Owen Called Up to England For Match V Russia

wykikitoon

from BBC Webby

Injured Owen called up by England

Michael Owen is recovering well from groin surgery

Michael Owen has been included in England's squad to face Estonia and Russia in the Euro 2008 qualifiers, despite doubts over his fitness.

Newcastle striker Owen, 27, is still recovering from groin surgery and is currently sidelined.

But coach Steve McClaren has named him in a squad which also includes West Ham's fit-again striker Dean Ashton.

England face Estonia at Wembley on 13 October and Russia in Moscow four days later in two key qualifying clashes.

Chelsea's Frank Lampard is also included, despite missing recent games with a thigh injury.

Manchester United's Wayne Rooney is back in the squad after recovering from a broken foot, and he is expected to replace Wigan's Emile Heskey, who has suffered a similar injury.

McClaren said: "It's incredible Michael is fit. It looked an impossibility two or three weeks ago, but he has had the op, worked one-on-one with his physio and joins up again with Newcastle on Friday.

"Hopefully he will be fit to play for Newcastle on Sunday against Everton and then play in our two games.

"He says he is flying, feeling very very good. If Michael Owen is fit, Michael Owen will play."

McClaren has spoken to Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce and he has given the England striker the green light for the double header, where six points would see England virtually into next summer's finals.

Everton's in-form defender Joleon Lescott retains his place in the squad after being called up as replacement for Sol Campbell for the games against Israel and Russia - but the Portsmouth veteran is also included.

Russia coach Guus Hiddink has named his squad to face England, but Spartak Moscow Vladimir Bystrov is ruled out because of cruciate ligament damage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

England squad: Robinson (Tottenham), James (Portsmouth), Carson (Aston Villa), Richards (Manchester City), Brown (Manchester United), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Terry (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Campbell (Portsmouth), Neville (Everton), Shorey (Reading), Lescott (Everton), Bentley (Blackburn), Gerrard (Liverpool), Lampard (Chelsea), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Barry (Aston Villa), Downing (Middlesbrough), Young (Aston Villa), Smith (Newcastle), Owen (Newcastle), Crouch (Liverpool), Johnson (Everton), Defoe (Tottenham), Rooney (Manchester United), Ashton (West Ham).

Fucking joke tbh

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: If it does happen he can feck off IMO

If what happens - Mahoosive Sam drops Oba or Owen plays for England then is injured for us?

I can just see it now:

Plays the 2 games. Feels fine . 1st toon match back . Injured. Out until the the next England game,

Cynic?????

:lol:

Even if it does happen, don't worry, because he's never said he wants to leave Newcastle.

:lol: If it does happen he can feck off IMO

If what happens - Mahoosive Sam drops Oba or Owen plays for England then is injured for us?

Sorry, didnt type quick enough

If Owen gets injured after playing for England.

Where are Owen's fanboys now?

He doesn't care about us. How many times must I say it? He only wants to play for England and collect from us. He'll play 70 minutes of shite for us on Sunday, bugger off to England, and that'll be him out until the next qualifier, just like his previous appearances this season.

Here's a few more: he doesn't care about us. He doesn't care about us. He doesn't care about us. I hope it is beginning to penetrate your thick skulls.

He doesn't care about us. How many times must I say it? He only wants to play for England and collect from us. He'll play 70 minutes of shite for us on Sunday, bugger off to England, and that'll be him out until the next qualifier, just like his previous appearances this season.

Here's a few more: he doesn't care about us. He doesn't care about us. He doesn't care about us. I hope it is beginning to penetrate your thick skulls.

:lol: England's Michael Owen, doesn't care about us? :mellow:

tbf to the lad, I don't care about him.

Only a handful of the mercenaries that pass through our club ever really 'get it', and at the end of the day it's down to the manger(s) to make sure that they do get it or shove it up there arse and feck off. Culture of Gravytrain at the toon, I think BS can sort this, unless he's come along to be the fat controller. :P

Oh will you please just shut the fuck up you tedious prick.

And not that i'd want to go letting the facts and suchlike get in the way of slagging off Owen again, but the surgeon (and leadign expert on the injury) who operated on him and thus knows what she's talking about was interviewed and said the Everton game would probably be too early for him to play but the England games would be well within his timescale to play.

But heaven forbid Owen should listen to her, i mean what does she know!

And not that i'd want to go letting the facts and suchlike get in the way of slagging off Owen again, but the surgeon (and leadign expert on the injury) who operated on him and thus knows what she's talking about was interviewed and said the Everton game would probably be too early for him to play but the England games would be well within his timescale to play.

To be perfectly honest, while I can't fault the logic of that comment, the truth is you'd find an entirely different outcome if this was say, Man Ure. If those circumstances threatened to arise there it simply wouldnt be allowed and it would be crystal clear that the club had to come first. Under Ferguson, he would be withdrawn on the basis that he might sustain injury playing for England. And in the circumstances described (potentially his first full game back), you couldnt criticize that decision. You could be pissed off with it, but you couldn't actually criticize it.

At the end of the day, Owen is basically saying what goes and no matter how good he is as a player, that's not a good situation.

To be perfectly honest, while I can't fault the logic of that comment, the truth is you'd find an entirely different outcome if this was say, Man Ure. If those circumstances threatened to arise there it simply wouldnt be allowed and it would be crystal clear that the club had to come first. Under Ferguson, he would be withdrawn on the basis that he might sustain injury playing for England. And in the circumstances described (potentially his first full game back), you couldnt criticize that decision. You could be pissed off with it, but you couldn't actually criticize it.

At the end of the day, Owen is basically saying what goes and no matter how good he is as a player, that's not a good situation.

Does it though? the fact hes been named in the squad means MClaren has said hes playing, not Owen, the fact we appear to be allowing it means were daft enough.

I hate the fact that Englands Michael Owen puts international before us however I hate even more the fact the club let it happen.

WOO! High five! Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Spastic.

I know what you mean, in the club vs country contest its club 1st and country irrelivent for me on every singel decision and if it were me he wouldn't be playing. But if he's passed fit by the expert and he wants to play then there's no way you can really stop him without it causing bad feeling. However if Big Sam and his team in tandem with the expert advice decide that he can't make it for Evrton and isn't going to be 100% and therfore at risk, then they should tell England to shove it!

WOO! High five! Dat's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Spastic.

:mellow:

He's american, so he's a spaz not a spastic tbh! :lol:

The club should put a block on it, simple as and Owen couldn't complain in the slightest and if he does just show him his wage slips and his number of appearances

Amen to that, brother.

from .com...

Latest quotes from Mike Baldwin, England manager on you know who:

"I spoke to Sam Allardyce this morning (Friday). I've got a great relationship with Sam. Michael will be assessed by them, he will be assessed by our medical team and we will talk with the player.

"This isn't a decision that is taken lightly. There should be no risk to the player, but if Michael Owen is fit, it is our decision to play him.

"Ultimately it's the player that is the most important. We don't want to take risks. But the player wants to play for England. He wants to be fit, he's working hard to do that.

"He's had the operation and come through it well. He's been training one-on-one with his physio this week and now he's joined up with Newcastle. He says he's flying and feeling very good.

"Newcastle will assess him, hopefully he'll play on Sunday. If not he'll join up with us on Tuesday and be assessed in training and if Michael Owen is fit, Michael Owen will play."

From the official website, Sam Allardyce's slant on our number 10's condition:

"He has joined in training this morning and we are very pleased about that.

"He has been away for his one-on-one work with Mark Taylor, our head of Sports Science and Medicine.

"He has come through his first session with the lads this morning OK and, as long as there's no reaction, we'll ask him tomorrow morning how it is. If it's fine he'll join in again and should be fit to join the squad on Sunday, which is good news.

"But we have to bear in mind what Michael has been through recently and I'm always very protective for the future and I won't risk Michael Owen too early.

"Every player thinks they are fit to play when they return from injury, but sometimes as a manager you have to look a bit deeper and make that decision.

"It is nothing to do with Steve McClaren and England what I do with Michael Owen.

"It is what I think is the best for the football club and the team on Sunday, and Michael Owen all combined. I have never been one to ask somebody to play and risk being injured again.

"I take my medical staff's information, the highly-qualified staff I have got, and I take their recommendation.

"Unless I am really, really desperate - and I mean really desperate - I would not ask a player to go out there who I do not think is going to complete the game, or is going to make his condition worse than it already is.

"If he is fit, he is fit. If he plays on Sunday, then obviously he is fit to play for England then. "But I have to look at my position first and make sure if I am going to select him, he is 100 per cent able to do what I want him to do."

The bold bit is true, just a shame that it's nothing to do with NUFC what England decide to do with him either.

from .com...

"He has been away for his one-on-one work with Mark Taylor, our head of Sports Science and Medicine.

So at least this is confirmed now.

Edited by Isegrim

Could this be some other clause in his contract i.e. Michael Owen decides if he is fit to play for England and NUFC can't do a fucking thing about it?

I posted something on here a while ago where I put the question that it was possibly XXXL Sam who let it be known about the buy out clause in M.O's contract in an attempt to sell him, rather than have all this shit to deal with?? I guess we'll never know until books are written in years to come.

from .com...

So at least this is confirmed now.

I was right then! I remember ages ago saying i was convinced i'd read a sort of throwaway comment in the chroincle that mentioned Taylor being here, yet there was never any official mention of it. I'd started to think i'd imagined it. Good that he's here though and carrying on the work he did with Big Sam before.