I’ll fight for my place: Faye

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE UNITED’S Senegal international Abdoulaye Faye has revealed he expects “no special favours” from his old boss Sam Allardyce.

The ball-winning midfield man – who will miss a large chunk of the season after Christmas as he heads to Ghana for the African Cup of Nations – is desperate to earn a run in the team after joining from Bolton Wanderers on transfer deadline day.

And although he admits his rapport with Big Sam is “excellent” he knows he faces a fight for his place.

Faye told the Chronicle: “The manager was a big reason why I came to Newcastle.

“I enjoyed my time playing under him at Bolton and I am looking forward to my future here.

“I know that just because he is my old manager I am not certain to play so I have to battle for my place here.”

Faye also says he will do a job for Allardyce in the heart of defence should he get the call from his manager.

The 29-year-old has operated as a central midfielder so far in Toon colours with his only start coming in the Carling Cup defeat at Arsenal.

However, after a summer of torment at Bolton – which resulted in Faye going on strike until his future was resolved following Newcastle’s interest in the player – Faye has underlined his desire for a fresh start on Tyneside and is willing to help out Big Sam’s back four if he gets the nod.

Faye continued: “I can play in central midfield and I think that is my best position.

“But I have also played as a defender in the middle during my career too, like I did at Bolton, so if needed I will play there.

“Where I play is up to the manager, but I would be happy to play in either position.”

With Brazilian centre-back Cacapa missing out on the trip to the City of Manchester Stadium through a groin injury, Allardyce turned to Steven Taylor to partner David Rozehnal, who appears to be first-choice defender so far in the Big Sam era.

And while Cacapa is struggling with injury and United leaked goals at Eastlands, Allardyce may be ready to turn back the clock.

Indeed, Faye was the man who Allardyce used as a centre-half for the majority of last season and helped Bolton qualify for the UEFA Cup.

And Faye underlined his admiration for Allardyce after rejoining his old boss at St James’ Park following their stint together at the Reebok Stadium, with the Senegalese ace playing a big part in their rise up the Premier League.

Now Faye would love to repeat that at Gallowgate.

He added: “The future looks good here and I hope that I can help Newcastle reach a European place.”

He was poor against Derby but Butt's been canny apart from that imo.

I thought he was ok against West Ham and Bolton but awful in the other games. His passing is not only negative but becoming erratic. But especially his lack of pace is becoming a major concern imho. The situation that lead to Elano's great freekick was just a prime example. Butt is too often getting beaten by pace and has then to resort to shirt tugging and kicking after players. In this form he is easily replaceable.

He was poor against Derby but Butt's been canny apart from that imo.

I thought he was ok against West Ham and Bolton but awful in the other games. His passing is not only negative but becoming erratic. But especially his lack of pace is becoming a major concern imho. The situation that lead to Elano's great freekick was just a prime example. Butt is too often getting beaten by pace and has then to resort to shirt tugging and kicking after players. In this form he is easily replaceable.

Eggsactly...

Id rather have Taylor over Rozy tbh. Im surprised nobody is really picking up on the mistakes he is making. The Bendtner goal was his fault and his positioning for Mpenzas goal was suspect too. He looks great on the ball but still needs a lot of adjusting to the country. Some people are eager to jump on Taylors imo.

Guest Patrokles
Id rather have Taylor over Rozy tbh. Im surprised nobody is really picking up on the mistakes he is making. The Bendtner goal was his fault and his positioning for Mpenzas goal was suspect too. He looks great on the ball but still needs a lot of adjusting to the country. Some people are eager to jump on Taylors imo.

Comfortably better than Taylor.

In your opinion....

In your opinion....

In everyones opinion bar yours. You've picked up on one or two of Rozehnal's mistakes and completely neglected to mention Taylor's.

In your opinion....

In everyones opinion bar yours. You've picked up on one or two of Rozehnal's mistakes and completely neglected to mention Taylor's.

My comment wasn't to neglect his mistakes but to point out Rozy has made quite a few aswell this season which seems to be getting overlooked.

My Nan has always said that Africans were lazy.

Up until now, I thought she was just being racist.

What the fuck are you talking about chicken little????

Did an African just refuse to blow you/lick your shoes/empty your trash/wash the dishes/fuck your girlfriend because your penis is small and pathetic like you?

You really do talk some shite.

But in fact she was also being an ignorant cretin?

Probably, but that's old people for you.

Did an African just refuse to blow you/lick your shoes/empty your trash/wash the dishes/fuck your girlfriend because your penis is small and pathetic like you?

I think somebody's been drinking fairy washing up liquid again.

Yes that probably explains your post.

What's it like? Tasty?

Yes that probably explains your post.

What's it like? Tasty?

Probably wouldn't know, it's usually sprayed up his back <_<