Newcastle United Vs Derby County (away)

Tom

ah the injury excuse rears it's familiar head.

facts are, with the player we had available we should have beaten that Derby side.

Well injuries did play a part (although nothing like last season), but yeah it wasn't really injuries that basically stopped us playing (everything was pretty bad from shots on goal, through passing, to taking free kicks).

We did face a Derby side backlash IMO, but even so.

Someone said earlier in the thread that Harper doesn't inspire confidence and i'm always expecting some sort of fuck up when he's in goal. He couldn't do out for the goal last night but the half hearted jump without evening raising his hand as the ball sails past you is frustrating to watch!

I think it was well out of reach, I'm far from sure Harper, Given or anyone even glued to their goal line would have had much of a chance of stopping that.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its only 1 game in 38, we only lost 1-0 and we had a bad day at the office - who doesnt? Not concerned in the slightest, if anything its brought those who thought we would get into the top 4 back down to Earth. As long as we learn from the mistakes made, then its time to move on. Bring on West Ham

In fairness if we play like that versus West Ham we'll get stuffed, but hopefully it was a one off really bad performance.

Our set pieces were awful last night too. We were denied two clear pens but tbh we were poor last night and gave no service to the front too. Owen's confidence must have been sky high after the England games and last night he was a different player. Why? we never gave him the ball. The only time you heard his name was when he was trying to create something for someone else - tells a story.

Poor choice of midfield really. Whether that was forced by injury or not is another matter. 3pts thrown away really as we should be beating teams like that. Still, as has been mentioned, it's only one game and we still have a game in had. It's a long season yet and I can't believe lessons will not have been learned last night.

So in 1 game we've gone from being good to being shit then? We were good against Wigan.

It's early days and i'm not judging anyone yet.

Remember when Wolves who were bottom beat Man Utd who were top at the time, these things happen. Derby had just been humiliated against Liverpool and came out with a point to prove.

I still think we've improved since last season which is all you can ask. Yes it was a poor performance, but i won't be judging anything until after Christmas.

Our set pieces were awful last night too. We were denied two clear pens but tbh we were poor last night and gave no service to the front too. Owen's confidence must have been sky high after the England games and last night he was a different player. Why? we never gave him the ball. The only time you heard his name was when he was trying to create something for someone else - tells a story.

Poor choice of midfield really. Whether that was forced by injury or not is another matter. 3pts thrown away really as we should be beating teams like that. Still, as has been mentioned, it's only one game and we still have a game in had. It's a long season yet and I can't believe lessons will not have been learned last night.

To paraphrase "Aye there's the rub". Will we learn the lessons. I sincerely hope so. However we haven't played fantastically this season and Smith has played every game even though he has been completely ineffectual (sp). I will wait to see the team sheet for Sunday and if it even closely resembles the one we had last night I will be very upset.

Geremi played alright, but I think alongside Faye instead of Butt, who had a stinker of a game. He'd be able to do a bit more in support for the strikers. Faye never looked uncomfortable, he was very composed I thought.

We seriously need Barton back and we need Zoggy playing on the left-wing instead of being starved at left-back. Hopefully Enrique will play some part next time around, but he needs games quickly otherwise those little niggles are always going to be there.

The midfield were so bad you had the likes of Rozenhal & Taylor trying to burst forward to support the front two...!

Hopefully at least one or two changes are made because we can't go on relying on Shola for the big man little man partnership because it was clear it didn't work, yet BS still brought Owen off instead of Shola...!

Guest stevieintoon

I didn't hear Wenger or even Jol whinging about international duty. The sad fact is there's fuck all creativity in that team, and what the fuck is Smith supposed to be deein. Am I the only cunt that thinks the obvious is staring him in the face, Milner right, Charlie left, Beye RB, Enrique LB, and fuck Smith off?

I didn't hear Wenger or even Jol whinging about international duty. The sad fact is there's fuck all creativity in that team, and what the fuck is Smith supposed to be deein. Am I the only cunt that thinks the obvious is staring him in the face, Milner right, Charlie left, Beye RB, Enrique LB, and fuck Smith off?

I dont know what the fuck is going on in your signature Stevie :icon_lol:

I'd say he knows that's our strongest team at the moment, but with Enrique injured and Beye not fully adapted yet, we didn't have too many better options last night.

I actually got the impression that once we had Oba on, Sam felt there was no more that he could do to change the game(i.e. no more attacking subs left), and he wanted Beye and Faye to get their first games under their belt, so threw them in.

I'd have liked to see Shola hauled off, and Smith played up front last night, with Geremi on the right if he couldn't manage to get N'Zogbia onto the left wing.

I dont know what the fuck is going on in your signature Stevie :icon_lol:

"Wasssha is a pwopa big caaantwwy. Arfter the 1970 wevowution wiv leo twotski and john lennon waasha went left wing and i aint tawwkin john barnes, knoowwwww what ahm sayin. They've managed to get themsewwves saam wight top bombs anawww in case there's a wight pwopa tear aap"

TRANSLATED:

Russia is a proper big country. After the 1970 revolution with Leo Trotski and John Lennon, Russia went left wing and I ain't talking John Barnes, know what I'm saying? They've managed to get themselves some right top bombs and all in case there's a right proper tear up.

Still no idea what he's on about though..... :icon_lol:

I dont know what the fuck is going on in your signature Stevie ;)

"Wasssha is a pwopa big caaantwwy. Arfter the 1970 wevowution wiv leo twotski and john lennon waasha went left wing and i aint tawwkin john barnes, knoowwwww what ahm sayin. They've managed to get themsewwves saam wight top bombs anawww in case there's a wight pwopa tear aap"

TRANSLATED:

Russia is a proper big country. After the 1970 revolution with Leo Trotski and John Lennon, Russia went left wing and I ain't talking John Barnes, know what I'm saying? They've managed to get themselves some right top bombs and all in case there's a right proper tear up.

Still no idea what he's on about though..... :icon_lol:

Hmm fair play to him. He just thinks that i said it.

Oh well he can have his fun :icon_lol:

Exactly. Where is Enrique anyway, is he injured?

Exactly. Where is Enrique anyway, is he injured?

Dodgy hamstring

Everything has been said apart from one thing. Fat Sam showed me nothing in terms of tactical knowledge and ability to make changes on the field to alter the course of a game. Apart from from a couple of morons who persist in their defence of ameobi, everybody apart from them and fat sam know that he isn't a big man up front. Firtst off his team selection was shite. Secondly, it was clear after the first twenty minutes or so that deliveries from set pieces were rubbish....and yet there was geremi again. No changes from fatso. Smith was rubbish in midfield, n'zogbia was rubbish coming forward and looked like any shots below the cloudline were beyond him as well as a final ball or telling cross. Same for Milner. And yet, fat sam's answer is two defenders who might be able to win a ball but don't have the ability to use it or, in fact, have any idea what to do with it. Bit harsh on Beye, perhaps as he may be a victim of sam's ineptitude but not the player we needed to come on...again who the fuck selected the bench? Glenn Roeder?

And then sammy has the balls to blame it on tiredness from internationals. Let's hope we don't qualify for the champoin's league, sam, as the players will be too tired...perhaps you should put that in your 5 year plan...no european qualification as it may tire the players out. FFS.

Marks for the game to fatso..0

Ameobi.....get shot of this donkey and put him in the reserves. You know before he steps on the pitch what you are going to get so at least move Smith up front as he can't be worse thatn he is in midfield and has to be better than ameobi.

To be fair to Ameobi, I saw the game last night, and he did more for me than Viduka has done so far in his general play. All I've seen Viduka do is score that spectacular goal against Boro. Ameobi was offside a couple of times last night, but Viduka has been offside way more thios season and has given an awful lot more free-kicks away. Ameobi for me one more in the air than Viduka has done, he ust have been working on it a bit. Also he did hold the ball up well on a few occasions waiting for our far too defensive minded midfield to get forward.

Ameobi may not be the answer, but to bash him when for me he has contributed more than Viduka, is quite unfair.

We wont play as bad again all season, at least big Sam has an idea of what doesnt work so should rectify the problems, a good thing if you ask me, still well pissed off with the result like, a 2 goal win and we would have been third!!

I seriously reckon if Roz scores, or we get that blatant pen and score, then we take the points. Was just one of those days coupled with an absolutely shocking midfield performance.

Was anyone else impressed by how agile Cacapa is for an old player? He made some quality lunging interventions to intercept through balls that were more than just sticking his foot out, proper launches himself.

• 4 weeks later...