Is Shearer still an integral part of the team?

ChocChip

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thankyou for fixing this whoever did it.

OK, i voted no because i don't think he offers enough to the team and he's going to get worse not better.

Forwards are often the more creative players with the better ball control and flair, he has possibly the least of most of all our outfield players. He holds it up well but he can't turn with it and lay off a great pass like Bergkamp. Heading the ball is not being creative. He has no pace, fair enough, but i think he's unfit too. Bergkamp, Parlour, Hasslebaink to name a few all have better lungs. Just because you slow doesn't mean your stamina should be poor.

There's no point getting players to accomadate his style of play because he'll stop playing soon.

I think now that Owen's here (a goalscorer) we should pretty much drop Shearer and either try Ameobi (i'd like to see him dropping deep, getting the ball and running with it and then passing it, he can't cut it as a frontline striker) or Luque. If Shearer continues to play it will be favouritism and not signs of a meritocracy, it'll be a Geordie thing.

If he was black or foreign he would have been booed off and sold time ago.

OK, i voted no because i don't think he offers enough to the team and he's going to get worse not better.

Forwards are often the more creative players with the better ball control and flair, he has possibly the least of most of all our outfield players. He holds it up well but he can't turn with it and lay off a great pass like Bergkamp. Heading the ball is not being creative. He has no pace, fair enough, but i think he's unfit too. Bergkamp, Parlour, Hasslebaink to name a few all have better lungs. Just because you slow doesn't mean your stamina should be poor.

There's no point getting players to accomadate his style of play because he'll stop playing soon.

I think now that Owen's here (a goalscorer) we should pretty much drop Shearer and either try Ameobi (i'd like to see him dropping deep, getting the ball and running with it and then passing it, he can't cut it as a frontline striker) or Luque. If Shearer continues to play it will be favouritism and not signs of a meritocracy, it'll be a Geordie thing.

32100[/snapback]

Any player, black or foreign who had done for the club what Shearer has done would get the amount of adulation Big Al gets. Also, if you think Shearer has the worst ball control of our players you are about as worng as you can be. I agree with your points about his legs being gone though, I've been saying it for a while. On Saturday, he had to play because of the lack of options. We'll only know if Souness agrees with us about him not being intergral to the team once everyone is fit.

Yes

If you play balls to him, he is one of the best players in the Prem for distributing the ball to the wings and then going foward, unfortunatley he hasnt had much help so far this season on the wings.

When Luque, Emre & Dyer come back you shall see a change.

/Edit Ive just fully read your post, cock tbh, total cock, but your allowed your opinion.

Edited by wykikitoon

32100[/snapback]

Any player, black or foreign who had done for the club what Shearer has done would get the amount of adulation Big Al gets. Also, if you think Shearer has the worst ball control of our players you are about as worng as you can be. I agree with your points about his legs being gone though, I've been saying it for a while. On Saturday, he had to play because of the lack of options. We'll only know if Souness agrees with us about him not being intergral to the team once everyone is fit.

32102[/snapback]

Nothing wrong for being praised for what you've done but it shouldn't be used to decide if your good enough now, which it is imo. Also i'm asking if he should be integral to the team, obvioulsy you've got to play him if every other option is suspended or injured.

His ball control is cack and has been for a while, remember seeing run along the touchline with a defender alongside, Al hoping for a challenge and the ball just runs out of play? I do. He's not a technical player.

Nothing wrong for being praised for what you've done but it shouldn't be used to decide if your good enough now, which it is imo. Also i'm asking if he should be integral to the team, obvioulsy you've got to play him if every other option is suspended or injured.

His ball control is cack and has been for a while, remember seeing run along the touchline with a defender alongside, Al hoping for a challenge and the ball just runs out of play? I do. He's not a technical player.

32112[/snapback]

Shearer is one of the best ball controllers and crosser of the ball we have! He has been for a while, I think your mixing him up with Ameobi whos first touch goes 50mile away!!!

And you want him in?!? Man what glue have you been on as I need some!

Edited by wykikitoon

32100[/snapback]

32102[/snapback]

32112[/snapback]

He's technically superb IMO.

Yes

If you play balls to him, he is one of the best players in the Prem for distributing the ball to the wings and then going foward, unfortunatley he hasnt had much help so far this season on the wings.

When Luque, Emre & Dyer come back you shall see a change.

/Edit Ive just fully read your post, cock tbh, total cock, but your allowed your opinion.

32107[/snapback]

I'm allowed my opinion and your allowed yours.

However i think Shearer slows the game down, he can lay if off if he gets it and a defender doesn't get there first (which i think is likely), however i don't think your right about him going forward, he's too slow/unfit.

Which top 6 team do you think he'd get into?

Chelsea?

Arsenal?

Man U?

Liverpool?

Spurs?

Not even Charlton.

32100[/snapback]

32102[/snapback]

32112[/snapback]

He's technically superb IMO.

32115[/snapback]

What at?

Players i think are technially superb (a few of):

Robben, Wright-Phillips, Henry, Reyes, Bergkamp, Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, Giggs, Lua Lua (dreadful decisions though).

Others who aren't technically IMO superb bet better than Shearer:

Drogba, Owen, Gudjonsson, Duff, van Nistleroy, even Yakubu can do more with the ball.

Shearer was a great finisher, not a creator for other people, now i don't think he's good at that anymore.

32102[/snapback]

True, look at the reception Sir Les still gets. But there is a sizeable element who always seem quicker to get on a black/foreign players back when they first start or go through a bad patch.

Shearer was finished when Bobby first came too. The first thing he told him was that he was spending too much time with his back to goal for a striker, later he brought Bellamy in to do the running for him. Souness has done well to undo that and wouldn't have the tactical nous to see what Bobby saw. Owen and a decent manager and Shearer has a season left in him, and Shearer is technically adept, I'm at a loss to understand how anyone can think otherwise. I think his head's dropping as it was when Gullit was here though.

What at?

Players i think are technially superb (a few of):

Robben, Wright-Phillips, Henry, Reyes, Bergkamp, Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, Giggs, Lua Lua (dreadful decisions though).

Others who aren't technically IMO superb bet better than Shearer:

Drogba, Owen, Gudjonsson, Duff, van Nistleroy, even Yakubu can do more with the ball.

Shearer was a great finisher, not a creator for other people, now i don't think he's good at that anymore.

32124[/snapback]

Now I know your fishing :icon_lol::angry:

Go back to the Mackems page mate :angry:

He would walk into Charlton and Liverpool!

Chelsea would love him they would use him correctly with decent fit wingers.  Arsenal would use him well too!

*sigh* Your fishing aint you?

32122[/snapback]

Bro' i'm serious! I love NUFC, love it, love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it.

But....................there's no way Shearer would get a game ahead of Cisse, Morientes or even Twiggy Crouch man!

Charlton have got movement and finishing in Lisbie and Bent. He wouldn't start there because Curbishley's got more sense than to base your team around a 35 yr old has been.

Maybe Geordies identify with him so he's loved more, ok, makes sense. I don't though, i just watch whoevers wearing the shirt and decide if they're up to it, which he aint (IMO).

When i see a player like Kluivert who didn't play with enough commitment in my view yet still covered so much more ground and made more options available, get demonised as a fat bastard, i gotta wonder. The linesman runs more than Shearer!

Kluivert & Owen. Could've been good.

Shearer & Owen. Never been good.

He would walk into Charlton and Liverpool!

Chelsea would love him they would use him correctly with decent fit wingers.  Arsenal would use him well too!

*sigh* Your fishing aint you?

32122[/snapback]

Shearer at or even close to his best would get in practically any team in the world, but now he wouldn't get into Arse, manu, Chelsea, Liverpool team and people are mistaking what he was with what he is if they think otherwise.

However the comments about his technique are wrong, he's never been lacking in that area, its his legs that have gone, leaving no pace and little movement.

I understand people are still living in the past but for this season he can do a job for us. BUT Not for any longer, whilst we have this pace around him we can still use him whilst we get some sort of "replacement" for him.

32102[/snapback]

True, look at the reception Sir Les still gets. But there is a sizeable element who always seem quicker to get on a black/foreign players back when they first start or go through a bad patch.

Shearer was finished when Bobby first came too. The first thing he told him was that he was spending too much time with his back to goal for a striker, later he brought Bellamy in to do the running for him. Souness has done well to undo that and wouldn't have the tactical nous to see what Bobby saw. Owen and a decent manager and Shearer has a season left in him, and Shearer is technically adept, I'm at a loss to understand how anyone can think otherwise. I think his head's dropping as it was when Gullit was here though.

32125[/snapback]

Just to open this unfortunate point, players i read on here and hear demonised at the few away games i get or have gone to.

Ameobi

Kluivert

Faye

Bramble

Babayaro

Bernard (terrible positioning apparently but Elliots aint so bad!!!!!!)

Jenas

Dyer

Now Boumsong.

Not saying they were all good players, but are they really so much worse than some of the other crap who don't get the same amount of shit?

I understand people are still living in the past but for this season he can do a job for us.  BUT Not for any longer, whilst we have this pace around him we can still use him whilst we get some sort of "replacement" for him.

32139[/snapback]

He can do a job this season definitely, though ideally it would be playing alot less and coming of the bench at times as well.

Unfortunately despite Souness being the one who wanted him to stay on, Souness has made a team, style of play, formations/tactics and choice of personell that make it impossible for Shearer to be effective.

Under a different manager Shearer could have a very effective part to play now and then for us this season, under Souness he is going to end his career in a way not befitting such a legend, which is yet another reason for me to hate Souness, making the great Big Al look worse than shite at times.