Chelski

Rob W

Wonder if the conflict does broaden in some way what are the chances of the spill over encompassing us too? Little for now maybe as Saudi really always has been very much in bed with the West. But MBS did refuse to take Biden's call this week so :D 

The Chelsea thing is funny as feck but a part of me does think this is unfair on the fans, massive pricks they may be. 

2 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Bloke on 5live was saying the kitman had been to the local sport shop but they didn't have enough shirts in stock

It wasn’t me….

• Haha 7

22 minutes ago, Howay said:

Jeez they are absolutely fucking dense. Because of political bias that he’s chosen not to yield, he very much could have fucked their club out of existence yet still they chat his name. They need to accept the reality that Roman Ambramovich and Chelsea Football Club going forward will be two distinctly separate entities. He will never be their owner again, nor should they want him to be.

it’s up there with the Mackems chanting Adam Johnson’s name whilst he was awaiting trial in terms of levels of embarrassment.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 4

It's being reported the club has to be sold before the licence runs out on May 31st. That's 81 days away.

Abramovich will not pocket a single penny from the sale. Rumour is the proceeds will end up being donated to charitable causes in Ukraine. Putin will be absolutely fucking livid if that's the case.

Nike are said to be ready to pull the plug on their shirt deal.

Shit time to be a Chelsea fan.

*still chuckling away here*

• Haha 2

there is a danger we indulge in too much schadenfreude. if this somehow the beginning of football finding its moral compass (i highly doubt it tbh) we would be next on the list 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

there is a danger we indulge in too much schadenfreude. if this somehow the beginning of football finding its moral compass (i highly doubt it tbh) we would be next on the list 

Football, moral compass :lol: That fucked off when Murdoch made his way in

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s absolutely fuck all to do with football finding its moral compass tbh. It’s government sanctions because of Russia invading Ukraine and coming under overwhelming pressure to do something about it. That’s not a defence of the Saudi regime, it’s just the facts of the matter. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Dont get me wrong, I’m hoping for nothing but Saudi backed glory to see out my time on this floating ball. 

But even if they fucked off, Howe as shown what can be achieved with mostly unglamorous players and proper training. We might not win anything but at least we would (probably) be a decent top 10 side.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Football, moral compass :lol: That fucked off when Murdoch made his way in

i deplore the saudis tbh but it's been my stock response when asked how i feel about he takeover: the game is gone - it sold its soul to the highest bidder when they let the oligarch in. opening the door to saudi money was the natural endgame. supporters don't get to choose who buys and sells their club etc.

the one thing this war has exposed is the amount of dirty money enmeshed in our economy. i doubt anything changes after the war ends and our politicians go back to taking donations from kleptocrats and gangsters but the war has clearly brought this conversation into focus and could be a catalyst for new rules about football ownership and foreign investment more broadly. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

When clubs are costing £3bil the only people who can afford to buy them are nation states or corrupt businessmen. The days of local fans with a bit of cash (John Hall, Jack Walker, Steve Gibson) buying premier league clubs are long gone 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s absolutely fuck all to do with football finding its moral compass tbh. It’s government sanctions because of Russia invading Ukraine and coming under overwhelming pressure to do something about it. That’s not a defence of the Saudi regime, it’s just the facts of the matter. 

yeah i meant policymakers tbh, who would then influence football administrators. our entire economy and political class have welcomed dirty money with open arms and i suspect this is an outlier and we return to business as usual after the war.

but wouldn't it be a good thing for sport, and society broadly, if more meaningful change came out of this? even if it deprived us of a few years competing in the champions league and buying trophies? i dunno. 

to CT's point, i think he's absolutely right. i'm fully on board the saudi bandwagon, despite feeling conflicted at times, but would be just as happy with a competent owner whose money was a bit cleaner but then as J69 says - do they even exist in football anymore? 

the game has gone 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

interesting take 

Kuper is talking out his arse. As Alex said this isn’t a punishment by football it’s a government sanction that happens to impact football, at no point did any footballing body show any sign whatsoever that they were going to move against Abramovich. Additionally, this is whataboutism and I’m fairly sure Kuper was one of those that accused Newcastle fans of it. 

He’s also pathetically downplaying who Abramovich is. His proximity to Putin isn’t some “no enemies” approach, how else would a man who made his wealth by essentially stealing from Russia during the breakdown of the USSR keep that money and be allowed to be anywhere near Russia by a man who wants to rebuild the very thing Abramovich (and other Oligarchs) siphoning helped break apart? There are other Oligarchs who didn’t end up like Abramovich and the others we see because they wouldn’t cosy up to Putin and do his bidding. His company’s help produce the tanks currently invading Ukraine, he was a Governor in Russia, he’s helped fund separatist movements that have led to this Ukraine conflict iirc. Painting him as some jolly bloke who just wants to be friendly with everyone and avoid any bother, but unfortunately has just been caught up in this is incredibly deceptive and undermines Kupers point. Saying all that it doesn’t really matter since his entire point is moot anyway, this wasn’t done by any footballing authority so there’s no hypocrisy from that standpoint.

The issue was and always has been allowing fucking scum like Abramovich in, this twisting on and saying which one is worse is a needless and absurd point. It’s just a thinly veiled attempt to have a go at our ownership from a tedious cunt iyam. Our owners are fucking scum, that point is abundantly clear and I’m more than fine with them being discussed in a “none of these scumbags should own clubs” context but they don’t need to be compared to Abramovich, there’s no acceptable level to me to the type of people being discussed. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 7

50 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

When clubs are costing £3bil the only people who can afford to buy them are nation states or corrupt businessmen. The days of local fans with a bit of cash (John Hall, Jack Walker, Steve Gibson) buying premier league clubs are long gone 

What boils my piss somewhat is the Chelsea ownership was barely an issue before the recent events (certainly compared to our ownership) and suddenly our ownership is relevant again too. It’s opportunistic bollocks imo. Driven by jealousy more than anything else 

• Like 5

Obscene jealousy at that. The other 19 clubs in the PL would rip their right arm off to be in the position we're in and their fans would too. 

Anyone suggesting they take the moral high ground and oppose such ownership is quite frankly talking out of their arsehole.

• Like 2

Spurs fans were desperate for the Saudis to buy them.

Before the sanctions all of the blue ticks were saying PIF should ditch Newcastle and buy Chelsea. 

Fuck them.

• Like 7