Sir Bob to start GNR

peasepud

Sir_bobby_robson.gifFootball legend Sir Bobby Robson is to fire the starting pistol for the 2007 BUPA Great North Run. The former Newcastle United and England coach will set the estimated 50,000 runners on their way in Europe's biggest road race on 30 September. The 74-year-old has been resting at his County Durham home after battling his fifth bout of cancer.

Sir Bobby said he was "honoured" to be at the start of the 13.1 mile event from Newcastle to South Shields. Sir Bobby said: "I am honoured to be asked to set the runners on the way at the BUPA Great North Run. I last started it in 1999 and it was without question one of the greatest sporting moments of my life. I'm really looking forward to Sunday morning and seeing that mass of colour and the runners of all ages, sizes and abilities set off towards South Shields. It's a fantastic sight."

Earlier this year doctors discovered Mr Robson had small cancerous nodules in his lungs. He has battled the disease on and off for the last 15 years, having undergone cancer surgery four times.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7012073.stm

Yup, I'll give him a wave as I pass him....on me way to the sarnie shop :(