Owen delays surgery for England.

Jimbo

Michael Owen is likely to be forced to undergo a hernia operation, but not until after England's final Euro 2008 qualifying game with Croatia on Nov 21.

Owen has been troubled by a groin injury in recent weeks, but should start against West Ham today despite being substituted last week when the problem flared up during Newcastle's 1-0 league defeat to Derby.

However, it now looks increasingly likely that there will not be any long-term solution without surgery. Owen is expected to fly to Munich in November to see Dr Ulrike Muschaweck, a pioneer in the field of hernia operations, who has successfully operated on Alan Shearer in the past.

Owen believes he can still be effective without surgery and wants to play in all of England's remaining Group E qualifying games.

By delaying the surgery, the 27-year-old should be fit to face Estonia and Russia before playing the critical Croatia game at Wembley.

That's very gallant of him to delay surgery so he can represent England in the qualifying games but perhaps the gallantry should be directed towards Newcastle United.

If he had the surgery immediately after our last game, prior to the International break, he would not miss as many of our scheduled games as the international break week would be part of his recovery time.

Of course if he plays today and agravates his problem and needs surgery now, then that too would mean he would miss less games than if he had the surgery after the qualifying games.

Still at least this way he gets to be the big England hero then have Christmas off with the bairns. Think of the poor children.

I seriously doubt he'll be out for over two months.

If they try the old rest/minor strain/rest/oh shit surgery route timed for England games then I wouldn't be surprised.

I really do like the bloke and hope he plays for us for a few years yet but anyone who doesn't think theres a question over who he puts first is fucking mental.

50 minutes and a "breakdown" again today...

I'm not usually one to have a go at him for wanting to play for England, but he's pushing it here if he continues to come wobbling off for us just so he can wobble off for England too. If it needs fixing, fuck England, have it done now! ... while we still have a more than capable alternative in Martins.

Harsh on Owen, he doesn't really look like he tries when he plays for England, it's just his game to look disinterested for ages then pop up with a clever run, assist or goal. He definately needs to have an op if the doctors recommend it, not after the england games, NOW. England got Rooney back and a choice of Ashton, Bent, Johnson, Defoe to choose from so this should not be an issue now, he's our player, and we need to get him sorted as soon as as we can't afford to be without him when MArtins goes to African Nations for a few games, we want CL spot now that Jose's buggered off!

It will be disgraceful if he doesn't get it done now that he had to go off injured again.

This is the key factor. Before today's game i was fine with the plan of playing on if able and getting the op later, because its important for us to get the season off to a good start for confidence and Owen can help with that.

However he's went off injured again and therefore isn't going to be able to do anything for us, so get him operated on right now as that's the best option.

Since he' an employee not something the club technically owns in the truest sense you can't force him to have an op when you say, but if he isn't able to finish a game for us untill he has it then i'm afraid he has to have it now.

Fuck England, we should be looking at the international break as a chance for him to recuperate while not missing as many games for Newcastle.

Exactly, remind him who pays for that lovely stable of horses of his.

Fuck England! He's an NUFC player - NUFC pay his wages. Who suffered when he got fucked playing for England in the World Cup? - NUFC that's who.

If he's got an injury, he gets it sorted out ASAP. We come first, it's not our fault that other England strikers are fucked, we shouldn't have to suffer because of that. Sorry like, but if he's fucked for NUFC, then he's fucked for England.

I'm getting a bit sick of 'Inger-fucking-land and their filthy cockney and or charver fans. Now Wembley's back open, they drop the rest of the country like a stone and go back to being another London team, but we're meant to make a sacrifice for the greater good, well bollocks to them - England are a bunch of cunts.

Oh Ecgfrith, why did you have to go and get yourself killed and subject us to them buggers.

It will be disgraceful if he doesn't get it done now that he had to go off injured again.

This is the key factor. Before today's game i was fine with the plan of playing on if able and getting the op later, because its important for us to get the season off to a good start for confidence and Owen can help with that.

However he's went off injured again and therefore isn't going to be able to do anything for us, so get him operated on right now as that's the best option.

Since he' an employee not something the club technically owns in the truest sense you can't force him to have an op when you say, but if he isn't able to finish a game for us untill he has it then i'm afraid he has to have it now.

Talking sense mate.

Owen doesn't get injured on purpose. Now he's knackered he's needs to have an op and get himself right asap. That's the best scenario for us and England.

Fuck England, we should be looking at the international break as a chance for him to recuperate while not missing as many games for Newcastle.

What's the point of keeping him hobbling about for a month? Get the op organised tomorrow. Was it a German woman that Shearer went to see? He was only out a few weeks.

What's the point of keeping him hobbling about for a month? Get the op organised tomorrow. Was it a German woman that Shearer went to see? He was only out a few weeks.

Aye that's what I meant, if we do it now and he's still recuperating during international week then he's missing less games for us.

I think Owen is going to the same woman as Shearer, I think he was back in light training just a couple of days after the op.