Smith: I’ll do anything for Toon cause

Scottish Mag

ALAN SMITH has pledged to give his all for Newcastle United – no matter where Sam Allardyce asks him to play.

The England international has been used wide on the right in recent games even though it is a position which clearly does not suit him.

But it is to Smith’s credit that he has not complained and just got on with the job and he played his part in yesterday’s 3-1 victory over West Ham at St James’ Park – a game in which he started on the right wing and ended up as a striker.

And in a frank interview after the game Smith emerged from the United dressing room to tell me: “People know what they get with me.

“Right midfield isn’t my preferred position, but if I’m out there people will know what they’ll get – 100%.

“Everyone knows central midfield or up front are my preferred positions, and I’ve been playing wide right.

“You’re giving something totally different to the team playing out wide. It’s difficult at times because people expect wingers to provide, and that’s not my best asset.

“But I can do a job for the team working as hard as possible, and you won’t get any complaints from me.

“I came to Newcastle and I’m a player who has played in every position throughout my career.”

As usual, Smith never stopped working against West Ham and, like everyone else with United connections he was delighted at the way the Hammers were sent home with nothing.

And the £6m signing added: “That was my best performance for Newcastle.

“I’ve been frustrated because I demand so much from myself. I’m my biggest critic at times, and I get frustrated with myself, which people see.

“I just want to improve and help Newcastle to do as well as possible.

“It was nice to get a win after the Derby performance.

“I know we can all improve as a team, but we’re going in the right direction and I think we saw commitment, passion and some good football against West Ham, which is what everyone wants to see.”

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if he's going to start every week, he has to play up front. he's hopeless at right wing. offered nothing going forward at all.

Bit like all of your posts about him Dan.

:(

That's because you've been fuckin shite, Alan.

Played very well on Sunday. In both positions. Keeps the teams shape an awful lot better than the bairns despite it not being his position. I'd happily drop Milner to keep Smith on the right of a three. He did that very successfully at Leeds. Of course, neither he or Milner are particularly good in that position but maybe the transfer window will sort that out.

That's because you've been fuckin shite, Alan.

Played very well on Sunday. In both positions. Keeps the teams shape an awful lot better than the bairns despite it not being his position. I'd happily drop Milner to keep Smith on the right of a three. He did that very successfully at Leeds. Of course, neither he or Milner are particularly good in that position but maybe the transfer window will sort that out.

I don't think he kept his position at all well on Sunday, quite a few times in the first half Beye was left up against both the fullback and the winger with Smith having drifted into the middle, when he was out there there was no understanding of who should pick up which player.

I don't want to see either Milner or Smith down the right as both are average and don't offer alot to overall play, a new right winger should be our number one priority come January.

Guest Patrokles

Milner's becoming a very good player for us in my opinion. To say he doesn't offer a lot to overall play is ridiculous. Other than goals, crosses, a good work-ethic, etc.

Edited by Patrokles

Milner's becoming a very good player for us in my opinion. To say he doesn't offer a lot to overall play is ridiculous. Other than goals, crosses, a good work-ethic, etc.

I don't think he is, apart from a few goals and assists he offers very little in his general play compared to what other wingers that our so called rivals for a European place have, he's possibly the slowest winger in the league and his style of play is far too predictable, usually the big lofted cross that defenders find easy to defend, he also slows play down too much by trying to turn the same man 3 or 4 times.

Massively overrated because he stood out in a shite team last year IMO.

I don't think he is, apart from a few goals and assists he offers very little in his general play compared to what other wingers that our so called rivals for a European place have, he's possibly the slowest winger in the league and his style of play is far too predictable, usually the big lofted cross that defenders find easy to defend, he also slows play down too much by trying to turn the same man 3 or 4 times.

that's what wingers are for, no?

Giggs?

that's what wingers are for, no?

Giggs?

No, I expect far more from a winger than half a dozen assists and a few goals over the course of a season, to start with the Premiership is all about pace and for anyone who's seen us play this season will know that we've struggled in that department, players that our rivals for the Uefa cup have in that position offer far more over the course of 90 minutes than Milner does, players like Bentley, Lennon and Arteta have a far bigger impact on the teams performance than Milner ever will.

Giggs is slow but his ability to beat a man is fantastic, he drifts by them like they're not even there and I'd say he was still a faster player, Milner on the other hand insists on having to try and turn the same player 3 or 4 times which slows our attacks down.

If we want to improve then his position on the right should be the first we look to improve on come January.

Edited by Baggio

Clueless.

Can you point out what you don't agree with and give a reason why?

It's much better than the 'clueless' response and makes you look incapable of debating a point.

Giggs is faster than Milner? Ok.

The fact you even admitted Milner stood out in a shite squad last season contradicts everything you have said basically.

Clueless.

Can you point out what you don't agree with and give a reason why?

It's much better than the 'clueless' response and makes you look incapable of debating a point.

Giggs is faster than Milner? Ok.

The fact you even admitted Milner stood out in a shite squad last season contradicts everything you have said basically.

How have I contradicted myself?

Standing out in a shit team doesn't necessarily mean you're the best player, both Milner and Butt stood out because they give 100% on the pitch where as someone like N'Zogbia chose to sulk because he doesn't share a similar attitude, yet I don't think there's much doubt that he's the better player, certainly better than Milner anyway.

Btw Scott Parker stood out the season before because he gave 100% and got stuck in, unfortunately for us he wasn't good enough either.