"Don't tase me bro!"

Gemmill

the police had him pinned to the floor (admittedly he was struggling) and he was in handcuffs. To be tasered by a copper stood above him was bang out of line.

Would it have been acceptable for the old bill to have tasered the bloke who was resisting being thrown out of the SJH stand at the Juventus friendly?? That was funny! :huh:

See that's the huge difference now in the UK use.

It's fine (IMO) to use them in situations were a conventional gun might be used (and indeed it might well SAVE lives like that guy that was executed by the police for carrying a table leg his friend had repaired back from the pub - that is THE idea of them IMO, and was their original intention for them here).

Or in cases of genuine violence against someone (i.e. and actually attack, not just a drunk rolling around on the floor being awkward).

But (much like CS spray has become) using them to enforce behaviour is a very different thing (and we've had countless examples of people being sprayed for non-violently arguing about parking tickets and such - getting annoyed/not being compliant is no justification for police assault).

For one tasers are much less lethal, but they CAN and DO KILL. As mentioned we've probably already had our first indirect death from one in the UK and in the USA deaths from them in direct and indirect ways are pushing the low 1000's now.

But secondly using what is legally upheld as TORTURE to say make a drunk let go of a lamppost to be cuffed and taken away is no better or worse than using one to force someone to admit something.

Tasers are a great idea in their original concept here (to be used as a less lethal option by firearms officers), but their are just another step the police state as they are now going to be used.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as it was a bit ott to tase him, he was a right annoying twat like.

The problem with the well he/she was an arsehole reasoning, is it is all well and good until you are that that arsehole, and by then it is far, far too late.

the police had him pinned to the floor (admittedly he was struggling) and he was in handcuffs. To be tasered by a copper stood above him was bang out of line.

Would it have been acceptable for the old bill to have tasered the bloke who was resisting being thrown out of the SJH stand at the Juventus friendly?? That was funny! :huh:

See that's the huge difference now in the UK use.

It's fine (IMO) to use them in situations were a conventional gun might be used (and indeed it might well SAVE lives like that guy that was executed by the police for carrying a table leg his friend had repaired back from the pub - that is THE idea of them IMO, and was their original intention for them here).

Or in cases of genuine violence against someone (i.e. and actually attack, not just a drunk rolling around on the floor being awkward).

But (much like CS spray has become) using them to enforce behaviour is a very different thing (and we've had countless examples of people being sprayed for non-violently arguing about parking tickets and such - getting annoyed/not being compliant is no justification for police assault).

For one tasers are much less lethal, but they CAN and DO KILL. As mentioned we've probably already had our first indirect death from one in the UK and in the USA deaths from them in direct and indirect ways are pushing the low 1000's now.

But secondly using what is legally upheld as TORTURE to say make a drunk let go of a lamppost to be cuffed and taken away is no better or worse than using one to force someone to admit something.

Tasers are a great idea in their original concept here (to be used as a less lethal option by firearms officers), but their are just another step the police state as they are now going to be used.

Well argued Fop.

Basically if people start getting tasered willy nilly people will start carrying tazers and then it will escalate.... ;)

Well argued Fop.

Basically if people start getting tasered willy nilly people will start carrying tazers and then it will escalate.... ;)

I would say it even possible that it will lead to an increase in hand gun issues, as that's about the only viable defence.

And as to standards of the UK police:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7006412.stm

Ok they were PCSO's, but standing by whilst a 10 year old drowns and an 8 year old nearly drowns (only survived because two fishermen rescued her) shows the "high standard" of people police force attracts. :huh:

Edited by Fop

The problem with the well he/she was an arsehole reasoning, is it is all well and good until you are that that arsehole, and by then it is far, far too late.

But I won't be that arsehole.

Until, of course, you are. :huh: (that you don't think you ever will be is the whole point)

Until, of course, you are. :huh: (that you don't think you ever will be is the whole point)

But I won't be.

But I won't be.

We'll have to see. ;)

Edited by Fop

Even from his online persona you can tell SLP is never going to be that arsehole.

Not that exact arsehole, probably not.

Maybe if they start tasing people for scratching their bollocks?

But that's more along the lines scarily.

Ok you might not end up being tasered for scratching your bollocks, BUT you might end up being tasered for having a verbal disagreement with a police officer (CS spray has repeatedly being used for this for people that have done nothing wrong as such (other than at worst being cheeky/non-cooperative), or for people that have in a minor way but the reaction was out of all context - such as the guy with the water pistol who was [with several other people there] CS sprayed by an angry copper).

Or another scenario you're out for a drink, you've had a few and are a bit worse for wear but basically fine other than being a bit slow. Next thing you know 3 people jump on you and try to drag you away you don't really resist other than an initial surprise reaction but the next thing you know you're lying on the ground having being tasered (or if you have a heart condition the next thing you know may well be nothing at all :huh: ).

What had you done?

Nothing at all, just someone that looked a bit like you had been involved in a fight and a description passed from grainy CCTV footage.

Never happen you say?

Happened to my Brother (apart from the taser bit obvious), he then spend the night in the cells repeatedly being told "Just admit it we've got you on CCTV" to which he repeatedly said "Look at the video it can't be me as I've not done anything".

Eventually they did and he was release with a police CAUTION for basically DOING NOTHING and being COMPLETELY INNOCENT.

As I said you can always BE "that arsehole", even if you think you can't.

:huh: Lost a fucking shitload this morning btw. Officially in a huff with poker.

Still at 50NL? Take some time off, it's the only advice I ever have, but it's good. ;)

Fop is one serious motherfucker when it comes to the police. Big Vern tastic. :huh:

Someone's got to be, most people wouldn't be worried until well after an out and out police state (unless they happen to be unlucky enough to be "that arsehole" some time before then), just so long as it didn't stop them getting pissed and watching TV (or online gambling and donkey riding in Gemmil's case).

Looking at the state of US cops, and seeing that is exactly the road we're heading along, you would think more people would be worried, but as I said not until it starts effecting the things that really matter to the average moron.

Edited by Fop