Olympic cheat faces jail

Jimbo

Disgraced Track Superstar Facing Jail

Updated: 22:55, Friday October 05, 2007

Athletics superstar Marion Jones is set to be stripped of the record five Olympic golds she won in Sydney after admitting she took steroids.

The world-famous sprinter broke down in tears outside a US courtroom as she announced her retirement from "the sport I love" and asked for forgiveness from fans.

"(Denying drug use) was a lie, your honour, as I knew I had taken the substance," Jones told US District Judge Kenneth Karas in White Plains, just north of New York City.

Advertisement

She becomes the first athlete convicted in connection with an investigation into the notorious BALCO laboratory.

The San Francisco-based centre is the focal point of a doping scandal that has tarnished the reputations of top baseball, American football and athletics stars.

After years of publicly denying using performance-enhancing drugs, the 31-year-old admitted to it in a letter she sent to close family and friends, The Washington Post reported.

In the letter, Jones said she took the steroid known as "the clear" for two years beginning in 1999, but believed it to be flaxseed oil.

"I want to apologise to you all for all of this," Jones said in the letter, according to the Post.

"I am sorry for disappointing you all in so many ways."

She could face three to six months in jail, according to reports.

Jones was appearing at US District Court in White Plains, just north of New York City.

another drug fiend bites the dust

but this means that that greek lass "who fell of a motorbike" on her way to a drugs test in Athens will get the Sydney Gold...........

They should have the Olympics, the Special Olympics and the Super Hyper Mega Special Olympics where all the entrants who want to take drugs can race each other. Could be some real records made if they were allowed to do it. Maybe in the future when technology has advanced far enough we can have half human half robot Olympics. Well one can dream... :lol:

Didnt she get a world record? Would/Does that still count?

If she did, I'm pretty sure it gets discreditted. I might be wrong but I'm sure Ben Johnson 'won' the 100m at the '88 Olympics in a world record time.

I'm not sure whether its worse if she lied through her teeth for years or that as she said she took something her coach gave her which he told he was okay. A lot of other "cheats" have used the same excuse which if true says a lot about either how bright they are or how dodgy the relationship with their coach is where a "take this" is trusted without question.

Didnt she get a world record? Would/Does that still count?

If she did, I'm pretty sure it gets discreditted. I might be wrong but I'm sure Ben Johnson 'won' the 100m at the '88 Olympics in a world record time.

Tim Montgomery lost his record when he was found guilty. Isn't Jones his partner?

I'm not sure whether its worse if she lied through her teeth for years or that as she said she took something her coach gave her which he told he was okay. A lot of other "cheats" have used the same excuse which if true says a lot about either how bright they are or how dodgy the relationship with their coach is where a "take this" is trusted without question.

There has been a case recently in Germany where a young athlete (16 years then) got her coach sentenced because he gave her Andriol (Testosteron) saying it were vitamins. She didn't take it and and let the pills get checked secretly.

The thing is that the coach in question is Thomas Springstein who has a long track record of doping offences starting with the likes of Katrin Krabbe and Grit Breuer in the early 90s. So how and why any other athlete could "trust" this man is a serious question. Even worse imho are those parents who are sending their kids to these kind of coaches.

There has been a case recently in Germany where a young athlete (16 years then) got her coach sentenced because he gave her Andriol (Testosteron) saying it were vitamins. She didn't take it and and let the pills get checked secretly.

The thing is that the coach in question is Thomas Springstein who has a long track record of doping offences starting with the likes of Katrin Krabbe and Grit Breuer in the early 90s. So how and why any other athlete could "trust" this man is a serious question. Even worse imho are those parents who are sending their kids to these kind of coaches.

With a name like that he was born to run........

I'm waiting for the day when 'Dame' Kelly Holmes ownes up.

that was her first season of athletics without injuries... her and maria mutola were at it all that year winning each others races. and were allegedly seeing each other.

it will be good to see jones get fucked over. cheating cunt.

I'm not a big proponent of corporate rights, they can sue for damages if they like.

Anyway, can't she just counter-sue for getting them more exposure? :razz:

Didnt she get a world record?

She didn't - those (100m and 200m) remain effectively unbeatable and still belong to the biggest drug queen of them all, Flo-Jo...

Just jealous about those finger nails, eh. :razz:

Jail time seems a bit silly for something like this.

The possibility of jail time is for lying to federal investigators rather than taking the drugs.

That makes more sense. Still, a slap on the wrist I would hope.

She didn't - those (100m and 200m) remain effectively unbeatable and still belong to the biggest drug queen of them all, Flo-Jo...

Just jealous about those finger nails, eh. :D

:razz:

Just jealous about those finger nails, eh. :D

:razz:

mine are longer than hers tbh :D

that was her first season of athletics without injuries... her and maria mutola were at it all that year winning each others races. and were allegedly seeing each other.

That's the whole point. She had had career full of injuries yet here she was winning two gold medals in her 'autumnal' years beating the cream of the world????? Yeah, right!! Oh, and she retires soon afterwards yet being at the most marketable time of her life?? Yeah, right!! Quit before she was found out, more like.

That's the whole point. She had had career full of injuries yet here she was winning two gold medals in her 'autumnal' years beating the cream of the world????? Yeah, right!! Oh, and she retires soon afterwards yet being at the most marketable time of her life?? Yeah, right!! Quit before she was found out, more like.

Kelly Holmes a ledge Snakey, shame on you. If it was RobW talking that much shite I'd have let it slide :razz: