Newcastle United VS Everton FC

Tom

A crucial win against a uefa cup spot rival, so a job well done in the end!

2 years ago Emre scored a belting goal in a narrow 3-2 win at home. Difference was, that was against the Mackems who ended up bottom with the worst Premiership record ever.

Fairly indicative of how we've improved IMO. Everton are a bloody good side.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 years ago Emre scored a belting goal in a narrow 3-2 win at home. Difference was, that was against the Mackems who ended up bottom with the worst Premiership record ever.

Exactly, nobody is 100% happy with this season so far, but we're moving in the right direction and it will take a bit of time to take the shambles we were into a top team.

And to be fair to Everton they weren't the long ball playing bunch of cloggers they were, they tried to play some football and weren't dirty.

Mind you, despite both Everton and us not being dirty in the slightest, the complete prick in charge decided to stop the game every 10 seconds with imaginary freekicks and did his best to ruin it from start to finish.

Exactly, nobody is 100% happy with this season so far, but we're moving in the right direction and it will take a bit of time to take the shambles we were into a top team.

And to be fair to Everton they weren't the long ball playing bunch of cloggers they were, they tried to play some football and weren't dirty.

Mind you, despite both Everton and us not being dirty in the slightest, the complete prick in charge decided to stop the game every 10 seconds with imaginary freekicks and did his best to ruin it from start to finish.

Agree with you on that one. I don't think Smith should have got a yellow, from the stands it looked like two great challenges.

Edited by bawan

Agree with you on that one. I don't think Smith should have got a yellow, from the stands it looked like two great challenges.

I'd need to see the Smith one again to be fair, but to me it looked like he touched the ball and came in from an angle and not directly from behind. I've criticised him for the stupid bookings he picks up as its not good enough, but i thought he was unfairly booked today.

But its a miracle any football was played from either side with it being stopped all the bloody time!

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Not really ad hominem though. What I'm referring to is the loads of "fuck off" "you fucking idiot", etc etc without providing any kind of counter-argument. When Gemmill tells me I've no footballing knowledge, that's one thing, since he's providing evidence to support that statement. When I post and it's followed up by someone going "fuck off yank" who gives no indication he's read what I wrote, that's no good. What kind of forum is it when there's exactly one "correct" view and anything else is to be ridiculed? Forums are for discussion. If you disagree, go ahead and provide some facts, opinions, anything to show why what I'm saying is wrong, why I don't know what I'm on about, etc.

I don't care if everyone else thinks I'm wrong. I want them to prove it without referring to the guy behind the screen.

I don't think there's any point in arguing semantics. I found it ironic that you appealed for a higher level of debate and in the next sentence dragged it down to its lowest level.

There's way more than one "correct view" on here (or way less tbh), I suspect the reason that you believe that might have something to do with you projecting opinions that aren't theirs onto other people, like I'm pretty sure you did with me last week. You stopped responding when I asked for clarification.

Haven't read the thread yet, just wondering if acrossthepond has done his critique of Owen and Martins performances today yet? :razz:

Missed the game, my site wasn't carrying it for whatever ridiculous reason.

Getting a little sick of these ad hominem attacks tbh, boils down to "I don't like Owen, you lot don't like Martins", no need to go after me for it you load of wankers. Certain admins ought to be embarassed I think.

Not so much a go at you as pointing out that for me, today was a perfect case in point that Owen is everything Martins isn't. Martins was wasteful, messy and frustrating, Owen was sharp, effective and efficient.

Don't suppose anyone could upload or send me the goals? The site is down or something :D

On the whole Martins/Owen thing... I'd be ecstatic if Owen could stay fit for long periods, as he is without a doubt ten times the finisher Martins is.. however, I'd like to keep Martins as well and hopefully he can sort out that fucking first touch, and learn from Owen when it comes to finishing :l

I don't think you can learn what Martins is lacking (and I doubt we'd have got him if you could).

I wouldn't say he was :razz: mind, just that you never know which Martins you're going to get, the one that will miss an open goal or the one that scores a cracker.

Owen you'd always bet on to score (both in the sense of finishing and being just where he needs to be), just not so much whether he'll stay fit.

Don't suppose anyone could upload or send me the goals? The site is down or something :D

On the whole Martins/Owen thing... I'd be ecstatic if Owen could stay fit for long periods, as he is without a doubt ten times the finisher Martins is.. however, I'd like to keep Martins as well and hopefully he can sort out that fucking first touch, and learn from Owen when it comes to finishing :l

I don't think you can learn what Martins is lacking (and I doubt we'd have got him if you could).

I wouldn't say he was :razz: mind, just that you never know which Martins you're going to get, the one that will miss an open goal or the one that scores a cracker.

Owen you'd always bet on to score (both in the sense of finishing and being just where he needs to be), just not so much whether he'll stay fit.

Dont piss on my parade you bastard, im trying to justify buying a Martins shirt! :D

Just seen the Motd highlight... that was another very poor miss by Martins. Funny also even with the very short highlights you could tell starting Milner on the left and Zoggy on the right was costly and quite simply moronic

Just seen the Motd highlight... that was another very poor miss by Martins. Funny also even with the very short highlights you could tell starting Milner on the left and Zoggy on the right was costly and quite simply moronic

Square pegs in round holes.

TBF I think Owen coming on as a sub brings a lot more to the team unfortunately a player of his calibre would never be happy with the super sub role, especially at Newcastle.

That be said Martins is shite, everything from his control, crossing and general movement is average.

He just doesn't seem to have the intelligence.

Hopefully SA has a plan to bring in another striker in the jan window, Anelka might be a good shout if Bolton are looking in trouble.

And Smith, he might be a right pain in the arse but he's our pain in the arse and the way he chased down everything, putting his body on the line making a world of difference against one of the better defences in the league, on today's performance Viduka should have to earn his place back in the team with Smith getting an extended run up front.

Edited by sammynb

Martins is having a little bit of a bad patch at the moment. There's no need to jump on his back so easily.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lukoCA30CXk

That might shut you up for a while. We need to persist with him because on his day, he is pure class.

Its OK banging in screamers from 25 yards now and again but when you cant score 1 on 1 , fail to control the ball on numerous occasions & have poor vision then all the pace and movement in the world wont make up for it. I think Martins can be a decent impact player from the bench or a starter against poorer sides but when you play any of the top boys where chances will be limited then I would take Owen or Viduka over Martins any time

Watched the game on football first last night and came to the following conclusion

Thats our strongest back 4, good full backs (god its good to type that), power and areal ability of Faye and the experience & composure of Cacapa

Emre needs to play as he`s whats been lacking in midfield, drive, vision and quality. BS can make him a top offensive midfielder IMO

Smith offers a lot more up top than he does in midfield, some nice touches and good link play

Butt is our best holding midfielder

Milner runs a lot but offers very little

Martins needs to learn the basics and quick, he has missed so many easy chances over recent weeks and Owen should start when fit, Fact

also on a negative I reckon Shay isnt our in form keeper so Harper should get back in the team until he fucks up, which he hasnt done upto now

Great result!

YES, but not a great game. Pretty decent in the first half but didn't capitilize on the chances, second half was far from decent and I was beginning to think we were going to blow it, Thankfully the introduction of Emre and Owen seemed to give us a boost, maybe Emre could be the answer to our lack of creativity in the middle.

I had anticipated that with Enrique at the back and Zoggy in front of him we would see a formidable attacking left side but it didn't happen, couldn't fathom why Milner spent so much time on the left side.

I think Rozenhal and Cacapa are a better pairing, couldn't figure out why Rozy was on the bench.

It was good to see Pattison absent from the bench and hope it stays that way as I don't rate him.

Great result!

YES, but not a great game. Pretty decent in the first half but didn't capitilize on the chances, second half was far from decent and I was beginning to think we were going to blow it, Thankfully the introduction of Emre and Owen seemed to give us a boost, maybe Emre could be the answer to our lack of creativity in the middle.

I had anticipated that with Enrique at the back and Zoggy in front of him we would see a formidable attacking left side but it didn't happen, couldn't fathom why Milner spent so much time on the left side.

I think Rozenhal and Cacapa are a better pairing, couldn't figure out why Rozy was on the bench.

It was good to see Pattison absent from the bench and hope it stays that way as I don't rate him.

#

Rozy was on the bench as he hasnt been playing too well :razz:

Great result!

#

More likely the fact that there is a shiny new bairn in the Rozy house and he's had fuck all sleep for the last week.

Also tactically SA would have expected Everton to play a physical game and Faye is more likely to cope with it, although with yesterday's ref it didn't matter as he blew the whistle for everything.

Great result!

#

More likely the fact that there is a shiny new bairn in the Rozy house and he's had fuck all sleep for the last week.

Also tactically SA would have expected Everton to play a physical game and Faye is more likely to cope with it, although with yesterday's ref it didn't matter as he blew the whistle for everything.

He was at fault for Arsenals first goal and one of the city goals last week, he`s not on form and its nice to have options for a change. Cant see a way into the starting 11 for Taylor at the moment either

Thought we played some canny stuff (first half anyway) and it made a big difference players (notably Smith and N'Zogbia) playing in roles to which they are more suited. We actually had some decent options on the bench for once too and there's still some good players to come back from injury. I thought Smith did well. Great goal from Emre too. Enrique looks a good player too. He seems to have everything for a full-back.

smith looks twice the player up front than he does in midfield. much more like it from him.

emre injected some creativity into central midfield, took his goal well and should start the next game alongside either butt or geremi.

n'zogbia and enrique looked an encouraging prospect as a pair down our left flank.

nice to see we've got options in central defence too with faye looking assured. i'd actually have taylor as our 4th choice centre half on this season's form.

good performance after the city debacle and result going into the international break.