Good Routers?

Ketsbaia

My laptop arrives tomorrow so i'm going to purchase a router so I can surf the net wirelessly :lol: I've only got one problem, I know fuck all about them. I know nothing about ADSL/networking etc. etc.

The only things i'll want to connect wirelessly to it would be my laptop and my XBox. Is there any decent, fairly cheap Routers that I can get to do this job?

Also, how on cocking earth do you set them up? I have my modem, which is currently connected to the wall and has an ethernet cable connecting it to the back of the PC. Would I need to connect it up Modem->Router->PC?

I'm seriously lost and don't want to hoy my money away on something that doesn't work.

Linksys or Netgear have been the best I've come across so far and I'd recommend either, instructions are thorough with both, easy to set up assuming your Laptop is wifi enabled.

you won't need the modem, if you buy a modem/router (most are these days) all you do is connect to your new router either via wifi or USB or ethernet to initially set it up with your broadband password and username, then search for your router wirelessly and connect to it, don't forget to use security with your router to stop others knicking your signal.

My laptop arrives tomorrow so i'm going to purchase a router so I can surf the net wirelessly :lol: I've only got one problem, I know fuck all about them. I know nothing about ADSL/networking etc. etc.

The only things i'll want to connect wirelessly to it would be my laptop and my XBox. Is there any decent, fairly cheap Routers that I can get to do this job?

Also, how on cocking earth do you set them up? I have my modem, which is currently connected to the wall and has an ethernet cable connecting it to the back of the PC. Would I need to connect it up Modem->Router->PC?

I'm seriously lost and don't want to hoy my money away on something that doesn't work.

A router will come with an instruction booklet y'know....

Mine even has a stetup wizard - so all you do is enter your isp username and password and off you go.

A router will come with an instruction booklet y'know....

Mine even has a stetup wizard - so all you do is enter your isp username and password and off you go.

Why should I trust instructions when i've got the all knowing Toontastic?