PFA plan to stage legends match

khay

PFA plan to stage legends match

Alan Shearer will captain a team of England legends

Former England striker Alan Shearer and ex-Italy star Gianfranco Zola will captain teams in a one-off match involving a host of football legends.

The game, part of the Professional Footballers' Association's centenary celebrations, will be at the City of Manchester Stadium on 2 December.

Shearer will skipper a team of England legends managed by Terry Venables.

Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson will lead Zola's international XI, which may include Zinedine Zidane.

Teddy Sheringham, Roy Keane, David Ginola, Marcel Desailly, Ian Rush, Peter Beardsley, Chris Waddle and Niall Quinn are among those also expected to feature.

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor said: "It promises to be a fantastic occasion with so many footballing legends on show.

"I am absolutely thrilled that Sven-Goran Eriksson has agreed to manage the Rest of the World XI whilst another former England boss, Terry Venables, has said he would love to manage the England legends.

"I'm also hoping against hope that there will be one or two more surprises in store," added Taylor.

"David Beckham and Zidane have expressed an interest in appearing, but both may have other commitments so I'm not going to say for definite they will be there."

Proceeds from the match will go towards the PFA's funding of a £1m new children's rehabilitation and physiotherapy unit at the University Children's Hospital in Manchester.

From BBC.

Proceeds to charity?

Proceeds from the match will go towards the PFA's funding of a £1m new children's rehabilitation and physiotherapy unit at the University Children's Hospital in Manchester.

You should see an optician. :icon_lol: