Teachers 'fear evolution lessons'

Fop

Paintings and inscriptions from hundreds of years later?

A convenient cave which proves it all?

Manuscripts written later which support a new movement?

The so called "eye witness" gospels were written at the very earliest 60 years after the supposed events. Its also indisputable that the four gospels were the work of an editorial committee which added and left bits out for political reasons.

I've said before I think the bloke did exist - the existence of the religion is evidence for that but that of course says nothing about what he is supposed to have said and done which is taken as "gospel" - supernatural events aside.

You seem to rise at Jimbo's use of "fairy tales" - can I ask what you think of the following?:

The human race being descended from 2 people wished into existence.

A world created in 6 days.

A worldwide flood.

A man being swallowed by a giant fish and living.

10 plagues being visited on a country.

A woman being turned into a pillar of salt.

All of the "miracles" of christ including the resurrection.

The graveyards of Jerusalem opening up and the dead walking on JC's death.

If these stories were intended to be metaphorical to teach morality (twisted in most cases) then the use of phrase "fairy tales" isn't that far off. If they were intended to be taken as fact (which I believe) then I think its fair to poke the obvious holes in them and condemn the book in that context.

BTW that last one about the "zombies" provides an illustration about the way theists minds work. In Hitchens book he recounts how he asked someone whether they believed specifically in that event. The reply was that "Historically" he could not believe it but as a Christian he did believe it - try and tell me thats the work of a rational mind.

wierd late night bump.

We live in 3 dimensions, but as I understand it,(and I dont).(well I do when It is being explained but I can never verbalise what I have heard in a cogent way) string theory posits we exist in 3 physical dimensions , time is the fourth dimension, and there are a further six dimensions we cannot see or comprehend but the tenth dimension contains oscilating strings of energy that are the basis of an infinite number of universes that exist outside of time and space and infact everything. The universe as we know it started when two infintesmaly thin yet unimaginably vast skins of energy collided causing the big bang. 90% of the universe consists of dark matter, which nobody has ever seen, bt we are pretty certain it is there, even if we dont know what it is.

This stuff fascinates me-I was listening to somebody recently talking about the square root of imaginay prime numbers and the similariety of their frequency to the nuclear signature of uranium, which was astonishing, but I imagine to some would be gobbldegook and pointless nonsense.

Its not that surprising that some come to the conclusion that there is a higher being of some nature. It isnt really a stupid idea. It is a lot easier to understand, and to many a lot more likely than us just being the popping out of nowhere due to a random unexplainable event billions of years ago.If I am honest I would not rule out superior intellegent life out there somewhere, existing in a state"beyond worldly comprehension" I am not worshipping the fuckers though, no matter what.

It annoys me that people feel the need to bow down and worship their god of choice, any god that demands worship is by defintion not worthy of it. The need to prove they are right and everybody else is going to hell, and the desire to force their truth onto the unbeleivers is abhorrent and dangerous.

However I dont think beleiving is irrational for a lot of people, I can see how it would make more sense than the alternatives. Mocking them acheives nothing, explaining is pointless, faith is blind.

On the bright side I cant see this country being ruled by the church, or by islam or jah rasafari or whatever again, we are pretty much over it,even if some random schools preach nonsense to a few potential tubthumpers. Chances are their parents would brainwash them anyway. In the long run reason will out. No need to take the piss of people who beleive, they dont really matter any more, in this country the argument is over.

Blimey,I dont know where that came from.............oh well back to the poker

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wierd late night bump.

We live in 3 dimensions, but as I understand it,(and I dont).(well I do when It is being explained but I can never verbalise what I have heard in a cogent way) string theory posits we exist in 3 physical dimensions , time is the fourth dimension, and there are a further six dimensions we cannot see or comprehend but the tenth dimension contains oscilating strings of energy that are the basis of an infinite number of universes that exist outside of time and space and infact everything. The universe as we know it started when two infintesmaly thin yet unimaginably vast skins of energy collided causing the big bang. 90% of the universe consists of dark matter, which nobody has ever seen, bt we are pretty certain it is there, even if we dont know what it is.

This stuff fascinates me-I was listening to somebody recently talking about the square root of imaginay prime numbers and the similariety of their frequency to the nuclear signature of uranium, which was astonishing, but I imagine to some would be gobbldegook and pointless nonsense.

Its not that surprising that some come to the conclusion that there is a higher being of some nature. It isnt really a stupid idea. It is a lot easier to understand, and to many a lot more likely than us just being the popping out of nowhere due to a random unexplainable event billions of years ago.If I am honest I would not rule out superior intellegent life out there somewhere, existing in a state"beyond worldly comprehension" I am not worshipping the fuckers though, no matter what.

It annoys me that people feel the need to bow down and worship their god of choice, any god that demands worship is by defintion not worthy of it. The need to prove they are right and everybody else is going to hell, and the desire to force their truth onto the unbeleivers is abhorrent and dangerous.

However I dont think beleiving is irrational for a lot of people, I can see how it would make more sense than the alternatives. Mocking them acheives nothing, explaining is pointless, faith is blind.

On the bright side I cant see this country being ruled by the church, or by islam or jah rasafari or whatever again, we are pretty much over it,even if some random schools preach nonsense to a few potential tubthumpers. Chances are their parents would brainwash them anyway. In the long run reason will out. No need to take the piss of people who beleive, they dont really matter any more, in this country the argument is over.

More please.

Also, how fucking soft are the games at that time? I can only assume everyone at the table waits for 72o and then open pushes. I will have to investigate.

wierd late night bump.

I've said a few times that I think its a very human trait to want to believe in something "more" however you want to put it and thats why I have no quarrel with any personal belief. What I do argue against is the way organised religion forms gangs which then demand things which affect other people including me.

I've also said that I find the indoctrination of children to be particularly loathsome, though again I accept its also very human.

I'm a great believer in asking questions - I think an up front teaching of "facts" in a school even in the face of ingrained points of view like creationism can only lead to more questions being asked which is why I would go against your inference that its not worth bothering with too much as they'll only be brainwashed at home anyway. Recent surveys suggest that religion as a whole is more and more being rejected by younger generations. I'm not naive enough to realise that has an element of general laziness as well as some enlightenment but its progress nevertheless.

Oooh Party!?

If I'm reading the story your stats are telling right, you could probably profit even more by seeing a few more flops, ~25% VPIP?

I'll be checking out the late night action on iPoker this evening then.

In the long run, it's what happens in between that gets sticky.

After all there's a very good argument for not fighting the Second World War and indeed opposing Communism from that point of view, the problem is it's not so nice to live like that till reason prevails (look at Burma).

The problem is it is all too easy for a minority of fanatics to gain power whilst the idle masses don't care and watch Big Brother, until it's too late anyway.

And I wouldn't say the argument is over, we're seriously regressing on the issue of Evolution, 1 in 10 now, I would doubt it would have been 1 in 50 in 1990 believed Evolution was bollocks and literally believed in creation stories. :unsure:

The problem is it is all too easy for a minority of fanatics to gain power

Thats whats happenned in America.

A lot more than just America, although in the US they aren't really a minority.