Banking on Cacapa return

Scottish Mag

SAM ALLARDYCE is banking on his Brazilian international Claudio Cacapa being ready to return to the Newcastle United side against Everton at St James’ Park on Sunday.

The former Lyon central defender missed out at the City of Manchester Stadium on Saturday and there is no doubt he was badly missed as the United defence fell apart in that 3-1 defeat.

The 31-year-old, who has taken out French citizenship, limped off late on against West Ham on September 23 with a groin injury and failed a fitness test in Manchester last Saturday morning.

The Hammers game was the last time Michael Owen wore the black-and-white shirt and, if the little striker does not make Sunday, then he will have been out of the United picture for exactly a month by the time Spurs come to St James’ Park on October 22.

And, bearing in mind the Owen situation, Allardyce told me very much tongue-in-cheek today: “Claudio has a groin injury but he doesn’t need a hernia operation.”

However, Big Sam was deadly serious when he added: “We gave Claudio a test on Saturday morning. He wasn’t ready.

“That, for me, was a big miss because he brings a huge amount of experience, as we’ve seen.

“The last time he played, we beat West Ham 3-1 and we didn’t see that type of defending from anybody against Manchester City.

“I think he’d have taken a grip of them with just Emile Mpenza up front. He’d have been able to read the situation much better, but it wasn’t to be.

“However, he should be OK for Everton.”

If Cacapa has suddenly emerged as a key United player, he is certainly being missed at Lyon, where he spent six successful years.

For since Cacapa left to join United in the summer Lyon have let the water in, never more so than in their 3-0 Champions League defeat at the hands of Rangers in France this week.

Meanwhile, Allardyce would love to pair Cacapa with fellow Brazilian international Edmilson, who is now nearing fitness at Barcelona following knee surgery.

The Chronicle revealed in the close season that Allardyce had made a secret trip to Barcelona to talk to the man who is expected to be the Brazilian Wold Cup captain in 2010 in South Africa.

This impressed Edmilson, and United went to the front of the queue for his services.

But if Allardyce does not get the backing from the United hierarchy he will lose out on the Barcelona defender to either Inter Milan or Seville.

Cacapa has looked class from the first moment he started here and hopefully will be a fixture in the team for a good while to come. Also like Woodgate i think he will improve the players alongside him in the back four.

I'm looking forward also to seeing Enrique get a few game sudner his belt and seeing Zog on the left wing in front of him where he can cause havoc.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Cacapa/Faye partnership with maybe Rozza in Butt's holding role as he's quick and is a good passer.

I think Rozenhal is a sweeper and would get found out in the middle of the park.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Cacapa/Faye partnership with maybe Rozza in Butt's holding role as he's quick and is a good passer.

I think Rozenhal is a sweeper and would get found out in the middle of the park.

What you mean like butt has in the last few games?

I think that role is sweeperish in it's nature just in front of the back four.

What you mean like butt has in the last few games?

I think that role is sweeperish in it's nature just in front of the back four.

Butt played well against West Ham imo. Either way, if you don't play Butt there, I see Faye and Geremi as better options. I just think Rozenhal's strength lies in reading the game from a deeper position. You'd probably find he wouldn't pass the ball as well as he's have less time on the ball too. I also like the look of Cacapa and him together at the back.

Cacapa and Abdoulaye Faye I'd like to see, with Rozehnal in defensive midfield.

Cacapa is an amazing defender.

This I would really like to see also. PSG fans have said that some of Roz's best performances came from DMC and I can really see this. He uses the ball so well for a defender, has two very good feet on him, and his composure in this position would be interesting to see. Cacapa and Faye would be a really physical no nonsense force to be reckoned with at the back =)

Cacapa and Abdoulaye Faye I'd like to see, with Rozehnal in defensive midfield.

Cacapa is an amazing defender.

This I would really like to see also. PSG fans have said that some of Roz's best performances came from DMC and I can really see this. He uses the ball so well for a defender, has two very good feet on him, and his composure in this position would be interesting to see. Cacapa and Faye would be a really physical no nonsense force to be reckoned with at the back =)

I think i saw an interview with him where he said he played alot of last season in midfield, so its certainly an option to consider sometime for Big Sam.

He looks class and the more he plays the more i suspect we will love havign him here, but as it stands Woodgate is still number one, i've never seen anything like when he was here at his best.

But like Woody, the effect Cacapa has on the rest of the back 4 and keeper is imense on top of his own outstanding performances!