Damien can be a force again at United

Scottish Mag

DAMIEN Duff has become Newcastle United’s forgotten man because of injury, but the Irishman is keen to prove a point in his second season at St James’s Park.

Duff has not featured for the Magpies since he picked up a nasty foot injury in the 2-1 defeat at Portsmouth in April and has been largely overlooked when it comes to discussing Newcastle’s objectives this season.

But the winger is gradually edging closer to a return to action and his international and club team-mate Shay Given has revealed he is desperate to rebuild his reputation after a largely frustrating and ineffectual first season on Tyneside following a £5m move from Chelsea last summer.

Duff was widely regarded as the best of former manager Glenn Roeder’s signings, but a series of niggling injuries led to a worrying loss of form for the 28-year-old, something Given believes is inspiring his colleague.

“Damien feels he has a point to prove,” said Given, who was speaking at an event to show his support for the Gateshead Crossroads Young Carer’s group, which offers support to young people who care for relatives with cancer or other serious illnesses.

“He admits that people haven’t seen the best of him at Newcastle because of fitness and injuries and he wants to put things right. He wants Newcastle supporters to see the real Damien Duff and that’s a quality player who can be one of the best wide players in the division.

“Damien has been forgotten about a little bit because he has been out injured for so long, but when we signed him I thought he was a magnificent signing and he will feel like that again when he gets back to full fitness.”

Given was thrilled when Duff decided to turn down offers from Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool to sign for the Magpies last year and he does not see any reason why he cannot rediscover the form that once made him one of the most feared wingers in the top flight. And having seen Nicky Butt re-ignite his United career after a poor first season at the club, supporters will also hope the former Blackburn Rovers star will be able recapture his best form after so long on the sidelines.

Given added: “I was over the moon when we got him because I know what a good player he is because I’ve played with him for a long time with Ireland, I don’t see why he can’t get back to that level again.

“He has a bad injury and he is working extremely hard to get back as quickly as possible and it will be a huge boost to the team when he does.

“I know he is desperate to get back on to the pitch. He is extremely frustrated at the moment because he wants to play again and he hopes to be fitter and stronger than ever.” United’s midfield has looked short of creative spark and pace in recent weeks, but Given is confident the return of Duff, along with England international midfielder Joey Barton, will add that to Allardyce’s armoury. Barton is still hoping to be on the substitutes’ bench against Everton at the weekend – even though Allardyce has suggested he will not be ready for the first team until the start of November – and Given is looking forward to seeing the former Manchester City midfielder in action in the Premier League.

He said: “Joey was a very good player at Manchester City and he was a very good signing for us, but obviously we haven’t see him so far because of the injury in pre-season. He hasn’t really been training with us, but I’m sure when he does join in, it will be like another new signing.

“It’ll be his first game for the club really because friendlies don’t count and we know he has got some good qualities. He’s willing to give his all for the team and his tenacity in midfield will be a great asset.”

When we signed Damien Duff he was a magnificent signing and he will feel like that again when he gets back to full fitness

Good news though and I think he suffered from a combination of injuries and playing in a poor side / under a poor manager last season. We're very short of cover down the left too.

i wonder how this 4-3-3 would get on

-------------------------given

beye-----rozehnal-----------cacapa---------enrique

-----------------------geremi

----------barton----------------n'zogbia

martins---------------viduka------------------duff

Looks class to me!

I don't think we're suited to 4-3-3. Mainly because the man in the middle of the front 3 needs to be (ideally) big, powerful and mobile. Viduka isn't mobile and he doesn't always make the most of the strength, to put it mildly.

Guest Patrokles
I don't think we're suited to 4-3-3. Mainly because the man in the middle of the front 3 needs to be (ideally) big, powerful and mobile. Viduka isn't mobile and he doesn't always make the most of the strength, to put it mildly.

Drogba FTT

step forward shola

Guest Patrokles
Don't understand how some people like Duff better than Emre, btw, based on Newcastle form.

Maybe because it's not?

Then it makes even less sense?

Don't understand how some people like Duff better than Emre, btw, based on Newcastle form.

Maybe because it's not?

Both have been pretty disappointing so far. I had high hopes for the pair of them.

Guest Patrokles

Maybe because it's not?

Both have been pretty disappointing so far. I had high hopes for the pair of them.

Agreed. However, both of their newcastle careers have been under the jurisdiction of Souness or Roeder, who we know inspired very little confidence in their players, or had the tactical nous to really shape a team.

Good news though and I think he suffered from a combination of injuries and playing in a poor side / under a poor manager last season. We're very short of cover down the left too.

I'm still not sure the management had anything to do with it.

He came in having hardly played for a long while (he wasn't playing much at Chelski before we got him), he never really got enough match practice, before being injured and then it was just a case of just getting back from injury and getting injured again pretty much all season long.

If he can be got fit and then get enough matches to get his sharpness back, then I don't see why he couldn't recapture his old form.

I'm still not sure the management had anything to do with it.

He came in having hardly played for a long while (he wasn't playing much at Chelski before we got him), he never really got enough match practice, before being injured and then it was just a case of just getting back from injury and getting injured again pretty much all season long.

If he can be got fit and then get enough matches to get his sharpness back, then I don't see why he couldn't recapture his old form.

Aye, quite possibly an excuse as I used to rate him so highly before he came here. Wishful thinking perhaps. And he's been pretty poor even taking the injuries into consideration.

Edited by alex

I just remember him playing one game brilliantly for Ireland - even getting past players. Then he was playing for Newcastle a couple of days later and being totally rubbish again. For me it was not so much a question of his injuries but rather why he couldn't be as motivated when playing for Newcastle.

I just remember him playing one game brilliantly for Ireland - even getting past players. Then he was playing for Newcastle a couple of days later and being totally rubbish again. For me it was not so much a question of his injuries but rather why he couldn't be as motivated when playing for Newcastle.

Aye, that's a good point actually.

Maybe because it's not?

People being familiar with Duff's excellent performances in the Premier League with other teams but not with Emre's seems pretty plausible to me.

I want to see both of them perform under a decent manager before I jump to any conclusions.

Strangely missing our best player out of that team :lol:

You're surely not meaning Owen? Maybe it's because he's crocked again.

By the way, why is it "a good point" when someone mentions Duff's never seemed motivated to play for Newcastle, but absolute rubbish when I say Owen's never seemed motivated either? Tbh they seem to be two sides of the same coin - both good for other teams, both came here for the money, both perenially injured and lacking in form.

By the way, why is it "a good point" when someone mentions Duff's never seemed motivated to play for Newcastle, but absolute rubbish when I say Owen's never seemed motivated either? Tbh they seem to be two sides of the same coin - both good for other teams, both came here for the money, both perenially injured and lacking in form.

Owen is likely to be fit before Duff, so that point doesn't really work.

Owen is likely to be fit before Duff, so that point doesn't really work.

And then injured again before Duff gets back. :mellow: