Michael Owen and his relationship with the toon fans

Guest stevieintoon

Owen  

84 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When Owen was at Liverpool, the scousers were sick of him rushing back to play for England and despite Owen being a boyhood Liverpool fan, his popularity always paled in comparison to Fowlers' at Anfield.

It's the way Owen always has been and the way he always will be. He's a country before club merchant unlike some others. It would be the same if Owen was at ManUtd, or back at Liverpool. He's at Newcastle by choice, hasn't requested a transfer and whilst he has been on the pitch has done his best and scored a fair few goals.

I know the above might be a slightly positive spin on things, but I think the lads done fuck all wrong aside from being injured and not giving Anal exlusives about the "Geordie Nayshun" every week.

Edited by Barney

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldnt give a shite that we are not Owens no. one club, if he said we were Id be more worried as we'd know it was bollocks. All I want is players to come here and give it their all on the pitch. In my view, he does just that. At this moment I couldnt think of someone who would be in his class that we could get. This said, there is the arguement that as good as he is, with injuries he's only a 10 goal a season striker these days which we could get. But, knocks aside, I reckon we could get 15+ from him this season. Additionally, he could do better once our team improves going forward.

We know Liverpool is his club. Good for him and its totally irrelevant.

As for the England thing, of course he wants to play for England but he wont unless he is playing for us. He played for us in the last game so no reason he cant play for England. We know he likes his England games and thats the deal with having an England player much like Given going to Ireland etc.

The injuries of course have been a piss take and very unfortunate, but not Owens fault? Unlucky yes. Hopefully now he can get back and put in a good season for us. If he did get injured again I would sell him, but this would be due to injuries and yes we'd loose a fortune on the deal. But Id have nothing against him for it.

He's a professional and has been unlucky with injuries. I dont buy into the "We Hate Owen" club sponsored by the media that many seem all to easy to jump on.

Starting protests against players for fuck all is so fucking stupid anyway, I'm sure we'd get plenty of good signings then, everyone would want to be at SJP. :D

Not saying its a good thing and I am not saying they should, but if they are going to stand up and talk shit about the lad then they may as well fucking start a protest of some sort, or maybe a hate club :razz:

Who's talking shit? As far as I'm concerned it's the geeky majority on here who are talking shit. People are afraid to have an alternative view from the masses for fear of ridicule even when the obvious is staring them in the face. A member of this board was playing for my five a side team last night, and his views on Owen differ from mine and I respect his opinion, but he hit something squarely on the head by saying a lot of people on these people on message boards are geeks.

If you actually go out and speak to people in Newcastle in pubs, in bookies, in work, where ever you will find a significant minority share my views on Michael Owen, for reasons I have given numerous times, I don't just think he's a bit of a money grabbing bastard, I think he's actually a disgrace.

Most people are complete morons. Just speak to someone with an IQ of 100 to see what I mean.

But I don't see how that has anything to Owen and Newcastle though. He's better than anyone else we would get, he plays well for us (on balance), he's just not played enough for us.

He doesn't love Newcastle, he probably wouldn't die for shirt (but then NO ONE actually would), but that's no different to most of our new defence, here to play for money in the end.

I heard that about him actually(like Carra, Fowler and McManaman).

Bellamy was terrible for coming back from injury, heading off with Wales and coming back knackered. I remember Sir Bob having knicker fits with Mark Hughes.

I think Owen is a model pro i.e I don't think he'd ever not give 100% when he's out there, his goalscoring record for someone who doesn't give a shit is excellent tbf. However, there are two factors that have brought us to this point where some fans are actually turning against him;

1) His injuries. If he hadn't have had the long lay off, caused by playing for England, and then the niggles here and there that have forced him to play one game here and there, then I don't think he'd be getting as much stick. Would he rather be fit for England than us? Open to debate.

2) The press. Stirring the shit whenever they can. You have to remember, from day one at the press conference the press were putting in the digs about him signing for us. Even the beeb are using headlines like 'Owen to be fit for England' 'Owen to miss England Qualifier'. Piss poor, but the way the southern press are I'm afraid. That article from Martin Samuel last week was a disgrace like. But let's face it, if you read the national press, there are only 5 teams in the Premier League. And all of Englands 'stars' should play for them. We should all know that by now.

I think we are lucky to have a player like Owen when you consider the state the club was in before BS and Uncle Mike came in. No European football and a shambolic defence plus a load average players.

He is without doubt the most natural striker in the Premiership and his goals record for us is very good, OK he has had 1 horrendous injury followed by a few niggles but now he looks to be on the road to recovery and I think the England games will do him good, as long as he doesnt get smashed.

Compare him to Oba, Shola or Smith and there is no contest as to who will get the most goals, granted he doesnt have the passion of Smith but does that matter if he is banging them in?

IF we flogged him in Jan then who could we get that

A. Would want to come to us

B. Would have the passion and commitment that Owen lacks (allegedly)

C Has the proven scoring record Owen has

D Can fit right into the team alongside Viduka

I cant think of anyone TBH

Starting protests against players for fuck all is so fucking stupid anyway, I'm sure we'd get plenty of good signings then, everyone would want to be at SJP. :rolleyes:

Not saying its a good thing and I am not saying they should, but if they are going to stand up and talk shit about the lad then they may as well fucking start a protest of some sort, or maybe a hate club ;)

Who's talking shit? As far as I'm concerned it's the geeky minority on here who are talking shit. People are afraid to have an alternative view from the masses for fear of ridicule even when the obvious is staring them in the face. A member of this board was playing for my five a side team last night, and his views on Owen differ from mine and I respect his opinion, but he hit something squarely on the head by saying a lot of people on these people on message boards are geeks.

If you actually go out and speak to people in Newcastle in pubs, in bookies, in work, where ever you will find a significant minority share my views on Michael Owen, for reasons I have given numerous times, I don't just think he's a bit of a money grabbing bastard, I think he's actually a disgrace.

And that's your standard argument against anyone who disagrees with you too, isn't it? I've met enough people off here to know they're opinionated and not sheep on Toon matters. Arguing on a message board is geeky by definition btw.

I'm not arguing. I'm just telling you what I think.

:icon_lol: OK.

I don't know what the problem is - just cos he isn't a gobshite who shouts his mouth off about loving the club/fans etc. he gets castigated. Fact is when he plays he scores and is better than 99% of any other strikers doing that. Do you really think Anelka would show any more love/committment than him for the club? i think not and that would go for any of the worlds top strikers.

Yes he loves playing for England but if one the greatest world cup moments in English history(the argentina goal)was created and experienced by anybody at that age it would leave a positive feeling in them to play for their country that would last for the rest of their lives.

He is a glory boy but when he gets a run of games and scores in the majority of them then thank god he is ours and not some frenchie whingeing on about moving to a BIG club every five minutes.

We're in danger here of this becoming a Bellamy thread.

For me, Owen is committed and will score for us on a regular basis. It's just unfortunate, for NUFC, that his 'fitness' has coincided with numerous Engerlund games which seem to come around far more regular these days (it seems) and he got that year-long injury playing for Engerlund playing in Germany.

Committed enough to sign a contract extension?

I think he's a cunt

CYP

WE are a much bigger club than Bolton, fan base, stadium etc. I feel he has reached a stage in his career also where he is more sensible now. Married, no longer a boy with greedy agent brothers. He knows Sam, there are a few muslims in the team, and the french speaking contingent would help him also. I never heard of him being moody at Bolton, he's got on with the job fine. Don't think it's all that unrealistic him coming here, didn't he also say in the past he wanted to come here? Souness wanted him right but got Owen because Fenerbache were being ridiculous?

This is all of course if we sell Owen which will most likely not happen as all this talk is most likely a fat load of bollocks. As long as the wee man keeps scoring and stays fit, many of us I'm sure would like to keep him =)

Edited by bassplayerjj

WE are a much bigger club than Bolton, fan base, stadium etc. I feel he has reached a stage in his career also where he is more sensible now. Married, no longer a boy with greedy agent brothers. He knows Sam, there are a few muslims in the team, and the french speaking contingent would help him also. I never heard of him being moody at Bolton, he's got on with the job fine. Don't think it's all that unrealistic him coming here, didn't he also say in the past he wanted to come here? Souness wanted him right but got Owen because Fenerbache were being ridiculous?

This is all of course if we sell Owen which will most likely not happen as all this talk is most likely a fat load of bollocks. As long as the wee man keeps scoring and stays fit, many of us I'm sure would like to keep him =)

Anelka signed a new contract after Sam left.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2159039,00.html

steve, do you want rid of Taylor, Emre, Rozenhal, Cacapa, Geremi, Barton, Martins, Viduka, Given, Beye, Enrique, Butt, Smith, Milner and N'Zogbia too?

They’ve all signed for Newcastle for the pay packet or to use it as a career progression and certainly not out of any love for the club. They'd all love to play for their country and would answer any questions put to them in the same manner that Owen has. Many of those players have intimated that they'd look elsewhere if they; weren't starting, weren't being paid enough or if a suitable suitor were to approach... isn't this enough to get a foul mouthed tirade from you?

I think you're vilifying Owen to satisfy some need to dislike a member of the playing staff and now that Bramble, Dyer et al have departed, you're lashing out at somebody, anybody you can.

Was talking to a lass the other day who doesn't tell lies. Her cousin went to a talk in where Michael Owen was on last week.

Apparently someone stood up, and gans "I haven't got a question, I've just got a statement for you Michael. I want you to understand that the majority of Newcastle United fans don't care about you, and we think that is reciprocated by yourself. All you were ever bothered about was England, and I think everybody would be happy if we parted company, as it would be the best for all concerned."

Well over half the people in the hall cheered.

Can I ask what I thought was an obvious question but no one's raised:

What was Owens reply?

the other issuethat strikes me as pertinent is.. just because this lass doesn't tell porkies has no bearing on whether or not her cousin is feeding her a big slice of Bollocks and Gravy

Was talking to a lass the other day who doesn't tell lies. Her cousin went to a talk in where Michael Owen was on last week.

Apparently someone stood up, and gans "I haven't got a question, I've just got a statement for you Michael. I want you to understand that the majority of Newcastle United fans don't care about you, and we think that is reciprocated by yourself. All you were ever bothered about was England, and I think everybody would be happy if we parted company, as it would be the best for all concerned."

Well over half the people in the hall cheered.

Can I ask what I thought was an obvious question but no one's raised:

What was Owens reply?

" ;):icon_lol: "

I think you're vilifying Owen to satisfy some need to dislike a member of the playing staff and now that Bramble, Dyer et al have departed, you're lashing out at somebody, anybody you can.

Why was Dyer so vilified? Talented player that was very injury prone who tried the patience of fans and inflamed their ire. Difference is Dyer wasn't good enough to be a key England player so the question of him playing MORE internationals than club games never arose. I don't think there were many fans sad to see the back of him. So far you'd have to say Owen has been a far more costly luxury.....but he can be a far more valuable asset, if he plays games.

If he plays, say, 25 - 30 games this season for Newcastle I'll not be complaining.

Guest stevieintoon
the other issuethat strikes me as pertinent is.. just because this lass doesn't tell porkies has no bearing on whether or not her cousin is feeding her a big slice of Bollocks and Gravy

That's the second time you've repeated what other people have said, you should be forming your own opinions at 33 years of age. Don't shoot the messenger.

For the other lad, Owen's reaction was apparently along the lines of " :icon_lol:;) "

Owen has never struck me as trying not to avoid playing for Newcastle, he seems to want to play but happenstance prohibits it. When he has played, he's done well scoring a few goals and looking more dangerous than many players who've made appearances in his stead.

This Anti-Owen stuff in the papers is more about there being little to talk about than any real chasm between club and country.

The thing about Owen is he never talks. Consequently, every man and his dog thinks they know what goes on in his head, and take his silence as validation of their sometimes idiotic viewpoints.

If he left, and you couldn't blame him given the shit he gets, it's Newcastle that lose, not Owen. I'll save my vitriol for the players that have really damaged this club, not on irrelevances like 'Owen doesn't sleep in an NUFC duvet cover - NOTW exclusive'.