Oba and out

Scottish Mag

OBA MARTINS today revealed his desperate disappointment after Newcastle United’s Carling Cup exit at the hands of a young but talented Arsenal side.

The Nigerian international is well aware that the spotlight is now firmly upon him to get Toon goals.

For it was confirmed last night that Michael Owen is heading for Germany tomorrow for a hernia operation, while fellow strikers Shola Ameobi (groin) and Mark Viduka (foot) are struggling for fitness.

Former Inter Milan star Martins had three great chances to net for the Magpies in the capital last night, but left the field empty-handed as hopes of another trophy died against last year’s finalists.

Martins said today: “I feel really, really sorry for our fans.

“It was disappointing for all of us, but especially me after having some good chances.

“The fans wanted us to win this cup and they were really good for us last night. They tried everything to help us to win, but we couldn’t do it for them.

“Last night is very disappointing for them, especially as we had a lot of good chances to score and change the game.

“We did our very best, but we just couldn’t do it on the night.

“We wanted to go far in this cup and we felt we could beat Arsenal, but it wasn’t to be and I feel very sad today.”

Martins’ first chance arrived early in the game when Jose Enrique’s crisp left-wing cross was headed towards goal by the African, only for Gunners keeper Lukasz Fabianski to pull out a top-drawer save.

The £10m man blazed over another first-half effort, but was denied straight after Arsenal had taken the lead when he went round Fabianski, only to see Philippe Senderos make a last-ditch clearance to keep his side ahead.

This prompted the Toon ace to add: “I feel very unlucky.

“With my first chance, the keeper had to pull off a good save.

“You have to try to forget it when you miss, though.

“I had a second chance to score, but for me, the chance after Arsenal had scored upset me most.

“I heard the fans celebrating and I really thought the ball was going in.”

Martins – who seems certain to lead the attack at Manchester City on Saturday – says he must recover quickly from his painful night in the capital.

And he knows the only answer is goals, with the player already on three strikes and two assists this term.

He added: “As a striker I have to accept it wasn’t my day, it was hard luck.

“After the game I thought ‘Oh my god’ but I have to recover.

“It’s over now, so I have to focus on the next game against Manchester City.”

Did anyone hear the Sky Sports lads talking about the "car shooting" incident over the West Ham game?

"We tried to look into the incidents, but all enquiries have failed to come up with anything".

Crazy bastard.

Edited by Barney

From what I've seen, albeit from web snippets, he was very unlucky last night with two of those chances. The one immediately after Arsenals goal, I couldn't have seen Owen do anything different tbh.

From what I've seen, albeit from web snippets, he was very unlucky last night with two of those chances. The one immediately after Arsenals goal, I couldn't have seen Owen do anything different tbh.

You're wrong, Owen would have fallen over and smashed his coccyx while simultaneously rupturing his spleen.

he had three glorious chances. the first one was well saved by the keeper. the second one he ballooned over the bar when well set. the third one was probably the worst miss. he rounded the keeper then hit a really tame shot into an open goal, the lack of pace on the shot allowing sendaros to get back and clear off the line.

overall though i thought he was our biggest attackign threat. shame he didn't have anyone alongside him until the last 5 minutes of the game. leading the line and winning long balls in the air isn't his strong point...

Guest Patrokles

You're wrong, Owen would have fallen over and smashed his coccyx while simultaneously rupturing his spleen.

Would have put it away first though.

:icon_lol: Really?

One man crusade against the fella

You're right, I should celebrate his missed open goals. And I should ignore when people try to absolve him of responsibility for them. My mistake.

You're right, I should celebrate his missed open goals. And I should ignore when people try to absolve him of responsibility for them. My mistake.

Terse reply Gemmill. He is one of the few we have who can create anything on his own. He's erratic and we know it. I'd still rather have the likes of him than James Milner though.

Sort of. In reality I'd prefer we had neither and got some proper footballers.

Terse reply Gemmill. He is one of the few we have who can create anything on his own. He's erratic and we know it. I'd still rather have the likes of him than James Milner though.

Sort of. In reality I'd prefer we had neither and got some proper footballers.

Milner is a better footballer than Martins.

It may be deceptive, but Martins always looks more dangerous during games than Owen does. I know that Owen is a more polished finisher, a better footballer in general, but Martins is busier, and seems more likely to provide goals for other players with this workrate...

I think he'd work better with Viduka than Owen does because put simply, he works harder and isn't as afraid of pushing himself as Owen is.

I rate Owen, I really do, but facts are, he's out and will probably not be able to string 4 games together on his return without succumbing to yet another injury. Martins was flying before Owen's return full of confidence and scoring goals, he's immediately dropped on the golden boys return and is now (unsurprisingly) devoid of the same self-belief that had the fans cheering beforehand.

to complain because he's not as good a footballer as Owen is daft imo, you have to look at the stats, he's scored more and set up more than Owen has in this campaign. It's all well and good having Ronaldo on your books but if Mickey Quinn is scoring just under a goal a game, you start the fat man.

Edit by that I meant Ronaldo, not Quinn

Edited by The Fish

:razz:

What's so funny about that?

Had he have been playing for Arsenal and one of our defenders cleared his third shot off the line, we'd be saying how great the defending was and not how shite the striker was.