on.

Aye, in the first couple of games I was a bit worried that we had no real way of changing things from the bench, even Owen or Shola weren't going to be able to do anything to help us create if things weren't happening. Which is what we saw against Villa.

Martins can create something out of nothing and Smith if used as a forward or more attacking midfielder (seems to have been playing as a holding player so far for my money) can help set things up.

You also have Beye who (although I can't remember ever having seen play so I wouldn't really know) should be able to link up with Milner better in an attacking sense to bring on and try and push down our right better.

i'd pick exactly the same side as david kelly with perhaps the exception of beye coming in for taylor.

smith should be dropped. owen and viduka to start up front and n'zogbia given the chance to start further forward on the left flank with enrique given a go behind him. it is derby ffs - how much time does the lad need to adapt to the english game?

i'd pick exactly the same side as david kelly with perhaps the exception of beye coming in for taylor.

smith should be dropped. owen and viduka to start up front and n'zogbia given the chance to start further forward on the left flank with enrique given a go behind him. it is derby ffs - how much time does the lad need to adapt to the english game?

Hey if Big sam says he is not ready yet, he aint ready so zip it!

I'd forgot about Emre tbh although I'm still not sure how I'd fit him in.

I did toy with the idea of Smith in place of Butt in an effort to have a solid midfield that also had more productive possibilities but in the end I went with form and Smith is yet to really show any!

Given

Faye

Cacapa

Rozehnal

Enrique

Geremi

Butt

Emre

N'zogbia

Duke

Owen

Harper

Milner

Martins

Beye

Smith

no milner?

All huff, hardly any puff.

I have to admit I'm sort of still of the same opinion of Milner. He's never really convinced me that we're going to get much end product off him.

That said, he's still young and I do feel that he has come on a hell of a lot since before he went on loan to Villa.

Fitness Front: New Boys Ready For Action Says Sam

By Craig Hope

SAM Allardyce has hailed the "crucial" deadline day signings of Habib Beye and Abdoulaye Faye and says that both players have a chance of making their Newcastle United debut at Derby on Monday.

The pair - both 29 - penned three-year deals at St.James' Park two weeks ago with just minutes to spare of the August window.

And they have been at the club's training ground this week as the United backroom team continue to build their match fitness ahead of the Derby clash.

Magpies boss Allardyce still has a number of long-term casualties - Stephen Carr, Damien Duff, Joey Barton, Celestine Babayaro and Peter Ramage - and says he will have no problem about using Faye or Beye at Pride Park.

"Abdoulaye Faye was training on his own at Bolton while the transfer dragged on, but he has huge experience in the Premier League," said the 52-year-old gaffer.

"Habib meanwhile is a magnificent specimen of a footballer and I'd have no problem about using either player.

"They will both be in the squad and have a chance of being involved because we still have long-term injuries which is testing the squad to the full.

"That's why it was crucial to add Habib and Abdoulaye when we did."

Meanwhile, Jose Enrique and Mark Viduka will both face late fitness tests becuase of their respective hamstring injuries.

And Sam added: "Jose has a slight hamstring problem but we'll have to wait and see how he is.

"Mark Viduka is still a little way off because he hasn't trained with the rest of the lads yet and we'll have to wait until Monday probably before deciding if he plays."

Just looking at the table after this weekend's results. If we pick up a win, we'll be in 4th position, ahead of both Man Utd and Chelsea on goal difference and with a game in hand on both of them.

Not a bad position to be in at the end of September IMO...

Just looking at the table after this weekend's results. If we pick up a win, we'll be in 4th position, ahead of both Man Utd and Chelsea on goal difference and with a game in hand on both of them.

Not a bad position to be in at the end of September IMO...

I just realised that. Very nice! Trust us to drop points though...

Off to my local tonight to watch the game. Looking forward to it. Looks like Beye and/or Faye might get their first start. I'm less bothered about Faye as our midfield has played a few matches now and I'm not sure I'd want to add another new one into the mix. Beye at RB sounds like a canny idea though :icon_lol:

If Enrique is injured I'd expect to see Charlie at LB. It makes the choice for LW interesting if BS opts to keep Milner on the right. Mind you, if we play 4-3-3 then it's a different storey.

Just the fact we can talk about different players with different formations and we have options brings a smile to my face. I've not been this excited for ages. It's still not worn off :icon_lol:

Edit: WTF - the blush smiley has a Santa hat?

Edited by maggiespaws

Fitness Front: New Boys Ready For Action Says Sam

By Craig Hope

SAM Allardyce has hailed the "crucial" deadline day signings of Habib Beye and Abdoulaye Faye and says that both players have a chance of making their Newcastle United debut at Derby on Monday.

The pair - both 29 - penned three-year deals at St.James' Park two weeks ago with just minutes to spare of the August window.

And they have been at the club's training ground this week as the United backroom team continue to build their match fitness ahead of the Derby clash.

Magpies boss Allardyce still has a number of long-term casualties - Stephen Carr, Damien Duff, Joey Barton, Celestine Babayaro and Peter Ramage - and says he will have no problem about using Faye or Beye at Pride Park.

"Abdoulaye Faye was training on his own at Bolton while the transfer dragged on, but he has huge experience in the Premier League," said the 52-year-old gaffer.

"Habib meanwhile is a magnificent specimen of a footballer and I'd have no problem about using either player.

"They will both be in the squad and have a chance of being involved because we still have long-term injuries which is testing the squad to the full.

"That's why it was crucial to add Habib and Abdoulaye when we did."

Meanwhile, Jose Enrique and Mark Viduka will both face late fitness tests becuase of their respective hamstring injuries.

And Sam added: "Jose has a slight hamstring problem but we'll have to wait and see how he is.

"Mark Viduka is still a little way off because he hasn't trained with the rest of the lads yet and we'll have to wait until Monday probably before deciding if he plays."

....which is down to a lack of games. He needs to build his fitness up and start playing more games otherwise injuries like this will crop up all the time. He's 50-50, but unlikely to start. Will probably be on the bench.

Are people still thinking 442 is a realistic option under Allardyce? Based on the players that he's bought, it doen't look like he's going to play anything other than 433.

Imagine the line-up will be the same as the other week, with Beye in possibly for Taylor and Feye in for Butt.

The only thing is that I'm not sure where there's room for N'Zogbia in a 433 - unless he rotates Milner and him for one of the wider forward positions.