Alan Smith

Dr Gloom

i wasn't convinced when we signed him and i'm still not.

i'm worried that because sam splashed £6m on him, he's going to play every game, regardless of whethe he contributes ANYTHING to the side. he even seems to fancy him as vice captain which is worrying.

he's started every game in midfield so far and hasn't contributed anything as far as i can tell. he's slow, reckless in the sliding tackle, sloppy in possesion, posseses no skill and is liable to pick up a yellow card every other game.

i think he's a decent reserve centre forward with a below average strike rate but we already had one of them in shola who cost us nowt. i actually think he's worth a go up front occasionally but there were at least 3 better centre forwards at the club before he signed. he's poor in centre midfield and worse wide on the right.

harsh or fair asessment?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

waste of money, only good for a booking and scuffing up the pitch with his needless sliding. Would rather have bought that Boateng fella from the israeli team for 1/6 of the money. He'd just sneak on my bench if everyone is fit. Should be no-where near the starting eleven.

youv tuk it 2 far now saying hes a waste of money....wudnt call it that but hesnt the best buy of the summer

fucking hell man... type properly please.

You have took it too far now, i would not call him a waste of money, but surely he is not the best buy of the summer.

happy now :icon_lol:

I wouldn't even call him a forward player: These are his statistics in the league since 98-99:

98-99 = 7 goals in 22

99-00 = 4 goals in 25

00-01 = 11 in 33

01-02 = 4 in 23

02-03 = 3 in 33

03-04 = 9 in 35

04-05 = 6 in 31

05-06 = 1 in 21

06-07 = 0 in 9

07-08 = 0 in 5

England = 1 in 16

You can't tell me that he didn't get any service when he played up front at his time at Leeds and Man-Utd. Imagine Shearer's statistics with the kind of service Smith was getting for example.

You can have the best character in the world, all the aggression in the world but without footballing ability, without a footballing brain, you're just shite like Alan Smith.

Edited by bassplayerjj

Were stuck with him for now and a forward role is his best position so play him there, at least we'll have movement which is more than can be said for when we have Statue Ameobi playing there

Alan Smith? Movement? He's one of the slowest players I have seen in the league for the past few seasons, and something tells me that if he had Owen or Shearer's attacking off-the ball movement then he would have scored far more goals.

He's by far no crap player, but at the moment he has the look of a square peg for a round hole. We basically don't need him right now, although you never know with injuries. Thing is, I don't believe Sam thinks he has to play him just becasue he cost £6m or he's Ashley's favourite, I actually think Sam wants him to be doing something specific for the team, question is whether he's doint it or not right now. Sam's not likely to say if it's not working yet.