Italy regain top spot in FIFA world rankings

Scottish Mag

World champions Italy have returned to the top of FIFA's world rankings after leaping above Argentina and former leaders Brazil.

The Italians benefited from a 2-1 away win over Ukraine in a qualifying match for next year's European Championship and also picked up points for a 0-0 home draw with France.

Brazil enjoyed three wins out of three over Algeria, the United States and Mexico but still dropped from top spot to third place, since the matches were friendlies carrying less rankings points than Italy's games.

World Cup runners-up France have fallen two places to sixth following their shock 1-0 home defeat by Euro 2008 qualifying rivals Scotland.

Scotland are the biggest climbers in the top 20, leaping nine places to 14th thanks to the France win and a 3-1 qualifying victory over Lithuania.

England have returned to the top 10, going above European Championship qualifying Group D rivals Croatia to claim ninth spot.

Croatia still lead England in the race for Euro 2008 but gained less rankings points last month following wins over lower-ranked opposition.

England chalked up 3-0 victories over Israel and Russia while the Croatians beat Estonia 2-0 and handed out a 6-0 thrashing to Andorra.

Top 20 rankings

1. (3) Italy

2. (2) Argentina

3. (1) Brazil

4. (5) Germany

5. (7) Netherlands

6. (4) France

7. (8) Spain

8. (10) Portugal

9. (12) England

10. (6) Croatia

11. (8) Czech Republic

12. (13) Romania

13. (11) Mexico

14. (23) Scotland :icon_lol:

15. (14) Greece

16. (20) Poland

17. (15) Ukraine

18. (17) USA

19. (21) Uruguay

20. (19) Sweden

Good to see England taking their rightful place behind every decent football team in world football. Clearly one of the most overrated teams in history, making a meal of what is a very easy qualification group. I always felt - and still do - that Sven got a really hard time as manager, as getting England to two quarter finals was no disgrace, despite the opinion that England should be getting to the final, and winning it! As always with England, their arrogance is their downfall.

Nevermind, once you got shot of Sven and replaced him with an English manager, success would be a formality. Ha bloody ha!

Scotland on the other hand have improved so much since Bungling Berti left it's untrue. I doubt anyone could name me a team in world football who could do the double over France. They might have had better players but we were a better team.

It's good to be Scottish at the moment

Edited by Row Z

Good to see England taking their rightful place behind every decent football team in world football. Clearly one of the most overrated teams in history, making a meal of what is a very easy qualification group. I always felt - and still do - that Sven got a really hard time as manager, as getting England to two quarter finals was no disgrace, despite the opinion that England should be getting to the final, and winning it! As always with England, their arrogance is their downfall.

Nevermind, once you got shot of Sven and replaced him with an English manager, success would be a formality. Ha bloody ha!

Scotland on the other hand have improved so much since Bungling Berti left it's untrue. I doubt anyone could name me a team in world football who could do the double over France. They might have had better players but we were a better team.

It's good to be Scottish at the moment

Bitter much? :icon_lol::icon_lol:

• 4 years later...

England were fourth last month, win two games and now we're 8th?!?! How the fuck are Portugal, Uruguay and ITALY ranked above England, Brazil and Argentina? The only they've got right is Scotland ranked outside the top 50.