Owen: Don't tell me when to play, Sam

Jimbo

MICHAEL OWEN has told his Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce: Don’t tell me when I can play for England.

The Toon striker, 27, insists he will only listen to German surgeon Dr Ulrike Muschaweck who operated on his groin.

And in another stinging rebuke to the Geordies’ gaffer, Owen declared Allardyce got it wrong about when he got crocked. Allardyce claimed Owen picked it up playing for England last month — but the hitman insists he had it before then.

He said: “I’ll listen to the surgeon and not anyone else because she knows what she is talking about.

“Could I play against Estonia? I don’t see why not. The surgeon tells me nothing can go wrong in terms of the operation.

“I know the manager here said I did it in the last international matches but I was playing in pain even before them.”

Owen scored on his Toon return in the 3-2 win over Everton on Sunday just eight days after under-going surgery in Munich.

And he added: “I’ve been pushing myself through a lot of pain for about six weeks — even before the last two internationals.”

Now the ex-Liverpool and Real Madrid star has declared himself fit for the looming Euro 2008 qualifiers against Estonia and Russia.

But Big Sam has warned England boss Steve McClaren not to send his star back to St James’ injured again next week.

Upbeat Owen, though, cannot believe how well the surgery has gone.

He revealed: “It’s unbelievable. It feels great. It’s much stronger than when I went in.

“As long as you can manage the pain, it won’t get any worse. Thankfully now I can go out and not feel any pain. I’m available for both sides I represent.”

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MICHAEL OWEN has told his Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce: Don’t tell me when I can play for England.

The Toon striker, 27, insists he will only listen to German surgeon Dr Ulrike Muschaweck who operated on his groin.

And in another stinging rebuke to the Geordies’ gaffer, Owen declared Allardyce got it wrong about when he got crocked. Allardyce claimed Owen picked it up playing for England last month — but the hitman insists he had it before then.

He said: “I’ll listen to the surgeon and not anyone else because she knows what she is talking about.

“Could I play against Estonia? I don’t see why not. The surgeon tells me nothing can go wrong in terms of the operation.

“I know the manager here said I did it in the last international matches but I was playing in pain even before them.”

Owen scored on his Toon return in the 3-2 win over Everton on Sunday just eight days after under-going surgery in Munich.

And he added: “I’ve been pushing myself through a lot of pain for about six weeks — even before the last two internationals.”

Now the ex-Liverpool and Real Madrid star has declared himself fit for the looming Euro 2008 qualifiers against Estonia and Russia.

But Big Sam has warned England boss Steve McClaren not to send his star back to St James’ injured again next week.

Upbeat Owen, though, cannot believe how well the surgery has gone.

He revealed: “It’s unbelievable. It feels great. It’s much stronger than when I went in.

“As long as you can manage the pain, it won’t get any worse. Thankfully now I can go out and not feel any pain. I’m available for both sides I represent.”

I know he's better than Martins but what is the fucking point of this press release?

Twat.

The Sun making something out of nothing tbh - only their headline combined with the first line makes it look like a "stinging rebuke". Take one without the other and it's a player saying that he listens to the advice of his surgeon.

Btw Sammy, I doubt it was a press release. In England, we call them interviews. You answer questions that people ask you. :razz:

Btw Sammy, I doubt it was a press release. In England, we call them interviews. You answer questions that people ask you. :D

You think? But doesn't he have a column in the times?

Why would he give an interview to the Sun?

Scotty, I've got a day of conducting interviews this Thursday with a host of international automotive people for that magic talking box with pictures that sits in the corner of your living/lounge/sitting room, so I'm glad you explained what an interview is.

You twat :razz:

Btw Sammy, I doubt it was a press release. In England, we call them interviews. You answer questions that people ask you. :D

You think? But doesn't he have a column in the times?

Why would he give an interview to the Sun?

Scotty, I've got a day of conducting interviews this Thursday with a host of international automotive people for that magic talking box with pictures that sits in the corner of your living/lounge/sitting room, so I'm glad you explained what an interview is.

You twat :razz:

Because The Sun and The Times are owned by the same person?

Loads of bollocks really. Usual people trying to kick up shite about nothing. Of course he wants to play for England. I never understand what the problem is so long as he is playing for us as well. Course I dont want him injured playing for England but no different to not wanting Given or Milner injured playing internationals.

The quotes don't match the headline. I heard about this on the radio but it's actually just a re-hash of what he said post-match. Expect the divvies to go ballistic though over this though.

TalkSPORT are (typically) going over-the-top-tastic on this story :razz: They are claiming Owen was booed when he came on during the Everton game - something I couldn't hear for the cheers!! :D

A non-story really. Of course Owen wants to play for Engerlund and of course Allardyce wants him not to overdo it. Owen was fit enough for the Everton game so he, naturally, wants to be playing a part for Engerlund. I reckon Owen will start on the bench against Estonia (? One of the Baltic states, anyway) so he can play a later part in what should be a fairly easy win thus making him ready to start the game against the Russians.

The booing is moronic anyway, but looks to become a common theme nowadays. It serves no purpose apart from making people look like idiots. And isn't booing the decision to take Martins off for Owen in some way in fact a negative reaction to Owen (I guess the people booing and those cheering where two different set of fans).

Anyway, my main concern is Owen having to play on an artificial pitch. As modern as they may be nowadays, I'm still sceptical about their effects on muscles and ligaments especially to a somewhat injury prone player.

The booing is moronic anyway, but looks to become a common theme nowadays. It serves no purpose apart from making people look like idiots. And isn't booing the decision to take Martins off for Owen in some way in fact a negative reaction to Owen (I guess the people booing and those cheering where two different set of fans).

Anyway, my main concern is Owen having to play on an artificial pitch. As modern as they may be nowadays, I'm still sceptical about their effects on muscles and ligaments especially to a somewhat injury prone player.

Owen actually voiced concerns over the pitch / his knee a few months ago.

i couldnt work the booing out but it sounded like big sam was booed for taking martins off (i can't understand why martins would be booed) and then owen was cheered as he came on. there's no way either player was booed

they were saying boo-owens boo-owens.

And I think its a disgrace that we cannot stop him playing for another team, no matter who they are. Would we let him run out for his pub team just because they were about to qualify for the LCL Trophy? Would we shite. I think we should have total control over all his activities, including when he gets to sleep with his missus, the frequency and volume of his stools, blinks per minute and ejaculatory output.

I mean after all aren't WE paying him £129.44 a second to be alive?

Kill him, that'll save us all the scandal, hassle and expense. FFS

:razz::D

Was he not being booed by the everton fans cos he used to play for liverpool.

Didn't just come from them.

No, but I can't believe anyone (ok, maybe the odd moronic twattish cretin) would be booing Owen before he came on! The only booing I heard was as Martins was making his way off; something I attribute to folk wanting him to stay on - as well as Owen - to try to win the game.

And I think its a disgrace that we cannot stop him playing for another team, no matter who they are. Would we let him run out for his pub team just because they were about to qualify for the LCL Trophy? Would we shite. I think we should have total control over all his activities, including when he gets to sleep with his missus, the frequency and volume of his stools, blinks per minute and ejaculatory output.

Aye, and as we don't have a patio under which to bury him, we can put him under the brick carpet (or whatever it's called) next to the old ticket office!! :D

No, but I can't believe anyone (ok, maybe the odd moronic twattish cretin) would be booing Owen before he came on! The only booing I heard was as Martins was making his way off; something I attribute to folk wanting him to stay on - as well as Owen - to try to win the game.

From somewhere like, ooh, Byker perhaps ??? :razz::D

Well, most people were applauding Martins (who was gash btw :razz: ) and then cheering Owen coming on. The booing was coming from the odd moronic twattish cretin.

Well, most people were applauding Martins (who was gash btw :razz: ) and then cheering Owen coming on. The booing was coming from the odd moronic twattish cretin.

That's that sorted then! :D

well what's the worst that can happen? He'll play for England, get injured so we take the FA to court again and get Micky's wages paid for the nest few months while he recovers. :D

well what's the worst that can happen? He'll play for England, get injured so we take the FA to court again and get Micky's wages paid for the nest few months while he recovers. :D

And what about the poor pub team man?! Lose their star player thus forced to languish in the Skol league forever. It's this kind of do-gooder shilly-shallying that's bringing this nation to it's knees.

Maaaaaarp!

The Sun making something out of nothing tbh - only their headline combined with the first line makes it look like a "stinging rebuke". Take one without the other and it's a player saying that he listens to the advice of his surgeon.

Btw Sammy, I doubt it was a press release. In England, we call them interviews. You answer questions that people ask you. :razz:

You've put as much a positive spin on it as the Sun put a negative one. It's not a player just saying he takes the advice of his surgeon, but that he'll listen exclusively to that advice and has chosen to completely discount his club managers opinion. That's not him saying Sam won't dictate when he plays either, but I think it's newsworthy.

“I’ll listen to the surgeon and not anyone else because she knows what she is talking about.

“I’ve been pushing myself through a lot of pain for about six weeks — even before the last two internationals.”

“It’s unbelievable. It feels great. It’s much stronger than when I went in.

“I’ll listen to the surgeon and not anyone else because she knows what she is talking about.

I don't care if I am a divvie but I find that statement fucking disgusting.