Owen: Don't tell me when to play, Sam

Jimbo

The Sun making something out of nothing tbh - only their headline combined with the first line makes it look like a "stinging rebuke". Take one without the other and it's a player saying that he listens to the advice of his surgeon.

Btw Sammy, I doubt it was a press release. In England, we call them interviews. You answer questions that people ask you. :razz:

You've put as much a positive spin on it as the Sun put a negative one. It's not a player just saying he takes the advice of his surgeon, but that he'll listen exclusively to that advice and has chosen to completely discount his club managers opinion. That's not him saying Sam won't dictate when he plays either, but I think it's newsworthy.

“I’ll listen to the surgeon and not anyone else because she knows what she is talking about.

“Could I play against Estonia? I don’t see why not. The surgeon tells me nothing can go wrong in terms of the operation.

“I know the manager here said I did it in the last international matches but I was playing in pain even before them.”

“I’ve been pushing myself through a lot of pain for about six weeks — even before the last two internationals.”

“It’s unbelievable. It feels great. It’s much stronger than when I went in.

“As long as you can manage the pain, it won’t get any worse. Thankfully now I can go out and not feel any pain. I’m available for both sides I represent.”

Great insight HF, stick to films son :D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

“I’ll listen to the surgeon and not anyone else because she knows what she is talking about.

I don't care if I am a divvie but I find that statement fucking disgusting.

You're not the only one.

It's funny that some people on here are quick to take the piss when people jump to the defence of Martins, but dare say a word about Owen and you're hounded out the conversation pretty quickly.

If this was a story about Martins, I'm sure the reactions from some would be very different.

Yes Owen's a class player, but he's also a class twat imo.

You're not the only one.

It's funny that some people on here are quick to take the piss when people jump to the defence of Martins, but dare say a word about Owen and you're hounded out the conversation pretty quickly.

If this was a story about Martins, I'm sure the reactions from some would be very different.

Aye, no one defends Martins in an over the top way. Ever.

The Sun making something out of nothing tbh - only their headline combined with the first line makes it look like a "stinging rebuke". Take one without the other and it's a player saying that he listens to the advice of his surgeon.

Btw Sammy, I doubt it was a press release. In England, we call them interviews. You answer questions that people ask you. :razz:

You've put as much a positive spin on it as the Sun put a negative one. It's not a player just saying he takes the advice of his surgeon, but that he'll listen exclusively to that advice and has chosen to completely discount his club managers opinion. That's not him saying Sam won't dictate when he plays either, but I think it's newsworthy.

“Could I play against Estonia? I don’t see why not. The surgeon tells me nothing can go wrong in terms of the operation.

“I know the manager here said I did it in the last international matches but I was playing in pain even before them.”

“I’ve been pushing myself through a lot of pain for about six weeks — even before the last two internationals.”

“As long as you can manage the pain, it won’t get any worse. Thankfully now I can go out and not feel any pain. I’m available for both sides I represent.”

Ya reet like, I can't compete with you, I mean that response was worthy of Brian Woolnough.

I like the fact Owen is a great player and when he plays for us scores goals. But the key word there is when. He has shown that he cares more about playing for England than for Newcastle. This is not a horribly bad thing but it isn't a fantastic thing either. I think Owen in his words to the press and I admit here I can only go by what I read so am aware it is probably not the full picture has shown that he is getting annoyed by sentiment in the North East that he doesn't care. Well I am afraid that the fans have a right to their opinions this is because he has played so little for NUFC and this has had a detremental effect on the team as a whole. I think he should just shut up and keep his head down rather than have a go at the people who ultimately pay his wages.

Ya reet like, I can't compete with you, I mean that response was worthy of Brian Woolnough.

:D That better?

Its not so much that he's played little - I'm just sick of the obvious statements that show that he cares at least as much (if not more) about playing for England than playing for us. I fully admit to being someone who doesn't care about England but this does affect us. Even if he is right about the recent England games not being a factor (which I doubt) they have been a factor in other injuries he's had.

I know people who do care about England want to see him play for both - fair enough and I wouldn't stop him but I think a sense of priorities without necessarily playing the "who pays his wages" card would be nice.

Its not just about Owen either - Shearer was the same before he packed England in - a fact people forget but one which stops him being the God to me he is to others.

I'm more bothered Owen scored the winner personally. But hey...

Great but how many winners could there have been?

Sorry, too cryptic.

Sorry, too cryptic.

More games = more chance of winners.

Sorry, too cryptic.

More games = more chance of winners.

You're not wrong.

You're not the only one.

^ This sounds familiar.

I'm of two minds about this story, I do think the Sun is trying to blow it out of proportion with phrases like "stinging rebuke." That, however, is their job. I don't think people going "nothing story" have read the article closely enough - Owen is quoted as saying two things that bear watching. The first is that he's not interested in anyone's advice but that of his surgeon. Of course a player should listen to his medical advice. But this is clearly worded to put his manager out of consideration, which I believe to be absurd. The second is "I'm available for both sides I represent." I'll leave it to you to consider the implications of that statement.

I saw the full interview on MotD and think it's a nothing story.

Perhaps we are picking over his words a bit finely but I think thats his "fault" as it were. I still think the "and nobody else" deserves comment though - if for example he'd said "first and foremost" then thats fine - the former though does suggest a dig at Allarydyce to some degree which I think is what has boosted the story.

The manager here....

:razz:

Edited down from: 'That fat twat...' :D

Seriously, as usual with Owen who actually keeps himself to himself with the press, this is only a story because Sam started commenting on Owen and England. I hoped he was smarter than that really.

the thing is though, I didn't feel Sam's comments about England were negative. He wouldn't have put Owen on the bench on Sunday if he didn't want him to play with England. He just said that he hopes England are 'careful' with him right? Given his history this is wholly understandable tbh.

He may have a few fair points but why release something like this? I'll have Anelka in Jan please and flog the little'un if he wants to get all too big for the club on us.

I'd have Anelka here too. Instead of Martins.

Edited by alex

Adrian 'Bull' Durham & Ian 'Wright,Wright' Wright are on talkshite about the whole carry on now,sick of hearing about it and the sooner Mr England gets his head out of his three lions cave the better.

The tabloids are really hating the fact that since Fat Fred and his lot have been dumped, and Roeder is gone the toon soap opera which kept them in work is over so a continual stream of bullshit, hype and mass exageration and shit stirring is their only recourse now.

All Owen has said that is remotely worthy of comment is the "and nobody else" part of his interview and even that is hardly earth shattering. He's going with the expert who operate on him and hundreds of others and knows better than anyone else. Its just not the best turn of phrase to imply that Big Sam and his experts will have no say whatsoever in what happens. But really all he is doing is playing if he thinks his body can take it and that's what he's always goign to do as he always wants to play for club and country, nobody will change that.

The rest of it is a simple difference of opinion, Sam thought he did the injury with England and Owen revealled he did it before then, wow, what controversy, best kick him out the club now!