Arsenal v Newcastle United

MattM4

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Martins lashes it when he should place it and places it when it needs lashing. His decision making is rank.

And now he's let the ball run off his foot for them to go down the other end and get their second.

:( Preaching to the converted tbh. In fact you're preaching to the Pope.

Maybe people will start to wake up to the fact that this lad is a poor man's Yakubu.

Martins lashes it when he should place it and places it when it needs lashing. His decision making is rank.

And now he's let the ball run off his foot for them to go down the other end and get their second.

Maybe people will start to wake up to the fact that this lad is a poor man's Yakubu.

Thank god we have a fully fit Michael Owen and an inform Shola Ameobi eh ? :P

Thank god we have a fully fit Michael Owen and an inform Shola Ameobi eh ? :P

I'm not sure what your point is tbh. I've said for a long while now that this lad isn't good enough, while the majority have gone way over the top about him. Owen's injured and Shola's shit, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Martins just isn't a very good footballer.

Thank god we have a fully fit Michael Owen and an inform Shola Ameobi eh ? :nufc:

Jimbo blatantly only sticking up for him 'cause he bought a MARTINS 9 shirt :P

Thank god we have a fully fit Michael Owen and an inform Shola Ameobi eh ? :rolleyes:

Jimbo blatantly only sticking up for him 'cause he bought a MARTINS 9 shirt :P

and ? :nufc:

Owen's injured and Shola's shit, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Martins just isn't a very good footballer.

But even you'll agree that under the current circimstances, Martins should be starting the next 2-3 league games. Needs to get a decent run and get some confidence to be effective.

Our American friend will no doubt be along later to tell me that Martins tried harder than Owen tonight.

I'm not an American so you can't mean me Mr.Gemmill, but Martins did try harder than Owen tonight unless Owen was on the nest bad groin an'all :(

Our American friend will no doubt be along later to tell me that Martins tried harder than Owen tonight.

I'm not an American so you can't mean me Mr.Gemmill, but Martins did try harder than Owen tonight unless Owen was on the nest bad groin an'all :(

Wow. Just wow.

Owen's injured and Shola's shit, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Martins just isn't a very good footballer.

But even you'll agree that under the current circimstances, Martins should be starting the next 2-3 league games. Needs to get a decent run and get some confidence to be effective.

He starts by default unfortunately, yes.

Why not start Smith up there?

To speak for Gemmill, I don't think the basic problem is having to play Martins because of the injury situation. The problem about Martins are really rather those people who big up every decent performance by him and making him a superstar when he is in fact very erratic. And that is unfortunately not dependent on the amount of games he gets.

Edited by Isegrim

Because I couldn't bear having to hear you whine about it for a week after.

Even if he had started up front, I couldn't see him staying there too long tonight.

Because I couldn't bear having to hear you whine about it for a week after.

Like you do with Martins tbh.

To speak for Gemmill, I don't think the basic problem is having to play Martins because of the injury situation. The problem about Martins are really rather those people who big up every decent performance by him and making him a superstar when he is in fact very erratic. And that is unfortunately not dependent on the amount of games he gets.

But I think overall because we are not a team who can keep the ball and tear teams apart with our passing. We need a player like Martins who can be explosive and create something out of nothing, which is why Zoggy is a cut above the rest.

I certainly do agree that Martins has some basic footballing flaws, but because he can do the spectacular some are more inclined to overlook his flaws. Anyway to use a poker term, Gemmill, I think playing Martins is +EV.

PS: In fact the analogy is perfect, I was thinking about is the other day. Shola for example is -EV, the equivalent of constantly going all in vs AA with 72. Sometimes you will crack the bullets.

"Newcastle should have equalised shortly after but Martins' nonchalant effort after rounding Fabianski allowed Senderos time to get back and clear."

Sounds like he reads the board and tried to place it this time :(