Home Recording Gear

Tom

Obviously not a thread for all!

But myself and my housemates are looking into getting some home recording gear to record guitar,bass, drums, vocals and some queer fucking organ thing with a synthesizer on it,

I think our budget is about £450,

Looking for something editable on a PC preferably (for the hollywood shizz :lol:)

Hmm its looking like no! :lol:

I think we may be looking for something a bit more basic,

like a flexible 8 track or something with software etc...

PC System Requirements:

* Microsoft Windows XP SP1

* FireWire port

* 1.6Ghz or higher processor

* 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)

* Minimum screen resolution of 1024x768

Actually ive got that easy :lol:

Slightly off topic but.....I tried cubase and found it completely useless due to latency.

When I first set up Reason I had a similar problem with latency, it turned out to be something easy to fix, some setting or other...

Sorry, that's probably not much help. :lol:

Obviously not a thread for all!

But myself and my housemates are looking into getting some home recording gear to record guitar,bass, drums, vocals and some queer fucking organ thing with a synthesizer on it,

I think our budget is about £450,

Looking for something editable on a PC preferably (for the hollywood shizz :lol:)

Tom? tom? tom?

What you want is a portable recorder and the an edit/mixing suite on your computer, that way when you future girl/boy friend's best friend's dad let you all camp out in his highland's castle you can take a guitar or two and you can record your very own drug fuelled classic!

Something like this little number which you can buy from Dawsons for £190 (records to flash card) or with internal hard disk for £270.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/mu...s/mr8_mk2.shtml

Then a copy of Steinberg Cubase Studio 4 for £250 so you can have the whole hollywood shizz :mellow:

Or you could go all oldskool!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tascam-38-reel-to-re...1QQcmdZViewItem

And don't forget to buy one of these for the cheapest tube preamp you will ever buy (go to ebay.com as they are even cheaper in the states and easy to buy a new UK powere supply). Oh and you want to change the tube to a decent brand tube.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PRESONUS-TUBEPRE-MIC...1QQcmdZViewItem

Actually if you can get this you are even better off especially if you can get it for under £100.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ADA-MP1-mark-1-midi-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by sammynb

Yeh Had a look at the Fostex Here

But im not sure how it would record the drums with two mic inputs only,

Theres a deal here that looks ok, and we could invest in some mic stands and stuff later + drum mics

were arent to sure of the quality though,

we are looking at at very least melvins quality sound :lol:

Guest Patrokles

Forget the budget and spend big on building yourself a powerful PC dedicated to music and firewire interface and some decent monitors. It's a very worthwhile investment if you really want to be serious about things. Plus, I'm not advocating piracy here, but with a PC-based setup then you can get hold of thousands and thousands of pounds worth of software for nowt.

Yeh Had a look at the Fostex Here

But im not sure how it would record the drums with two mic inputs only,

Theres a deal here that looks ok, and we could invest in some mic stands and stuff later + drum mics

were arent to sure of the quality though,

we are looking at at very least melvins quality sound :lol:

Who are you Def Leopard?

You use a mixer to go from how ever many mics you need, the jesus and mary chain only need one by the way, into two recording channels. Kids today I don't know.

The melvins, fucking hell Tom you only need one of these to reach that level:

recorder.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

get a decent firewire interface like a motu 828 (don't go usb its not got guaranteed bandwidth into the cpu and memory and uses more system resources).

(about £350)

get a cheapy sequencer ( i use cockos reaper for recording audio (its free and you can multitrack easily)) or you could use audacity (which is free for purely audio related recording). i've used cubase and sonar and pro tools and logic and reaper is the best value for money by a mile. i'd use cubase again though as its quite easy for me to use...

Get some sm-57's for toms/ hats/ cymbals. get a kick drum mic. get a decent large diapraghm condenser for general purpose recording ( i realise this will go over your budget but you have to live a little!)....

the 828 works well with guitars/ synths/mics and has very good sound quality, it can also function as a mixer .

Clicky & Clicky

£246. Ish.

We are going to get a separate mixer for the drums and then record them mono.

For fuck sake Tom, we told you that weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also mate don't record it mono, go stereo just so you can mix it better, it's not like your Hendrix and you can get away with it :unsure:

Clicky & Clicky

£246. Ish.

We are going to get a separate mixer for the drums and then record them mono.

For fuck sake Tom, we told you that weeks ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also mate don't record it mono, go stereo just so you can mix it better, it's not like your Hendrix and you can get away with it :unsure:

Hendrix didn't play drums though ;)

I think we are just doing the drums mono.

If not we could just record them a few times and bounce the tracks.

The bass is DI with some kind of COSM simulator for different amps and cabs. Just as well as the only bass amp we have is shite.

Get the Multi tracker and mixer on Saturday + Headphones and A mic.

Getting a Shure SM57 and some drum mics soon :lol:

If you're interested there is a guy here on ebay that is selling shure beta series mics cheap.

Also Tom did you ever buy one of those morrison pedals?