James Blunt

Guest James_coDurham

If we're going for the acoustic types then Jack Johnson is the only one that cracks it tbh

Totally agree... :huh:

Totally disagree, he's just a surfing James Bl©unt!

Without going all Patrokles on ya'ass get out there and listen to something that hasn't had the life ripped out of it by a major label A&R wanker!

Jack Johnson is ok, its just for me all his songs sound exactly the same.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're going for the acoustic types then Jack Johnson is the only one that cracks it tbh

Totally agree... ;)

Without going all Patrokles on ya'ass get out there and listen to something that hasn't had the life ripped out of it by a major label A&R wanker!

Hmmm - i think there's a tendancy to knock music if it becomes mainstream regardless of how good it is. I like Jack Johnson's stuff - and he isn't even comparable to James Bl©unt! :huh:

Totally agree... ;)

Hmmm - i think there's a tendancy to knock music if it becomes mainstream regardless of how good it is. I like Jack Johnson's stuff - and he isn't even comparable to James Bl©unt! :huh:

Ok, the surfing James Bl©unt might be a tad harsh but I hear Jack Johnson jangling away and it does nothing for me because he's not half the song writer that Chris Isaak was and let's be honest in the end he was just another A&R whipped waste of space in the end.

I know I always champion the cause but I've never understood how Adam Franklin was missed by his own english public??? Swervedriver should have been up there with the stone roses and my bloody valentine for great moments in 90s english music but it didn't happen. Now the guy is churning out great solo guitar stuff on small US indie labels and even less people know about him!

And there are a host of great musicans like him still making music and that doesn't include the back catalogue of the last 100 odd years of recorded music. So why the fuck we waste time and space on the half decent Jack Johnsons let alone the talentless, should have been a stain on the sheets James Bl©unts is beyond me.

Edited by sammynb

However Fish I have to disagree on the Newton Faulkner bit, now that is one shite album. If we're going for the acoustic types then Jack Johnson is the only one that cracks it tbh

I'd agree there's only two stand out tracks* on the album, but I'd say even his average stuff is better than Blunts average stuff.

*(Dream Catch me and his version of Teardrop fwiw)

Absolute tragedy what happened to buckley. :huh:

What he said.

Prince is one of the best musicians and songwriters of the era. He's constantly pumped out brilliant pop tunes for decades now.

James Blunt is a toff who just happens to have a guitar and a bleeding heart. His brand of radio friendly acoustic rock has only came about since Tesco began to sell CDs.

OMG he lyks an artist that is mainstream that izzzz soooooooooooooooo uncool lyk!

It's not about being mainstream or obscure... it's about musical ability, innovation, melody, originality and many many boxes that Blunt simply doesn't tick.

He's yet another example of middle of the road inoffensive boring tripe that you've heard a millin times before and will hear a million times again. He's not even the person who best epitomises that genre.

genuinely, if you do enjoy singer/songwriters check some of the artists that have been mentioned in this thread.

Guest James_coDurham

I find it funny as fuck that this thread was started to praise his new album, yet he's being criticized by you lot and you haven't even heard it. Pricks.

Totally agree... ;)

My backing of Johnson was in no way a "I think hes great" frankly for me that entire genre can go fuck themselves as it does nothing for me personally, but if I have to listen to something of that sort (say Im romancing the little laydee :huh:) then it would be Johnson.

I find it funny as fuck that this thread was started to praise his new album, yet he's being criticized by you lot and you haven't even heard it. Pricks.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh hark at you

I've heard both albums, am I still a prick ?

I've heard both albums, am I still a prick ?

depends what you thought about them shirley ?? :huh:

oh I'm sorry, is it a massive departure from his earlier works?

are we to hear about Blunt breaking astounding new ground with incredibly innovative lyrics or inventive melodies?

... or is it middle aged women fodder yet again? ;)

tell you what I'll download it and give an honest opinion. :huh:

I normally find the singles of Blunt, Johnson et al quite enjoyable but their albums seem to be the same song on repeat. My flatmate bought Blunt's first album and I found it tedious even though the songs aren't actually that bad. Y'know what I mean?