Emre vows to fight

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE United’s Turkish ace Emre has vowed to fight his way into Sam Allardyce’s plans and says he is ready to face Everton on Sunday – should he get the call.

The former Inter Milan star played the full 90 minutes for Lee Clark’s second string last night at Manchester City and capped a polished performance with a wonderful free-kick.

There’s no doubt United could benefit from the flair Emre has to offer at the moment, but the diminutive Toon midfielder says he is willing to battle for his place in the side.

He said today: “My aim is to get in the first team.

“It has been a difficult four months for me because we have had a lot of good new players here who have been transferred to the club.

“I will work very hard in training and respect everyone. Everyone wants to play but only 11 can get on the pitch at one time.

“I respect all of the players and the manager but I will do my best to win a place in the team.”

Emre has been dogged by shin and ankle problems since the end of last season and has so far managed just three brief United appearances.

The player was caught up in controversy in his last game for Turkey when he gestured to the media after criticism in the Press and unfounded talk that he wanted to leave Newcastle to return to his old club Galatasaray.

But he will be back in the fold as the Turks face both Moldova and Greece in crunch qualifiers in the next round of international fixtures.

He added: “In terms of match fitness I have played two games with Turkey and three games here at Newcastle.

“Maybe two or three more games and I will be perfect. Training is good but games are different in terms of fitness.

“I want to play, all players want to play.

“In the last two years I played over 65 games and I want this year to be the same.

“I will try everything to be fit for Newcastle.”

Emre told Newcastle World: “I feel OK. Myself, Jose Enrique and Abdoulaye Faye have not played much in the last few weeks.

“For us last night was a good game. I have two days off and then I will be ready for the Everton game.”

Classic case of player improving in the eyes of supporters after a spell out the team iyam.

not really. more a case of the current midfield three creating jack shit all season. i'd like to see at least one player in the centre of the park that can pass the ball forward.

Classic case of player improving in the eyes of supporters after a spell out the team iyam.

not really. more a case of the current midfield three creating jack shit all season. i'd like to see at least one player in the centre of the park that can pass the ball forward.

So why do you want Emre in then? His forward passes normally go to the opposition.

So why do you want Emre in then? His forward passes normally go to the opposition.

at least he attempts the odd forward pass. why would you want to start smith butt and germi ahead of him when that midfield three have proven to be one of the slowest and least creative in the league?

at least he attempts the odd forward pass. why would you want to start smith butt and germi ahead of him when that midfield three have proven to be one of the slowest and least creative in the league?

I wouldn't. I'd play two of the three ahead of him with two wide men and when Barton is fit he'd be pushed even further down the pecking order. I rate him about as highly as you rate Smith.

Slight exaggeration there as his link up play and basic range of passing are pretty good, as his is ability to beat a man.

He does give the ball away at times, that's what happens when you try to make things happen whether it's dropping a ball over the top or trying a more adventurous pass to start an attack, Geremi is the opposite in that he doesn't give the ball away which is down to him passing it sideways or backwards most of the time, he played a good ball for Martins to score from against Man City but he doesn't try things like that nowhere near enough.

I'd throw Emre in against Everton to partner Butt in midfield with N'Zogbia on the left and Geremi on the right, a much more balanced side.

I wouldn't. I'd play two of the three ahead of him with two wide men and when Barton is fit he'd be pushed even further down the pecking order. I rate him about as highly as you rate Smith.

howay man alex, you clearly gone soft if you think smith offers more than emre in midfield.

i agree with your thinking when everyone's fit but surely, for the love of god, we have to put an end to the smith-geremi-butt axis. if that means using emre in the short term so be it.

Edited by Dr Gloom

howay man alex, you clearly gone soft if you think smith offers more than emre in midfield.

i agree with your thinking when everyone's fit but surely, for the love of god, we have to put an end to the smith-geremi-butt axis. if that means using emre in the short term so be it.

I just said I wouldn't play a midfield 3 numbnuts <_< I would probably go with N'Zogbia - Smith - Butt - Geremi at the minute, with Smith pushing on. I'd stick Barton in for Smith when he comes back and long-term I'd probably play Geremi alongside him with Milner on the right. Milner looks like he could do with being dropped at the minute.

Zog - Emre - Faye - Geremi

2 small creative left footers, 2 big physical africans, this is balance =) Oh and if Geremi can put in a few more passes like the one to Martins all the better.

The majority of Geremi's passing is completely shite.

Zog - Emre - Faye - Geremi

2 small creative left footers, 2 big physical africans, this is balance =) Oh and if Geremi can put in a few more passes like the one to Martins all the better.

The majority of Geremi's passing is completely shite.

and yet still better than smith's.

Guest Patrokles

Alex, you're probably my favourite internet person in the world, but if you don't start being nice to Emre, so help me God I will kill you.

Alex, you're probably my favourite internet person in the world, but if you don't start being nice to Emre, so help me God I will kill you.

:mellow: Ok, I hope he gets a game and proves me wrong, will that do? :lol:

SAM Allardyce has denied he is interested in selling Emre as he argued the Turkish international brought unique qualities to his squad.

Emre has consistently been linked with a return to Turkey with Galatasaray but, having insisted last week that he wanted to stay at ~ St James’s Park, Allardyce has responded by declaring the former Inter Milan star is very much part of his plans.

The Magpies boss has been unable to select Emre on a regular basis so far this campaign because of the player’s persistent niggling injuries, but he is keen to utilise the 27-year-old once he has regained full match fitness. United have struggled to create chances for their strikers in recent weeks and Allardyce is confident that Emre can add a little flair to his midfield when it comes to breaking down well-drilled Premier League defences.

“In many ways, Emre is unique for us at the moment because of his passing ability and the way he can unlock the back door in teams,” explained Allardyce, who saw Emre score for the reserves against Manchester City on Tuesday night as he builds up his fitness. “We will need a player who can do that at times. He has a fantastic eye for a pass and he is also left-footed, which is something different again.

“He is not the same type of player as the other midfielders and he can definitely bring something extra when he is fully fit. It’s just a case of getting him fit and keeping him fit.”

Allardyce’s current midfield trio of Geremi, Alan Smith and Nicky Butt are all similar players in terms of style, but Emre’s return, as well as the planned comebacks of Joey Barton and – further down the line – Damien Duff, will give Allardyce some much-needed variety in that department.

And although Newcastle do have competition for places this season at St James’s Park, Allardyce also admitted his squad does not have the strength in depth to consider losing Emre when the transfer window re-opens in January.

He added: “I’ve not got a large enough squad to be thinking about losing any players and I do not want to sell Emre. The squad is just about big enough this season, but I will not be looking to lose anyone.

“Emre’s problems have been injuries. He had an injury at the start of the season, went away on international duty and came back with another little problem which has taken longer than we expected to clear up. He’s just getting back involved, but he will be going away on international duty again next week. I just hope, this time, he doesn’t come back injured again. We want to have him fit and available because he adds something different to the squad when he is fit.”

Emre also appears to be content with life under Allardyce as he pushes for a first league start of the season following a 90-minute run for the second string on Tuesday. The midfielder is likely to have to make do with a place on the bench against Everton because he is still short of full fitness, but a player dubbed the “Turkish David Beckham” when he signed for the Magpies two years ago, is willing to be patient.

He said: “In terms of match fitness I have played two games with Turkey and two games here at Newcastle. Maybe two or three more games and I will be perfect. Training is good, but games are different in terms of fitness.

“I want to play, all players want to play. In the last two years I played over 65 games, and I want this year to be the same. My aim is to get in the first team. It has been a difficult four months for me, because we have had a lot of good new players here who have been transferred to the club. I will work very hard in training and respect everyone.

“ Everyone wants to play, but only 11 can get on the pitch at one time. I respect all of the players and the manager, but I will do my best to win a place in the team.”

sounds like big sam might actually fancy playing him and the reason he hasn't is because of his lack of fitness....thank fuck for that. i was starting to worry that big sam fancied the idea of playing smith, geremi and butt in the centre of our midfield all season.

Guest Patrokles

:mellow: Ok, I hope he gets a game and proves me wrong, will that do? :lol:

Thank you.

sounds like big sam might actually fancy playing him and the reason he hasn't is because of his lack of fitness....thank fuck for that. i was starting to worry that big sam fancied the idea of playing smith, geremi and butt in the centre of our midfield all season.

Aye, he probably fancies starting Barton and Enrique at some point too. Had that crossed your mind? :lol: