Owen Called Up to England For Match V Russia

wykikitoon

To get fully fit. Owen needs games to be at his best as he's never sharp when he comes back from a spell on the sidelines. Are you saying he should stop him playing for England? If not, what are you saying?

I don't think it would be a bad idea for Allardyce to ask him to take the fortnight to get fully fit in training, rather than in 2 competitive games in 4 days.

Which is something Fifa prevents Allardyce from doing. I'd like to think McLaren would have the sense to use Owen sparingly though if he can.

Aye, well the number of times Ryan Giggs has sustained slight strains on the eve of a Wales game suggests there are ways around that.

I'd hoped Englands Michael Owen would suffer "a reaction" to his involvement yesterday because if these internationals prove to be close games I can see him figuring in the majority of both (if he lasts them). I can't see him then coming back on the Monday and getting 90 minutes for us against Spurs if it's his third game in just over a week.

Name an England player who's done that though. Anyway, my main point was to counter your 'blaming' Allardyce, although personally I don't see anyone as being at fault in this in any case.

Perhaps, I suppose Lampard is available to play for England after one game for Chelsea (though hopefully he won't if McClaren knows what he's doing). I'd just like to see Owen wrapped in cotton wool, but I can't blame the lad for wanting to play all the games he can. So it's up to Allardyce to look out for the interests of Newcastle. I'll guarantee he doesn't play the full 90 against Spurs for us.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno so long as he's used sparingly for England he should be ok, from what they say about his operation it's not like playing is really going to do too much unless it's a freak occurrence or something direct like Given's horrendous injury.

So long as he isn't further injured/injured again he should come back better for Newcastle after the international games.

To get fully fit. Owen needs games to be at his best as he's never sharp when he comes back from a spell on the sidelines. Are you saying he should stop him playing for England? If not, what are you saying?

I don't think it would be a bad idea for Allardyce to ask him to take the fortnight to get fully fit in training, rather than in 2 competitive games in 4 days.

Which is something Fifa prevents Allardyce from doing. I'd like to think McLaren would have the sense to use Owen sparingly though if he can.

Aye, well the number of times Ryan Giggs has sustained slight strains on the eve of a Wales game suggests there are ways around that.

That is exactly why the England set up has all the power now - too many clubs taking the piss too many times.

I'd hoped Englands Michael Owen would suffer "a reaction" to his involvement yesterday because if these internationals prove to be close games I can see him figuring in the majority of both (if he lasts them). I can't see him then coming back on the Monday and getting 90 minutes for us against Spurs if it's his third game in just over a week.

Name an England player who's done that though. Anyway, my main point was to counter your 'blaming' Allardyce, although personally I don't see anyone as being at fault in this in any case.

Perhaps, I suppose Lampard is available to play for England after one game for Chelsea (though hopefully he won't if McClaren knows what he's doing). I'd just like to see Owen wrapped in cotton wool, but I can't blame the lad for wanting to play all the games he can. So it's up to Allardyce to look out for the interests of Newcastle. I'll guarantee he doesn't play the full 90 against Spurs for us.

Perhaps? I'm spot on man dickheed! :razz:

He's in a cycle of getting 'fit' for a couple of games, being overused in a match/rushed into a match (principally for England as the Toon will use him sparingly) and then not being fit again in the aftermath. It should be relatively straightforward to state a case that he is not fully fit. That's down to those who safeguard the Toon's interests. The fact that England seem to think he is fit shouldnt fucking matter. The fact he's completely shafted after England performances means it's self-evident he isn't properly fit to play.

I don't blame Owen, I don't blame McClaren, I do think the Toon should have a more robust attitude over it all. There are ways and means.

Well I'm not an argumentative mong who'll just string out an argument for arguments sake so I thought I'd relate that I took your point.

Thanks for the magnanimous way you took it :D:D

By next Wednesday he'll have played more games for England than he has for the Toon since his arrival here (I think). It's bad luck and you can't blame anyone for the injuries, but something has to be done to make sure we stop the pattern. Sending him off for two England games in four days after just 15 minutes of first team action is exactly what leads to his unpopularity. Especially if/when he comes back knackered.

Well I'm not an argumentative mong who'll just string out an argument for arguments sake so I thought I'd relate that I took your point.

Thanks for the magnanimous way you took it :D:D

By next Wednesday he'll have played more games for England than he has for the Toon since his arrival here (I think). It's bad luck and you can't blame anyone for the injuries, but something has to be done to make sure we stop the pattern. Sending him off for two England games in four days after just 15 minutes of first team action is exactly what leads to his unpopularity. Especially if/when he comes back knackered.

I was joking btw.

I thought Owen himself summed it up pretty well after the match. He said if he just cared about England he wouldn't have declared himself fit to play 90 mins for NUFC a mere 8 days after a double operation having trained hard all week. If as the haters would have it he only thinks about England then he'd have missed our game so as not to risk any chance of getting a knock and then would have declared hismelf fit for England (as the surgeon had told him he would be)

He's always professional and wants to play for club and clearly country and he will do so when he considers himself fit and because of Fifa's rules and regulations there's nothing NUFC can do about it if they wanted to.

Personally i don't think he should play the whole of Englands first game as they should be more than capable of winning it, so either start him and take him off at half time or leave him on the bench most of the game. Well, personally i'd have him not playign for England in either game to be doubly sure, but he's fit and entitled to play unfortunately!

I was joking btw.

I know.

So was Bernard Manning. :razz:

I like HF :D

Somebody's got to!! :D

:D

Well At Least Allardyce is saying the right things...

Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has voiced concerns about Michael Owen's ability to play two England games in four days so soon after undergoing groin surgery.

The 27-year-old striker returned to score in Sunday's 3-2 win over Everton - only nine days after his operation.

England face Estonia on Saturday and Russia on 17 October and Allardyce said: "I don't know if two games in such a short space of time is right.

"It's not my decision but I will speak to England boss Steve McClaren."

Owen will be expected to play a key role in England's Euro 2008 qualifier against Estonia at Wembley on Saturday, plus next week's clash with Russia in Moscow.

But Allardyce added: "For me, it's about every match Newcastle play that he is available to be selected for.

"It has been a terrific recovery after an operation by one of the best surgeons in the world to have a repair of the stomach and an abductor muscle."

Owen's Newcastle team-mate Alan Smith will join up with the England squad this week, although Allardyce admitted he had a slight knee injury.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7033539.stm