Without Micah, Dunne and me City wouldn't have had Thaksin, the Premier League and Sven, says Barton

Scottish Mag

Joey Barton believes Manchester City's resurgence this season may not have happened without his performances in the last campaign.

The England midfielder left City for Newcastle in a £5.8million deal in the summer but is yet to make his competitive debut for his new club due to injury.

Barton has been out since breaking a metatarsal in a pre-season friendly in July but played 45 minutes as Newcastle reserves drew 2-2 with his former club in Manchester last night.

The 25-year-old had some "playful banter" with fans when the Newcastle first team played at City last weekend and hopes he receives a good reception when he eventually returns to play.

"I hope they appreciate the job I did last season," Barton told BBC Radio Five Live.

City battled against relegation last term but, following the takeover of Thaksin Shinawatra, are now third in the Barclays Premier League under new manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

"Were it not for myself, Micah Richards and Richard Dunne the club wouldn't have had Shinawatra, the Premier League and Sven.

"I think they could easily have gone down last season but for a couple of results."

Newcastle were beaten 3-1 at the City of Manchester Stadium and remain in mid-table but Barton has no doubts he made the right move.

He feels Newcastle, following the takeover by Mike Ashley, can match his former club and has urged caution on the part of City fans.

"It is important they don't get too carried away with a couple of results," he added.

"Hopefully we'll get the kind of investment they got at Manchester City and get a similar result.

"I think Newcastle can be as big as they want to be. No disrespect to City but in Manchester, Manchester United will always be top dog. As much as they want to believe it, it is not going to be.

"The big thing about Newcastle is there is only Newcastle in Newcastle. Newcastle could be a big side and turn it from a big four into a big five."

Barton's immediate ambition is to get back on the field. He feels the Tottenham clash on October 22 is a far more realistic target than Everton this weekend.

Barton added Newcastle World TV: "Me and the manager have different ideas on when I'm fit because I just can't wait to get back playing.

"But I understand he doesn't want to take any risks and my next game will probably be for the reserves against Wigan next Monday.

"After that we've got two weeks when I can get some good work done on the training ground during the international break.

"But it was great to get back out there against Man City and get 45 minutes under my belt.

"The foot is still a little bit sore but the surgeon said that would be the case when I first started playing again.

"But hopefully when I do come back I'll bring some goals to the team and I just can't wait."