Newcastle United Vs Derby County (away)

Tom

The defense, what defense?

We were fucking awful but the defence didnt really do owt wrong tbh. The winner came from 30 yards out and was barely a defensive issue.

Can't agree with you there, when the keeper launches a long ball down-field you'd like to think a defender would get underneath it but it didn't happen. In fact there were a lot of high balls our defense should have been winning and weren't.

I construe the keeper as the first line of defense (and offense) and in regard to the goal (which was a corker) I believe that as a defender Harper was remiss by being too far off his line. If Harper had been closer to his line he may have been able to stop it so I look at it as a defensive error.

Blaming Harper for that would be very harsh. Wonderful strike. Geremi should have got the header in tbh.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Ashley is a bit more patient than the average Toontasticker. :icon_lol:

I think it is foremost the disappointment of most people about the result which a lot nailed down as a certain win beforehand (just look at the predictions). The other thing is that unfortunately too many of the shortcomings of the squad became obvious, especially with the lack of creativity being one that many feared would become a problem.

The club is still heading in the right direction with the necessary changes being under the way. Unfortunately it is not happening as quick as in an ideal world. The "easy" fixture list could have given the team a big boost for the whole season(and still can). So it's now down to how the team reacts in the upcoming games and learns from mistakes. How much we have progressed we will see at the end of the season or at least in a couple of months but not after one disappointing game.

Whey, shit happens. Bad day at the office, no-one seemed to be on their game. Shame really, as Derby were blatantly piss poor and there for the taking. It had 0-0 all over it till Derby's long ball and hit and hope finish tbf. As for the team I'll I've only got a couple of points;

1) If you've read my views and opinions before you'll know I'm a Shola sympothiser. Tonight however, he was fucking dreadful. It pains me to say that, but he was twatful and shouldn't have come out second half tbh.

2) Alan Smith. What does he ACTUALLY do?

Edited by sweetleftpeg

Whey, shit happens. Bad day at the office, no-one seemed to be on their game. Shame really, as Derby were blatantly piss poor and there for the taking. It had 0-0 all over it till Derby's long ball and hit and hope finish tbf. As for the team I'll I've only got a couple of points;

1) If you've read my views and opinions before you'll know I'm a Shola sympothiser. Tonight however, he was fucking dreadful. It pains me to say that, but he was twatful and shouldn't have come out second half tbh.

2) Alan Smith. What does he ACTUALLY do?

My thoughts exactly.

'Better' teams lose to 'inferior' teams every week, its the nature of sport. None of us would be interested if we knew how the league would finish before it had even started. I'll take a bet from anyone that we'll beat one of the top four this season.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

'Better' teams lose to 'inferior' teams every week, its the nature of sport. None of us would be interested if we knew how the league would finish before it had even started. I'll take a bet from anyone that we'll beat one of the top four this season.

Don't really think it was that tho. If we were to beat one of the top four we would have to graft like mad and still have a bit of luck. Today Derby were lively but you didnt get the sense that they were playing out of their skins, it's just that we didn't have a single solitary clue. That's the huge disappointment.

Smith was terrible tonight, absolutely shocking.

He was supposed to be playing wide right but was never out there leaving Taylor exposed again and again, when he did turn up out there he offered us nothing more than the big sliding tackle which the idiots seem to appreciate but not much else, whether he's a better striker isn't even debatable but he's clearly been brought in as a midfielder which he useless at.

For all Dyer's faults Smith simply isn't a patch on him as a player, definitely miles away from Solano too, as far as I'm concerned that's two influential players we've lost and they need replacing in January, Milner needs to be replaced in the first team too as he's simply your average midtable player who offers little in the way of pace, penetration and creativity.

Apparently that was Smith's 4th yellow of the season already, one more away from a ban and it's only mid September. :icon_lol:

He's a liability.

Butt, N'Zogbia, Shola and Smith want shot with shit after that fucking debacle.

The others weren't much better but they stood out and the fuckas all finished the match.

Butt looked like he couldn't give a shit and that it was just gonna happen for him, lack of respect for the opposition imo.

Charlie spent most the game on his arse, needed to change his boots I reckon.

Shola treat the ball like a hot potato all night, how the fuck Owen was meant to make an impact playing with him is beyond me and then he gets pulled off!

And Smith fuck me, he offers nothing but a pair of legs willing to run around for 90 minutes chopping people down and shouting at officials. 6m down the drain imo.

We are desperately missing a creative midfielder with an eye for a pass, can't wait for Barton to get fit.

The defense, what defense?

We were fucking awful but the defence didnt really do owt wrong tbh. The winner came from 30 yards out and was barely a defensive issue.

Can't agree with you there, when the keeper launches a long ball down-field you'd like to think a defender would get underneath it but it didn't happen. In fact there were a lot of high balls our defense should have been winning and weren't.

I construe the keeper as the first line of defense (and offense) and in regard to the goal (which was a corker) I believe that as a defender Harper was remiss by being too far off his line. If Harper had been closer to his line he may have been able to stop it so I look at it as a defensive error.

Blaming Harper for that would be very harsh. Wonderful strike. Geremi should have got the header in tbh.

Not blaming Harper for the loss, and I've said the goal was a corker, but when the opposing keeper is taking a goal kick it's smart to be on your line as some of the keepers have long kicks and have been known to score direct from goal kicks because the opposing keeper was off his line.

I'm just saying Harper may have stopped the goal had he been closer on his line. The loss was due to a shit performence and the inability to score against the bottom team.

Butt, N'Zogbia, Shola and Smith want shot with shit after that fucking debacle.

The others weren't much better but they stood out and the fuckas all finished the match.

Butt looked like he couldn't give a shit and that it was just gonna happen for him, lack of respect for the opposition imo.

Charlie spent most the game on his arse, needed to change his boots I reckon.

Shola treat the ball like a hot potato all night, how the fuck Owen was meant to make an impact playing with him is beyond me and then he gets pulled off!

And Smith fuck me, he offers nothing but a pair of legs willing to run around for 90 minutes chopping people down and shouting at officials. 6m down the drain imo.

We are desperately missing a creative midfielder with an eye for a pass, can't wait for Barton to get fit.

Fergie never sells a good player unless they've had a serious falling out.

Too early to think about the next transfer window (3 1/2 months away) but surely the time is up for Shola. He is shit. He will never be good. A half fit Viduka is better than Shola the shit. Get rid of him asap. Make Alan Smith our 4th choice striker and bring in 2 creative midfielders. I don't ever want to see Shola the dopey donkey playing in a black and white strip again. Fucking useless twat. He'd struggle playing for Leeds Utd let alone for Newcastle.

The whole team were just not up to scratch last night, but be that as it may, Shola is a fucking disgrace of a footballer. First and last appearance I hope and prey.

Lets have a bit of perspective. We've lost our first game of the season, we played shit and didn't look up for it.

Do you think Allardyce will learn from that? Do you think he saw Ameobi's performance and won't play him again unless we're down to the bones? Do you think he saw the set piece delivery and will have them working on it this week? Do you think he'll download the stats off Pro-Zone and pull the midfield to bits? Do you think he'll introduce his fullbacks, the ones he brought in to improve the team (also allowing him to move Zog forward)?

He's not daft you know. It's a setback and a massive disappointment but lets see how we come back from this before writing off the season

:icon_lol:

Yeah, pretty much agree with this. Game in hand and we're still right in amongst it.

Allardyce said: "He (Owen) felt his groin at half-time. I gave him the opportunity to go back on because he wanted to but I didn't want to risk him for longer than five or 10 minutes and we took him off as a precaution."

Asked if he would available at the weekend, Allardyce said: "Yes. We need him to to be fit because we have too many injured as it is.

"We've got to get our whole squad together. We need the Mark Vidukas, the Joey Bartons, the Damien Duffs, the Jose Enriques, even the Celestine Babayaros.

"But we have a six-day, three-game week coming up. We've been dealt a blow by the Premier League because of the Carling Cup match.

"We've been told we have to play on Tuesday night after playing West Ham on Sunday so it's my turn to moan now rather than the big boys.

"We have a very difficult week ahead of us and I just hope we have enough men to cope."

We turned up thinking we were Man Utd just expecting to win regardless, distinct lack of effort from a lot of players and just no heart.

Someone said earlier in the thread that Harper doesn't inspire confidence and i'm always expecting some sort of fuck up when he's in goal. He couldn't do out for the goal last night but the half hearted jump without evening raising his hand as the ball sails past you is frustrating to watch!

We turned up thinking we were Man Utd just expecting to win regardless, distinct lack of effort from a lot of players and just no heart.

Someone said earlier in the thread that Harper doesn't inspire confidence and i'm always expecting some sort of fuck up when he's in goal. He couldn't do out for the goal last night but the half hearted jump without evening raising his hand as the ball sails past you is frustrating to watch!

Agreed.

Aye, whilst Harper has had a canny run of form, Given is the better goalkeeper.

by far, Harper has been a great servant to the club and I'm sure he's a great lad but playing him ahead of Shay Given is madness.

Harper might have done better for the goal. Given is better, so I don't see why we need to wait for Harps to make his TradeMark fuck-up to get Shay back in.

Taylor offered little going forward as he isn't a full back, and wasn't helped by being isolated by the right midfielder.

Rozehnal was Boumsong-esque last night. Dind't win a single header last night and fucked up repeatedly.

Cacapa was decent enough. Altough none of our defenders won enough headers.

N'Zogbia's positioning was like Bernards last night. His delivery was shocking too. We might have had a bit more creativity with him in midfield. He also seemed to have a complete misunderstanding with his team mates for several passes.

Milner didn't beat his man once, and only put in a few crosses. Only 1 of which was useful. Was completely pwned by the full back.

Smith, Butt, Geremi; no creativity at all. Butt was caught out several times, Smit kept pulling into midfield and leaving Taylor alone.

Ameobi - no point playing a big man if he's not going to win a single header. He was offside at the most ridiculous moments and gave away stupid fouls(the ref always gave Leacott the benefit of the doubt though). I'm sure he needs games under his belt, but I don't want him to be playing that much for us.

Owen - tried a bit, no service whatsoever though. Incredibly dissapointing as we have "the most in-form striker in the PL" and we didn't put one ball towards him in an hour.

All in all, a Roeder-esque performance. We are crying out for a bit of creativity in the team.

Its only 1 game in 38, we only lost 1-0 and we had a bad day at the office - who doesnt? Not concerned in the slightest, if anything its brought those who thought we would get into the top 4 back down to Earth. As long as we learn from the mistakes made, then its time to move on. Bring on West Ham