International matches

Scottish Mag

Whenever the international breaks pop up there are always the posts where people argue they would rather see Newcastle win a corner than England win etc. I was just wondering how many on here go to (or go to some) of their nations international matches.

I go to the Scotland matches and can honestly say the atmosphere is so much better than that at St James Park, what have people on here found the atmosphere at their nations matches to be like?

annoying. mostly due to the brass band and the number of total dickheads in the crowd.

I've been to the ones that England have played at SJP over the last few years.

The Albania game in September 2001 (WC 2002 qualifier), I was up in level 7 near some Chelsea fans who were utter pricks whinging about having to come so far to watch England.

The Azerbaijan game (WC 2006 qualifier) I was in the bottom tier of the Leazes, sat next to some Derby fans who were OK, but there were some pricks from Barnsley not too far away with a BNP flag.

Generally most people were OK, no problem, but I think the prick ratio is higher than watching NUFC (not that we don't have pricks ourselves).

And whether you're at the game, or watching on telly, the brass band are annoying.

I'm not against a band during the game as such, but I think they should have a more varied repetoire than a few short and constantly repeated excerpts of a limited number of tunes, and I also think that they should know how to play in tune.

I couldn't bring myself to going to any of the England games at SJP, as the thought of cheering on anyone there but NUFC just didn't seem right.

When I went to that England U21 against Italy at Wembley I have to say I felt quite alien to the folk around me. I couldn't even bring myself to sing the National Anthem (apart from the bit about keeping Scotland in their place, obviously <_<:blink: )

I've never been as for a long time I blindly followed England as everybody else did. As I became older, I realised which part of my heritage I'm actually proud of, and that's my Scottish heritage. Bugger England, and even France, they're all wankers.

That's probably why I've never been to a game, once I'm older and have a job, I'll go to one.

If I ever had any real interest, I'm pretty sure the ticket price would put me right off. I get on with the DIY in international breaks. I've watched the rugby though, totally different atmosphere I would imagine.

I didn't used to mind England but when I went to a couple of matches especially the Turkey one the fans totally put me off. That and the media hype.

Now I just tend to watch internationals with Newcastle players in (which doesn't include Owen as he has played so little he hardly seems like an NUFC player).

Since until 1996 we didn't have a professional league in my country (OK we did but there was no coverage and there was no team within 2000 miles of my home) I was forced to become primarily a fan of the National Team. Since then my loyalties currently lie with my hometown club, then the USA, then Newcastle, then whoever is playing Italy, then whoever is playing England.