Is Shearer still an integral part of the team?

ChocChip

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The talk of Shearer getting a game for Chelsea or Arsenal is laughable.

32213[/snapback]

What he said

I've voted yes and it's a sad state of affairs that he is

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very sad and very true.

Newcastle is still way behind London in a lot of ways, especially attitudes towards women and minorities.

32212[/snapback]

Just out of interest, ignoring the minorities comment, how are women in London so much better off?

32228[/snapback]

They're employed in places other than Greggs.

(joke)

32240[/snapback]

So, your bemoaning the lack of women's rights in Newcastle whilst joking about all the women in Newcastle working in Gregg's? Is it just me or is there a slight element of hypocrisy here?

Very sad and very true.

Newcastle is still way behind London in a lot of ways, especially attitudes towards women and minorities.

32212[/snapback]

Just out of interest, ignoring the minorities comment, how are women in London so much better off?

32228[/snapback]

(joke)

32240[/snapback]

So, your bemoaning the lack of women's rights in Newcastle whilst joking about all the women in Newcastle working in Gregg's? Is it just me or is there a slight element of hypocrisy here?

32265[/snapback]

He's a southerner masquerading as a Newcastle fan though. It's to be expected.

Very sad and very true.

32212[/snapback]

32228[/snapback]

(joke)

32240[/snapback]

32265[/snapback]

32281[/snapback]

Cock masquerading as a foreskin IMO.

Very sad and very true.

32212[/snapback]

32228[/snapback]

(joke)

32240[/snapback]

32265[/snapback]

32281[/snapback]

Who said you were insular. No way can it be true.

Very sad and very true.

32212[/snapback]

32228[/snapback]

(joke)

32240[/snapback]

32265[/snapback]

32281[/snapback]

Who said you were insular. No way can it be true.

32288[/snapback]

That's nothing. You should see how I treat women.

Cock masquerading as a foreskin IMO.

32284[/snapback]

Back to work weekend "geezer".

I bet you're looking forward to the upcoming stag weekend.

Legend.

32289[/snapback]

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, I'm sure it's funny though.

Theres a general bias against foreign players here, usually helped along by Anal Oliver and people of his mentality, such that the likes of Kluivert and Baba are "feigning injury and are lazy mercanaries" but english players are just injury prone if they miss games.

But there isn't a bias against black players if thats what's being implied.

32163[/snapback]

Glad someone else noticed his thinly veiled racist agenda.

Butt

O'Brien

Elliott

Carr

Milner

Bowyer

Robert

Shearer

Think you're trying to make too much of this to be honest.

32148[/snapback]

I know you were focusing on the black angle but all of these players are foreign and all but 2 are not Geordies. Which is certainly a sin in Oliver's book.

Seriously though how can you say Elliott has suffered anywhere near as badly as say Babayaro. The easiest example I could come up with would be Taylor versus Boumsong.

32196[/snapback]

Boumsong has been getting stick recently because he's been poor. Taylor was only poor on Saturday because he was out of position. I still fail to see how that has anything to do with the colour of his skin?

Yes, racism does exist in football, but to say black players are seen to be poorer players is just crazy. All Newcastle players get stick, especially Shearer. He's white, and from Newcastle. Go figure.

back to the matter at hand

No

Robson got a few more seasons out of him by setting up the team to play to his strengths and compensate for his weaknesses. He's (naturally) degenerated since then and even if Souness where to employ the same tactics and get the same players Shearer wouldnt be able to do what he did 3 years ago.

IMO, Shearer is the best and the worst thing that's happened to us in recent years.

Best:

Came at his prime

Scored tons of goals

Kept up the profile of the club

Gives 110% week in week out

Worst:

Bigger than the team

Can't be dropped (same trouble Sven now has with Beckham)

Keeps alive this outdated wish that 11 geordies trot out every week.

It isn't going to happen, nor should it. Was Peter Schmichael born in Manchester?

Boumsong has been getting stick recently because he's been poor. Taylor was only poor on Saturday because he was out of position. I still fail to see how that has anything to do with the colour of his skin?

Yes, racism does exist in football, but to say black players are seen to be poorer players is just crazy. All Newcastle players get stick, especially Shearer. He's white, and from Newcastle. Go figure.

32310[/snapback]

Boumsong got jumped on in some quarters as soon as he had a bad game, Taylor is a golden god who can do no wrong, again, in some quarters.

The problem here is that we both believe the same thing but to different extents. You believe there's racism in football and so do I. I just happen to think it's a noticable minority.

And yes if someone is prejudiced against someone because of the colour of their skin or where they are from they will give them less time to prove themselves. The same way that we sometimes let more charismatic or attractive people get away with things we wouldn't let others away with, it's human nature.

32310[/snapback]

Boumsong got jumped on in some quarters as soon as he had a bad game, Taylor is a golden god who can do no wrong, again, in some quarters.

The problem here is that we both believe the same thing but to different extents. You believe there's racism in football and so do I. I just happen to think it's a noticable minority.

And yes if someone is prejudiced against someone because of the colour of their skin or where they are from they will give them less time to prove themselves. The same way that we sometimes let more charismatic or attractive people get away with things we wouldn't let others away with, it's human nature.

32326[/snapback]

I'm sorry, I just don't agree with you that our black players get more stick than our white players (perhaps I should say foreign, and english?) for anything more than their talent.

Did O'Brien get stick because he was shite, or Irish? I'm lost :icon_lol:

Shearer's past it and it's sad for me to say this. To see him on the pitch being so slow and ineffective is pretty sad to see.

As a team, we've become too predictable to play against. We lob the ball up to Shearer hoping he can flick it on to someone or hold it up. The top teams in the Premiership rely on pace up front, running into spaces, getting behind players - but with Shearer, we can't do that. Every team knows how to play against us.

Every player has a sell by date - look at Arsenal, they've use Bergkamp sparingly, Giggs can't even get a game at Man U and he'd still in get in most Premiership teams and there's Keane too. Even though Everton are crap, they're still refusing to play Ferguson unless they're desperate. Sheringham is the only old timer left, but unlike Shearer, he's still mobile and can do a job if not used all the time.

In my opinion, he's a poor captain too. How many times have you seen him rallying up, encouraging and communicating with other players? Speed was the one that held the team together.

I don't blame Shearer though - Souness shouldn't have let it come to this.

32310[/snapback]

32326[/snapback]

I'm sorry, I just don't agree with you that our black players get more stick than our white players (perhaps I should say foreign, and english?) for anything more than their talent.

32334[/snapback]

So no one gives black/foreign players more of a hard time?

I think it is an absoloute disgrace to say Alan Shearer is not good enough anymore after what he has done for the club and the sacrafices he has made for the club!.

Alan Shearer = Big Al = Ledgend!

I think it is an absoloute disgrace to say Alan Shearer is not good enough anymore after what he has done for the club and the sacrafices he has made for the club!.

32403[/snapback]

Jesus wept.

Should we all lie and continue to say that he's great, never been better etc. then? We're having an honest discussion based on what anyone can see if they care to take their Alan Shearer glasses off. The bloke is finished. His legs have completely gone. I take no pleasure in pointing it out but it's a fact.

32403[/snapback]

Get yer boots on SuperMac!

32403[/snapback]

Jesus wept.

Should we all lie and continue to say that he's great, never been better etc. then? We're having an honest discussion based on what anyone can see if they care to take their Alan Shearer glasses off. The bloke is finished. His legs have completely gone. I take no pleasure in pointing it out but it's a fact.

32407[/snapback]

I'm afraid you're forgetting the golden rule soem toon fans shall forever live by. That is that any criticisim of Shearer no matter how constructive, well argued and indeed crrect it may be is a sin worthy of damnation! And these people will continue to metaphorically stick their fingers in their ears and go "La la la, I'm not listening" failing to separate the legend he is and ever will be with the player who is struggling badly now.

Thoug as i've said elsewhere any half decent manager, withthe pkayers we have and a concept of tactics and football could still make use of him this season. Souness will leave Shearer with an embrassment of a final season and for anybody who loves Shearer for his time here you have to want Souness out or Big Al could see his toon career end very sadly indeed.

32403[/snapback]

Jesus wept.

32407[/snapback]

I'm afraid you're forgetting the golden rule soem toon fans shall forever live by. That is that any criticisim of Shearer no matter how constructive, well argued and indeed crrect it may be is a sin worthy of damnation! And these people will continue to metaphorically stick their fingers in their ears and go "La la la, I'm not listening" failing to separate the legend he is and ever will be with the player who is struggling badly now.

Thoug as i've said elsewhere any half decent manager, withthe pkayers we have and a concept of tactics and football could still make use of him this season. Souness will leave Shearer with an embrassment of a final season and for anybody who loves Shearer for his time here you have to want Souness out or Big Al could see his toon career end very sadly indeed.

32411[/snapback]

Not even Arsene Wenger could save Shearer's season. He shouldn't be playing. We might as well erect a Shearer statue midway between the halfway line and the box and just try and bounce long balls off it into Owen's bath. He is that static.

32403[/snapback]

Jesus wept.

32407[/snapback]

32411[/snapback]

Not even Arsene Wenger could save Shearer's season. He shouldn't be playing. We might as well erect a Shearer statue midway between the halfway line and the box and just try and bounce long balls off it into Owen's bath. He is that static.

32413[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

I don't think its that bad yet, he is nearly finished thats beyond debate, but i think theres enough left there for some goals under a better manager and with a team playing with (shock horror) width, pace, creativity, passing, variation, confidence and the like.

Most of us know he's on his last legs, but people do forget the massive part our fuckwitt manager is playing in killing Shearer for good. I can see what's wrong with Shearer but give him one last shot playing now and then and coming off the bench at times in a team thats playing good attacking football with width and he'll show theres a little bit left yet.

I know some people are too unwilling to accept any slating of Shearer but people should also not go the whole way against him and ignore what Souness is doing to a legendary striker.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

32310[/snapback]

32326[/snapback]

32334[/snapback]

So no one gives black/foreign players more of a hard time?

32341[/snapback]

I must be completely missing the point here? What have I just been saying over the last two pages?

Are you actually claiming that because players are black, they're not liked as much by fans as white players? Is this a general rule or just a very small percentage, because it's not something I've really come across :angry:

I know racism exists in football, but I've not seen it in this form. Perhaps it's not something that has happened in the lower leagues, or maybe I just feel people are rated on their actually ability.

*confused*

I, personally, think Shearer is finished and should hang his boots up now. A striker should be scoring goals and not just employed on a football field to 'hold the ball up'.

I remember the two free kicks we had on the edge of their box (on our left) in the second half. Everyone, I'm sure, was expecting a typical Shearer strike on goal as the positions were perfect for him. Shearer took the first which cannoned into the wall - he didn't seem to have the strength to get it up over the wall. I can't recall who took the second, but it was the one where Carr's shot hit the bar. Anyway, that free kick position was, as I said, perfect for a classic Shearer shot at goal. I think he didn't have a shot at goal as the first one told him that he didn't have it in him to have a decent crack at it.

The problem we have is who takes his place?? Shola has been given enough opportunities but failed to deliver. Maybe playing with Owen will bring him on a level??

Shearer will always be a legend, but let's not allow our sentiments to obscure what seems fairly obvious. I believe Shearer knows it's time to finish but he has been forced, by circumstances, to hang on longer than he should.