Keep feet on the ground ace Zog told

Scottish Mag

SAM ALLARDYCE has warned Charles N’Zogbia to make sure he keeps his feet on the ground.

The young French midfielder has probably been Newcastle United’s best player this season along with new boy David Rozehnal, while Oba Martins and Steve Harper cannot be faulted.

And there is no doubt Allardyce is a big admirer of N’Zogbia and will turn a blind eye to the fact that, along with every other United player apart from Shay Given and Martins, he had a poor afternoon in Eastlands on Saturday.

N’Zogbia’s form this season has earned him a deserved international call-up by France at Under-21 level and the United midfielder hopes to be involved at home to Bosnia-Herzegovina a week tomorrow and in Romania four days later.

When I asked Allardyce today if he was pleased N’Zogbia was now making progress at international level, he replied: “Yes, but as long as that doesn’t affect him in the wrong way.

“That can happen to young men when all the other boys start talking to him about this, that and the other. All of a sudden, he’s disgruntled again.

“It can be a good thing, but it can also be a very destructive thing.

“You know, I saw a player play once for England, and now I think he’s now playing at Oldham Athletic. He’s called Michael Ricketts.

“It affected him that badly. He let himself get carried away by the situation, and his career ends up declining.”

N’Zogbia has had to stand in at left-back for most of his games this season while Jose Enrique has edged to full match fitness.

But the Spanish Under-21 international got in the full 90 minutes against Manchester City Reserves on Tuesday night, giving Allardyce the option of pushing N’Zogbia into his preferred midfield role or giving Emre his first start of the season in the Premier League.

And what price Joey Barton being on the bench on Sunday?

Meanwhile, Allardyce will take the opportunity to check on Everton as their UEFA Cup first round, second-leg tie with Metalist Kharkiv is going out live from Ukraine on Channel Five tonight.

When I asked Allardyce today if he was pleased N’Zogbia was now making progress at international level, he replied: “Yes, but as long as that doesn’t affect him in the wrong way.

:lol::mellow: