Police

Sima

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't really a question about whether they could swim or not though is it? They didn't jump into save him because they reckon they weren't properly trained to. That suggests that they could swim but chose not to which is even worse IMO.

A grown adult who can't swim is not a failing on their part to me. There is no requirement to be able to swim, it's something you do through choice. I've never had a problem swimming myself and was a strong swimmer by the age of 7. Some people have a fear of water which prevents them from being able to do it.

It's the same as telling someone who's afraid of heights that you can't understand why they won't climb a tower crane, they're an adult so they should be able to deal with it. It's simply not that black and white.

Back to the subject though, hiow qualified do you need to be to jump in and save someone (particularly a child) who is drowning? OK I am a strong swimmer and therefore I wouldn't think twice but even if I wasn't, I think I'd consider that a child would need my help and that I'd take the risk. If I didn't, I don't know how I'd be able to live with myself knowing that I could have perhaps prevented their death.

For the police to totally defend their actions is an absolute disgrace.

Let me guess every one you know is the very pinnacle of integrity and a paragon to measure human virtue against? :(

I've said a few times now that I'm fully aware that there are a lot of arseholes in the policeforce, it is not, however, singularly populated by arseholes, there are a lot of good men and women in the policeforce a fact you're happy to gloss over in your desire to paint the Police as a dictatorial menace to society.

Again as much you try to put words into my mouth (to attempt rather pathetically to make my points seem "unfounded" I guess :P ), no I don't have a "white hot hatred for the police", at all.

I do however have several legitimate concerns about them, yes. :nufc:

surely your concerns would be better directed towards the men and women who makes the laws rather than those charged with enforcing them?

Let me guess every one you know is the very pinnacle of integrity and a paragon to measure human virtue against? :(

I've said a few times now that I'm fully aware that there are a lot of arseholes in the policeforce, it is not, however, singularly populated by arseholes,

I never said it was - just that the ratio is fairly high, whether through attraction of the job or making of the job or both and because of the nature of the job it's slightly more concerning than say an "evil" sales assistant.

there are a lot of good men and women in the policeforce a fact you're happy to gloss over in your desire to paint the Police as a dictatorial menace to society.

You don't have to worry so much about "good ones", you do about "bad ones". Although the police aren't the "dictatorial menace" so much as the people that dictate to the police, they are more the tools (in both contexts of that statement :nufc:).

Again as much you try to put words into my mouth (to attempt rather pathetically to make my points seem "unfounded" I guess :P ), no I don't have a "white hot hatred for the police", at all.

I do however have several legitimate concerns about them, yes. :rolleyes:

surely your concerns would be better directed towards the men and women who makes the laws rather than those charged with enforcing them?

Yes it's both, although if the police were a paragon of virtue then there wouldn't be such an issue, but that's just not real life (so instead we have bad policy being enforced by average arseholes which compounds the bad policy).

I guess we're never going to agree on this Fop. I think the police are just indicative of the ballsed up society in which we live, and they're given an impossible task to do.

you don't.

Imagine being a copper and dealing with the scum like they have to. I couldn't do it like. And while not perfect the police in the UK are pretty good compared with most other countries.

I guess we're never going to agree on this Fop. I think the police are just indicative of the ballsed up society in which we live, and they're given an impossible task to do.

you don't.

Well I think that's true to a certain degree, although ill-thought out policing has had a hand in balling up the society as well.

Neither is a reason for letting kids drown, or indeed tasering people (without extreme provocation).

Imagine being a copper and dealing with the scum like they have to. I couldn't do it like.

True, but that's not reason to taser people without real justification (although it is often used as "justification" for US style "well cops have a hard job so if that guy looked at him funny then he deserved to be shot" police machismo).

And while not perfect the police in the UK are pretty good compared with most other countries.

Probably one of the best around, but that's still no reason for complacency, in fact it is a very, very good reason NOT to be complacent about them.

Imagine being a copper and dealing with the scum like they have to. I couldn't do it like.

True, but that's not reason to taser people without real justification (although it is often used as "justification" for US style "well cops have a hard job so if that guy looked at him funny then he deserved to be shot" police machismo).

Not the argument I was making though.

But it is part of the argument "we" were having.

Must have missed all the people making the "well cops have a hard job so if that guy looked at him funny then he deserved to be shot" argument.

Must have missed all the people making the "well cops have a hard job so if that guy looked at him funny then he deserved to be shot" argument.

Well you have just been to the USA haven't you? Probably became part of the background to you over there. :(

Well you have just been to the USA haven't you? Probably became part of the background to you over there. :(

Canada.

Canada.

Osmosis is clearly strong there.