Stephen Ireland's FAI lie

Kid Dynamite

Tragic really but what a fuckwit!

"When the game in Bratislava ended our manager Stephen Staunton took me outside the dressing room into the corridor, along with the Ireland team doctor.

"He told me that they had taken a call from my girlfriend, Jessica, and she said my grandmother had died.

"I was deeply shocked because I believed it was my maternal grandmother who had brought me up from when I was five.

"The manager went back into the dressing room to get my phone and when I got it I immediately rang my girlfriend to get more details.

"My girlfriend was distraught and explained that she had just suffered a miscarriage.

"Jessica said she was very lonely and wanted me to come home. She said she thought they might let me home quicker if they thought my grandmother had died.

"When I finished the call I told the manager and doctor that my grandmother had died and because we were very close I wanted to go home immediately.

"The manager said that was no problem and he would get the FAI to sort it out.

"The FAI hired a private jet to get me home and I flew out of Bratislava the following morning. Before I left I told the FAI media officer that the name of my grandmother was Patricia Tallon.

"Early on Monday morning I got a phone call from Stephen Staunton telling me that the FAI had discovered my grandmother in Cork was not dead.

"He wanted to know what was going on and I told him that there had been a mistake and it had been my father's mother. I told him her name was Brenda Kitchener, that she lived in London.

"Jessica and I were still very upset over the miscarriage so we flew home to Ireland for a few days.

"On Thursday, I got a phone call from Manchester City stating that the FAI had discovered that my grandmother, Brenda Kitchener, was also alive.

"I decided at that stage that I must tell truth and admit I had told lies.

Edited by J69

He should have tried telling the truth, but I suppose he was just trying to find a scenario which would get him home quickly, which is sort of understandable.

I hope he isn't dealt with too harshly, it can't be a good thing to go through.

;) How.............Irish!

Exactly. Behind every stereotype there is a little bit of truth.

Pretty stupid comments. No surprise coming from a couple of Geordies I suppose. :icon_lol: