Rap.....

Craig

Hip-Hop has been shite since '97 IMO. It's often said but the decline did coincide with the death of 2Pac & Biggie.

:rolleyes:

Hello Nasty '98

Things Fall Apart '99

Labour Days '01

Run Come Save Me '01

Phrenology '02

Madvillainy '04

The Mouse and the Mask '05

Game Theory '06

Fishscale '06

Mostly :lol:

There is plenty of good rap music out there, it's just about finding it.

Like pretty much all genres really.

Well I'd say more so with rap really as most of the decent stuff is based in America and rarely picked up by the media over here.

You say that because you're into rap though. My point was that with nearly any genre, especially one that has crossed into the mainstream/pop world, you have to dig a bit deeper. I don't think rap is particularly unique in that regard.

I'm not trying to say it's unique, what I'm saying is that decent rap isn't well catered for in Britain, of course there are other genres that share this problem and the fact that there is little decent homegrown rap music doesn't help. I suppose it's really the way in that the genre is nearly completed Americanised that is the problem (and again I'm not saying that rap is unique in this respect).

Apart from Roots Manuva, Dizzee Rascal, Wiley, Sway, M.I.A, Scroobius Pip..........

:D

I did say little, though a few of those on your list haven't convinced me otherwise. :rolleyes:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye, you can add Tricky to that list (obviously there are links with him and MA), though he'd need to get his finger out and start putting out something new.

Maxinquaye is absolute quality. :lol:

Hip-Hop has been shite since '97 IMO. It's often said but the decline did coincide with the death of 2Pac & Biggie.

:lol:

Hello Nasty '98

Things Fall Apart '99

Labour Days '01

Run Come Save Me '01

Phrenology '02

Madvillainy '04

Game Theory '06

Fishscale '06

I've got stacks and stacks of hip-hop post '97, but it pales in comparison to what was coming before it. I'm also probably saying this as well as my favourite era is the G-Funk era and that was also in and around the same time that era died. Although you do get the odd classic appearing from just after such as albums by the likes of Lil Half Dead and DJ Quik knocking out consistency after consistency but it just isn't as good as it used to be.

And it's not just about looking deeper as you put it as I can guarantee you that's levels I am talking about.

Hello Nasty '98

Things Fall Apart '99

Labour Days '01

Run Come Save Me '01

Phrenology '02

Madvillainy '04

Game Theory '06

Fishscale '06

I've got stacks and stacks of hip-hop post '97, but it pales in comparison to what was coming before it. I'm also probably saying this as well as my favourite era is the G-Funk era and that was also in and around the same time that era died. Although you do get the odd classic appearing from just after such as albums by the likes of Lil Half Dead and DJ Quik knocking out consistency after consistency but it just isn't as good as it used to be.

And it's not just about looking deeper as you put it as I can guarantee you that's levels I am talking about.

It's Ewerk saying you have to look deeper. I think it's all there on a plate.

Rap is no different to any other genre where people wax lyrical about stuff more than a decade old because they're all dead/past it now. Depending on who you talk to rock music hasn't been bettered since The Beatles, Led Zepellin, The Clash, Oasis were in their prime.

There's always good stuff going on and coming around the corner. In 10 years they'll be saying Rap's been shit since '06, like they were saying in '97 it's been shit since '88.

Hello Nasty '98

Things Fall Apart '99

Labour Days '01

Run Come Save Me '01

Phrenology '02

Madvillainy '04

Game Theory '06

Fishscale '06

It's Ewerk saying you have to look deeper. I think it's all there on a plate.

Rap is no different to any other genre where people wax lyrical about stuff more than a decade old because they're all dead/past it now. Depending on who you talk to rock music hasn't been bettered since The Beatles, Led Zepellin, The Clash, Oasis were in their prime.

There's always good stuff going on and coming around the corner. In 10 years they'll be saying Rap's been shit since '06, like they were saying in '97 it's been shit since '88.

Yes because that's what I'm doing. Nothing to do with the fact as the genre moved on I didn't like the sound that was coming out from the majority I was listening to.

as the genre moved on I didn't like the sound that was coming out from the majority I was listening to.

Champion.

That's not to say Hip Hop's been shit though. Just that you've not been as much of a fan.

Personally I can't stand Biggie or Tupac, having loved stuff that came before and after. Though, I'll admit I've never really given them the time of day in the first place.

as the genre moved on I didn't like the sound that was coming out from the majority I was listening to.

Champion.

That's not to say Hip Hop's been shit though. Just that you've not been as much of a fan.

Personally I can't stand Biggie or Tupac, having loved stuff that came before and after. Though, I'll admit I've never really given them the time of day in the first place.

They're both mint like, but I was using them as a prime example as I honestly feel the music from all parties involved hasn't been as good since that period ended with those two dominating, not necessarily meaning both were the best. But that was the period I loved most, mainly as I said as that's when G-Funk was at it the front from the Westcoast and it has always been my favourite style of hip-hop.

Above The Law. :lol:

Well Zach De Le Rocha kind of raps for Rage Against the Machine, albeit poorly.

So il go for good. Plus Robert Plant raps on 'What is and what should never be'

Don't forget Dylan on Subterranean Homesick Blues.

Good Call!

Mmm, maybe it's the convict in me but when it comes to rap and/or hip hop I have to say Australia got all the sportsmen.

Personally I've always been drawn to the UK variants - Tricky, UNKLE, massive attack, faithless, even PWEI skirted around the edges of rap/hip hop (kind of).

Have to admit I've seen Grand master flash, Public Enemy, body count, Beastie boys (but who the fuck knows what genre they are this week) and Ice T a couple of times and they are all great live but maybe the fact they were composing song on subjects other than how so brother is gunna fuck so hooooooooooo, yeaaaaaaaaaaah, I said hoooooooooooooooooo, yeaaaaaaaaaaaah. Or pop a cap in me ass!

If you must try the australian joke version of hip hop, Sonic Animation were pretty cool (very tongue in cheek), I have a mate who constantly claims the hilltop hoods are worth a listen.

• 1 year later...