Harper for England

trophyshy

It's more an indictment of the state of English goalkeeping than any real compliment of Harper's ability, but given a proper run in somebody's first team, you'd have to say he'd be in the reckoning for the squad at least.

If he'd played more historically I can't see how they could have kept him out of the England squad, but Englans no. 1? I dunno, even though the opposition for playing there isn't so great at the moment he'd have to be pretty outstanding to get that now.

It's more an indictment of the state of English goalkeeping than any real compliment of Harper's ability, but given a proper run in somebody's first team, you'd have to say he'd be in the reckoning for the squad at least.

Thats what I mean. If he gets benched as is probably expected he wont and shouldn't be picked. If he moved on though, he'd be in with more than a fair shout.

Harper is keeping Shay, who is the second best keeper in the prem, out of our team and rightly so. You cant fault his performances or the fact that BS is picking him on form and until he starts dropping clangers Shay will stay on the bench.

I cant see Maclaren picking him tho`, It will be Robinson, James or Carson, irrelavant of form

he's no worse than robinson and james

I would say James is definitely a superior 'keeper personally.

Well he probably is (of the 3) until he makes a silly mistake that costs you a game.

Well he probably is (of the 3) until he makes a silly mistake that costs you a game.

Robinson's prone to them too to be fair. He's the most naturally gifted though (James) imo. Shame about that big match temperament as that's when a lot of his clangers seem to occur. Harper hasn't played enough top level games to know how he'd cope with the pressure I suppose. Harper's been excellent this season though.

If he'd gone elsewhere where he'd been first choice at any of the multiple opportunities he's had to do so, I fully believe he would be in the England squad. Depending on form and performance, he could have been anywhere in the mix (1-3.)

As it is, though, unless he goes somewhere for first team football, he'll never have to chance.

Harps is good enough to be in the england squad. But hes just unfortunate that hes up against newcastles most consistant GK in living memory. And BS needs to be careful not to fuck him off and watch him leave for somewhere else.

If Shearer, Woodgate, Ferdinand missed a game or two through injury they would be straight back in the first XI as ASAP. I dont see why Given is any different.

And when is the last time that happened?

And when is the last time that happened?

For England? When he lost the No1 position.

He's been playing well domestically, but what counts against him is his age combined with the perceived undermining of Robinson if he's dropped for him.