Harrogate

A Tesco Express just opened round the corner from here. First day they were open, the security guard stopped me and accused me of shoplifting. Apparently I looked "suspicious" because I'd brought my own shopping bag with me (German to the last...) to avoid having to use half a dozen of their climate-change-tastic plastic carriers. Gotta love that multinational customer service.

Aye, it's weird. They're actually only a few pence cheaper on most stuff than the three or four decent independent shops nearby, plus you actually get service with a smile there, but you can bet most of the latter will have sold up within a year or two. Seems like there's a definite "build it and they will come" thing with the Tesco brand. I mean I do my weekly shop there, but I don't really need them on every street corner.

I mean I do my weekly shop there, but I don't really need them on every street corner.

If you shop there they will come :icon_lol:

Unfortunately my resistance to major supermarket chains doesn't stretch as far as living off a diet of frozen pizza, imported Arabic Diet Coke and deformed vegetables from the local farmer's market. What's a consumer to do?