Service Pack 2 Problem

Paul

I can't install Service Pack 2 on my computer, as when I do so it will go for about a minute if I'm lucky without crashing. Also, when it crashes my screen changes to a solid colour, sometimes blue, sometimes red etc (basically it's like you've filled the screen with a colour in paint, and then viewed it in full screen mode). It will also sometimes change to multi-coloured stripes.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? Is my PC simply not compatible with SP2?

Much help appreciated :lol:

P.S. - I hope all that makes sense, I'm not the best at explaining things ;)

I can't install Service Pack 2 on my computer, as when I do so it will go for about a minute if I'm lucky without crashing. Also, when it crashes my screen changes to a solid colour, sometimes blue, sometimes red etc (basically it's like you've filled the screen with a colour in paint, and then viewed it in full screen mode). It will also sometimes change to multi-coloured stripes.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is? Is my PC simply not compatible with SP2?

Much help appreciated :icon_lol:

P.S. - I hope all that makes sense, I'm not the best at explaining things :angry:

31471[/snapback]

sounds like you haven't got a good copy of SP2 for me

Also checkout the Microsoft site to make sure you instatl it properly

I think one thing that I may have done wrong, is not exiting all other programs upon installing SP2.

Thanks for your help, I'll probably do a clean install of XP when I get round to it and then try again, following the instructions EXACTLY.

When's the last time you updated your graphic's driver? Might be no harm to update DirectX also.

I've heard it's a bad idea to leave things open but I do it all the time and I've never had a problem. I think they're just worried about denial of write access to a dll in use by another program during installation.