Wireless routers

Ally

I need one for my flat, seen one for £59. Is there any way I can get a cheaper one from any shop/website?

31873[/snapback]

Tight arse! :icon_lol:

Try pricerunner or something similar, although I'd be a bit weary about going too cheap as you generally gets what you pays for.

I need one for my flat, seen one for £59. Is there any way I can get a cheaper one from any shop/website?

31873[/snapback]

Tight arse! :icon_lol:

Try pricerunner or something similar, although I'd be a bit weary about going too cheap as you generally gets what you pays for.

31906[/snapback]

I just thought that looked really expensive. If thats the going rate then fair enough, but I wasn't sure if PC World were ripping me off or not

The words 'PC World' and 'ripping off' in the same sentence?? Never!!

I avoid that shop like the plague - last time I was there was when I was trying to kill time when the missus' car was in for an MOT. I'd got within 10 feet of the desktop PCs when some teenage oik stepped in front of me and asked:

"Are you looking for a computer for games or web-surfing?"

I shook my head and walked away - I was tempted to tell him I wanted one for neither and instead was looking for a development machine, but I couldn't be arsed.

:icon_lol: Useless fuckers.

Anyway, I emailed Wanadoo yesterday cos i'm a bit thick on this topic, and they replied to me saying that they do a deal called Wireless & Talk. The lass on the email said that they will loan me a 'Livebox' router thing free of charge.

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/id/7145.htm#section_1

Is this a good deal or is it a sham?

Yeah, I'm looking into wireless networking for the first time too. Got broadband in the loft and need to share it with 3 desktops (including this one) and a laptop.

Any ideas where to start? :icon_lol:

Edited by BlueStar

Bump

Sorry, but I really need info on this quickly!

Hope someone knows more than i do about it.

32368[/snapback]

I use the Livebox with Wanadoo France, I have to say it has some of the worst installation software I've ever used for anything but once set up it's allright. If you want to do anything complex like port forwarding the interface is laughable but achievable.

If you're not tied into that Wireless & Talk deal you can get much better prices for online calls, I pay 1.7 euro cents (~1.2 pence) to call all of those locations and more through Skype. One of the major voip operators gives you I think 15 USD per month for unlimited calls. Mobile calls to any country including the UK are expensive though.

If they're tying you in to that contract for a free Livebox I'd steer clear to be honest. I know also I'm paying 3 euro a month for mine so check your contract.

Basically you just buy a wireless router-modem and the correct amount of wi-fi cards and install them all. A router-modem starts at about £60. Wifi cards form about £10.

In my opinion you are best sticking to wired connections more reliable and have no black spots as can happen with wi-fi. Theres also no chance of anyone else stealing your internet.

Basically you just buy a wireless router-modem and the correct amount of wi-fi cards and install them all. A router-modem starts at about £60. Wifi cards form about £10.

In my opinion you are best sticking to wired connections more reliable and have no black spots as can happen with wi-fi. Theres also no chance of anyone else stealing your internet.

32389[/snapback]

Lock the router to MAC addresses if you must- then you'll only get hacked if you live within 100 metres of a super-nerd and he would be easily hunted down.

31873[/snapback]

You could always try fucking looking round shops and websites yourself you lazy twat! You've looked at ONE and now you want everyone else to do your shopping for you. Will you be expecting someone off here to come and install the fucker too?

:icon_lol:

31873[/snapback]

You could always try fucking looking round shops and websites yourself you lazy twat! You've looked at ONE and now you want everyone else to do your shopping for you. Will you be expecting someone off here to come and install the fucker too?

:angry:

32392[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

All right grandad!

As I said before I didn't know if that was the going rate or if it was a rip off. Then I asked if that Wanadoo deal was a good one - i'll do my own shopping thanks :angry:

All though i'm open to offers if anyone wants to install it!!

dragging this one up to the top for some help from net geeks

Ive got a lappy with 802.11g wifi card and im going to buy a wireless router.

Ive got NTL broadband (1 meg connection i think) so is it best to get 54mbps or 125mbps?

Ill probably buy Belkin as ive got one of their wired routers and im quite pleased with it

I avoid that shop like the plague - last time I was there was when I was trying to kill time when the missus' car was in for an MOT. I'd got within 10 feet of the desktop PCs when some teenage oik stepped in front of me and asked:

I shook my head and walked away - I was tempted to tell him I wanted one for neither and instead was looking for a development machine, but I couldn't be arsed.

32039[/snapback]

Soft southern nerd tbh

In my experience with Wireless systems you get what you pay for, I got a cheap wifi-PCI card and really regret it, it loses signal a lot, my microwave buggers it up too, yet the connection I get between my PSP and my wireless router is spot on.

Go for a well known brand like Linksys.

well ive got a Belkin 54mbps sitting here on my desk but not sure if i should take it back and get 125mbps. Im just wondering if the router will make little difference when Ntl are just bashing out a 0.5meg connection

well ive got a Belkin 54mbps sitting here on my desk but not sure if i should take it back and get 125mbps. Im just wondering if the router will make little difference when Ntl are just bashing out a 0.5meg connection

33766[/snapback]

If you're only using the network for net traffic then there will of course be zero difference. You'll only need 125 if you are regularly transferring a large volume of data (such as backing up a drive to a central filestore)

32039[/snapback]

Soft southern nerd tbh

33753[/snapback]

Fuck off yer Yorkie bastard! :lol:

Ally, I'll install it for you - chargeable rate is £256 per day. Minimum charge is 1 day!

32039[/snapback]

Soft southern nerd tbh

33753[/snapback]

Fuck off yer Yorkie bastard! :lol:

Ally, I'll install it for you - chargeable rate is £256 per day. Minimum charge is 1 day!

33827[/snapback]

No problem, send the invoice to my housemate Mr Stephen Roe :nufc: