Owen: Don't tell me when to play, Sam

Jimbo

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he's better than Martins but what is the fucking point of this press release?

Twat.

I don't think that's from a press release, I think it's cherry picked out-of-context quotes from the BBC post match interview, tabloided up for consumption.

Nearly as shit an article as this: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/h...icle2625330.ece

The woman who organised it all was on the radio tonight saying she's perfectly happy with the money received so far, it's above her expectations in fact. Dismissed the story as nonsense.

Fucking fish and chip paper.

Joey Barton back on England attack

By Rob Stewart

Last Updated: 1:22am BST 10/10/2007

Joey Barton yesterday ran the risk of re-opening old wounds with his international peers by making the contentious assertion that they "get carried away" about representing England.

As well as suggesting the international stage was over-rated, Newcastle's spiky midfielder, who has a solitary England cap, also insisted he was more interested in winning honours with his club than his country.

Barton is no stranger to ruffling feathers and his latest candid interview follows the derisive remarks he made about England players, such as Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand, all publishing autobiographies after England's exit at the last World Cup.

As well as pouring scorn on their literary efforts, Barton also attacked Sven-Goran Eriksson's former charges last summer for playing as "a team of individuals playing for themselves and not wanting to do the nasty things involved in being a team".

Barton, 25, whose Newcastle team-mates include England duo Michael Owen and Alan Smith, has clearly not modified his views about England players. "People get carried away about playing for their country," he said yesterday. "It's always nice to be selected, and it is always a privilege and an honour. But the thing I have to do first and foremost is to do what I have been bought to do and that is play good football for Newcastle.

"If England comes then so be it, but I have played for them once now and that'll do for me. I am more interested in winning domestic honours.

advertisement"This is my bread and butter and at the minute — hand on heart — I would much rather be successful for Newcastle United than I would for England.

"England is on the back-burner for me, without a shadow of a doubt. I haven't been bought to play for England — I am here to play for Newcastle United." Huyton-born Barton, who joined Newcastle from Manchester City in a £5.8 million deal last June, gained international recognition eight months ago when he came on as a substitute in the 1-0 defeat by Spain at Old Trafford.

He failed to retain his place in the squad and missed the start of the season after being struck by the curse of the metatarsal injury. But he is now setting his sights on making his club debut a week on Monday when Tottenham visit St James' Park for a match that England head coach Steve McClaren is likely to attend.

After opening the scoring in a 3-1 victory over Wigan's reserves on Monday, Barton's comeback will gather pace in a behind-closed-doors friendly against a Rangers side today

Guest Patrokles
Adrian 'Bull' Durham & Ian 'Wright,Wright' Wright are on talkshite about the whole carry on now,sick of hearing about it and the sooner Mr England gets his head out of his three lions cave the better.

Don't listen to it then.

Guest Patrokles

tbf, Allardyce does use the press a lot more than perhaps he should, which might cause a little tension. But, really, you're being pie-in-the-sky to think that every footballer who plays for us is going to name their firstborn 'Paul Geordie Toon Brown Ale Smith.' I would rather have a player who isn't bothered about us who scores frequently than someone who bums the club but doesn't actually contribute anything on the pitch.

tbf I agree with Pat. I wouldn't give a fuck if he played every game for England, lived dahn sarf, was on a diet of jellied eels and walked around with his thumbs in the lapels of a pearly king outfit. As long as he played in Newcastles games. If he starts against Spurs the whole discussion is moot. Fingers crossed, he will.

He may have a few fair points but why release something like this? I'll have Anelka in Jan please and flog the little'un if he wants to get all too big for the club on us.

I'd have Anelka here too. Instead of Martins.

I'd have Ameobi gone as soon as the clock strikes 12.00.01AM to be fair. I'd keep Martins personally. I know he's accuracy rate doesn't compare to Owen and Viduka's but he provides unpredictability off the bench. He seems to recognise the fact he isn't as valued as when he originally came to the club. So long as he knows he has a part to play and he can cope with coming off the bench when Viduka and Owen are both fit, then I want him to stay. Anelka would spit chips if he wasn't picked in the first eleven. He would cause unwanted disharmony imho, and we don't want to go back to those unfortunate days.

He may have a few fair points but why release something like this? I'll have Anelka in Jan please and flog the little'un if he wants to get all too big for the club on us.

I'd have Anelka here too. Instead of Martins.

I'd have Ameobi gone as soon as the clock strikes 12.00.01AM to be fair. I'd keep Martins personally. I know he's accuracy rate doesn't compare to Owen and Viduka's but he provides unpredictability off the bench. He seems to recognise the fact he isn't as valued as when he originally came to the club. So long as he knows he has a part to play and he can cope with coming off the bench when Viduka and Owen are both fit, then I want him to stay. Anelka would spit chips if he wasn't picked in the first eleven. He would cause unwanted disharmony imho, and we don't want to go back to those unfortunate days.

Naturally I'd take Anelka over Ameobi. :razz:

evolving the argument a little; if it's assumed that Owen should start, and we agree that Owens and Martins can't operate together... who should start beside Owen?

I like Viduka I think his strength, ability to hold the ball and he has got a great touch. However, his movement, stamina and commitment is certainly up for inspection.

Smith has shown he's not a midfielder, he has good vision, linked very well with Martins in the two games they've played together up front. He's committed and very hard working. He is not a natural finisher, does not have the physical presence of Mark and is prone to picking up bookings like Gemmile does Erasure tickets.

I'm a fan of horses for courses, but I don't think any of the four strikers we have will be content to sit on the bench for large periods of the season.

Probably Owen / Smith & Viduka / Martins are the two best combos out of those four.

;)

I would have put Owen / Viduka and Smith / Martins...

I reckon Viduka's bludgeon approach suits Owens more direct approach, while Smith could make better use of Martins' movement and pace.

some of the "round the corner" passes by Smith against Everton were exceptional

Not a fan of the fatman?

To be fair, haven't really seen much of him playing with Owen so can't really comment, just going by what I saw when Smith and Owen were up top for England recently and the Everton game, seemed to work very well.

Probably Owen / Smith & Viduka / Martins are the two best combos out of those four.

;)

I reckon Viduka's bludgeon approach suits Owens more direct approach, while Smith could make better use of Martins' movement and pace.

What movement?

:icon_lol:

What movement?

When he chases the ball after it bounces 20 yards away from his first 'touch' ;)

Just thought mentioning his movement was strange as it isn't a strength of his. Owen's is far better.

And Owen is considerably better at not making up outrageous 'I was nearly shot, honest' stories.

maybe I should say that he's more mobile than Owen... more willing to run into the channels...

Is he? I think he rarely makes any runs into channels. At least not anticipatory runs. He does chase balls hit into any direction though...

If both are in form, Viduka-Owen, has to be. I have confidence in Sam whipping the fat man into shape and getting all scientific on him. Much like fat little Emre, if both these players are in the best shape of their life they will be valuable assets to us creatively. Vid is a good enough footballer to play in that Sheringhamesque role, and with someone like Owen in front of him it would work very well imo.