Owen: Don't tell me when to play, Sam

Jimbo

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Viduka and Owen, the only worry would be lack of pace in the team when we play away from home, apart from N'Zogbia down the left there isn't any.

duff? assuming he ever regains his chelsea form has got a bit of pace about him.

i agree though that we're short in the pace department. a more mobile viduka would have been the perfect partner for owen.

Just thought mentioning his movement was strange as it isn't a strength of his. Owen's is far better.

That's one of the main differences.

You could remove still more of Owen's pace (although he's not really that slow) and he'd still be a good Premiership striker.

But if you removed Martins pace I'm not sure he'd be playing league football at all (ok that may be a little harsh, but his pace makes up for a LOT in his game).

Just thought mentioning his movement was strange as it isn't a strength of his. Owen's is far better.

You could remove still more of Owen's pace (although he's not really that slow) and he'd still be a good Premiership striker.

But if you removed Martins pace I'm not sure he'd be playing league football at all (ok that may be a little harsh, but his pace makes up for a LOT in his game).

I don't think it is too harsh. You know what Martins reminds me of? You know on The Match when Martin Offiah was playing up front for the celebs? He looked like a sportsman, he was quick, and you wouldn't have known he wasn't a footballer until he took possession of the ball (when I say took possession, I mean when it bounced off him). Martins has a better shot on him though, I'll give him that.

I don't think it is too harsh. You know what Martins reminds me of? You know on The Match when Martin Offiah was playing up front for the celebs? He looked like a sportsman, he was quick, and you wouldn't have known he wasn't a footballer until he took possession of the ball (when I say took possession, I mean when it bounced off him). Martins has a better shot on him though, I'll give him that.

harsh but funny ;)

harsh but funny :icon_lol:

The weird thing is that this lad has his name sung at SJP, he's cheered to the rafters on and off the pitch, and yet he's not half the player Owen is. And all because he says in the press how much he loves playing for us, and he happens not to have been injured. ;) It's that easy to pull the wool over the eyes of your average fan in SJP. Can't fucking control a ball to save his life, but he tells us we're great and that'll do for half the ground.

I think people would cheer any mug who puts the ball in the net. Lua-Lua has been cheered, Ameobi... even Boumsong! So I wouldn't use popularity as a barometer of quality.

the whole point is that Obafemi Martins is a decent premiership striker, his touch is, at time, awful. But other times it's glorious, the goal against Man City was evidence of that. I honestly believe that touch can be taught and is not one of those elusive qualities like vision or invention that need to be mapped to a players DNA for them to manifest on the pitch. Steve mentioned something about Owen touching the ball infrequently and this is certainly not something that can be leveled at Martins. He's busier.

I know Gemmil often has a player he likes to say is talentless (often over-exaggerating the purported lack of skill) but I equally recognise Martins is in no way the player that Owen is.

At the moment however, he has a decent strike record for the club, does work hard and is young enough to improve (as long as he's 22 and not 28).

Touch can certainly be taught, but it also needs to be learned. If he's not learned it by 22 (or worse, 28) then one has to conclude that he's probably not going to. He's played in Serie A lest we forget so no doubt he's worked with some good coaches.

Anyways he's not as bad as Gemmill makes out and I'm sure you'll agree that the criticism is bitterly ironic coming from a man who plays football in a kimono and couldn't trap a bag of wet cement.

Regarding my main concern of Owen playing for England...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...nplastic111.xml

As I mentioned, he expressed concerns about this when the fixture venue was announced some months ago.

Yep I read it: http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20072007/4/o...stic-pitch.html

I hope Owen is still sensible about this issue. I hoped that the pitch in Russia might have a more modern surface. Just from my own experience, playing on artificial pitches with a 'new' cruciate ligament is really painful.

Ok, it's time to look at the facts.

Since Michael Owen joined Newcastle at the end of August 2005 he has started 16 games for England (including two "B" internationals) and started 17 games for Newcastle.

If Owen is in the starting line-up for the next two England games he will have started more times for his country than his club. That is a staggering statistic.

To put that in perspective, let's look at the percentage of games played for club and country (including sub appearances):

05/06 06/07 07/08 Tot

England 10/13 3/12 3/3 16/28

77% 25% 100% 57%

Newcastle 11/48 3/57 7/10 21/115

23% 5% 70% 18%

And in terms of minutes played:

05/06 06/07 07/08 Tot

England 670/1200 261/1080 237/270 1168/2550

56% 24% 88% 46%

Newcastle 883/4320 247/5160 340/900 1470/10380

20% 5% 38% 14%

Perhaps Martin and his tabloid pals can see why Newcastle fans might feel a little aggrieved. The fact that Owen's major injury occurred playing for England after being rushed back for the World Cup, also hasn't improved feelings....

Of course, the timing and extent of Owen's injuries affect the games played but shouldn't the above percentages be a little closer?

You'd have thought an injury would prevent a player playing for club and country in equal measures.

Whatever. Make up your own mind but for journalists to be outraged at a club and its fans wondering if one of its players is using his club to further his international career is a little hypocritical.

After all, those same journalists declared when Owen signed for Newcastle from Real Madrid that he did so out of desperation to save his international career.

For us, Owen's silence over the summer when challenged by Freddy Shepherd spoke volumes. He certainly seems only too willing to make his feelings known this week while he is out of the region....

We also noticed his cupped-ear celebrations on Sunday. Who was that aimed at? Perhaps he misinterpreted the booing (mostly from the away section) that greeted his arrival and Martins' departure.

Newcastle fans may be some of the most ambivalent followers of the national team in England but that was never a problem when Macdonald, Shearer, Milburn, Beardsley, Ferdinand, Lee, Batty etc. put on the three lions.

Edited by Barney

For us, Owen's silence over the summer when challenged by Freddy Shepherd spoke volumes.

That's frankly crap, he said himself he doesn't comment because whatever he says never makes a difference. Have a look at some of the recent posts on here, even after he has commented. People will not be told, so why should he bother?

"The fact that Owen's major injury occurred playing for England.. hasn't improved feelings...."

Did Shearer never get injured for England? Tell me how Micheal Owen arranges when/where he gets injured, just to piss us off? Why don't you just say what you mean, you don't want him playing for England, in which case he would never have been here and we wouldn't be having this frankly ridiculous conversation.

"You'd have thought an injury would prevent a player playing for club and country in equal measures."

Can you actually explain this in a logical manner? You're trying to use a statistical extrapolation from a sample of 2 injuries. You could have possibly had a case if premiership games and England games were spread evenly throughout the year, but everyone knows this is not the case.

On your logic, shouldn't England have a bigger case to moan because Owen was injured in their most important part of the season? And don't talk about wages because as you rightly point out that only seems to matter for this particular NUFC England player, no others in this club's history.

For us, Owen's silence over the summer when challenged by Freddy Shepherd spoke volumes.

That's frankly crap, he said himself he doesn't comment because whatever he says never makes a difference. Have a look at some of the recent posts on here, even after he has commented. People will not be told, so why should he bother?

"The fact that Owen's major injury occurred playing for England.. hasn't improved feelings...."

Did Shearer never get injured for England? Tell me how Micheal Owen arranges when/where he gets injured, just to piss us off? Why don't you just say what you mean, you don't want him playing for England, in which case he would never have been here and we wouldn't be having this frankly ridiculous conversation.

"You'd have thought an injury would prevent a player playing for club and country in equal measures."

Can you actually explain this in a logical manner? You're trying to use a statistical extrapolation from a sample of 2 injuries. You could have possibly had a case if premiership games and England games were spread evenly throughout the year, but everyone knows this is not the case.

On your logic, shouldn't England have a bigger case to moan because Owen was injured in their most important part of the season? And don't talk about wages because as you rightly point out that only seems to matter for this particular NUFC England player, no others in this club's history.

I should have mentioned that it was a nufc.com piece, and not my thoughts on the matter at all.

Willing to speak to anyone who listens apart from when a word was actually needed imo to clarify his position.

I've said before I treat Owen's "over-loyalty" to England in the same way I treated Shearer's - with contempt.

I'm also of the opinion that if he hadn't deliberately eased himself back in at the end of the season prior to the world cup then he would have been fitter and aharper and probably wouldn't have been injured.

I don't care if he plays for England - I do care how much he wants to play for us.

Willing to speak to anyone who listens apart from when a word was actually needed imo to clarify his position.

I've said before I treat Owen's "over-loyalty" to England in the same way I treated Shearer's - with contempt.

I'm also of the opinion that if he hadn't deliberately eased himself back in at the end of the season prior to the world cup then he would have been fitter and aharper and probably wouldn't have been injured.

I don't care if he plays for England - I do care how much he wants to play for us.

You held Shearer in contempt? You must be the only one then

And fitness had nothing to do with that injury, I'm fed up of pointing out these basic facts to you Owen bashers.

You held Shearer in contempt? You must be the only one then

And fitness had nothing to do with that injury, I'm fed up of pointing out these basic facts to you Owen bashers.

For the fact that he always put England before us (pre-retirement for England which I admire him for) - yes - thats why he isn't a "god" to me - a hero yes but not as much as others.

One thing I've noticed over the past few years - players who aren't match fit/sharp are more prone to injuries than those who are - thats why Souness' "bring 'em back asap" policy was so costly. I think its naive top think the fact that he'd played an hour or so in 7 months wasn't a factor.

For the fact that he always put England before us (pre-retirement for England which I admire him for) - yes - thats why he isn't a "god" to me - a hero yes but not as much as others.

One thing I've noticed over the past few years - players who aren't match fit/sharp are more prone to injuries than those who are - thats why Souness' "bring 'em back asap" policy was so costly. I think its naive top think the fact that he'd played an hour or so in 7 months wasn't a factor.

how did he put England before us? ever? ;)